Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Origins of this particular Dublin accent?

Options
  • 02-04-2010 11:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Iron become arrtin, northern becomes noorthurrin, ties are pronounced the same as toys plus the usual rhyming of book and cook with Luke. I work with a guy, where all the above are commonplace. It pisses me off.

I like to pronounce terrible as terrdidibble every so often for comedy value, but this is not one of his particular idiosyncrasies. I think the latter is a country/city amalgamation.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,215 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think the 'buke' one is a throwback to really old English. Not standard, but not 'wrong'.
    Chaucer used 'buke'.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

bertmc wrote: »
    Iron become arrtin
    They also manage to make Euro into 'Eurdo'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭gonnaplayrugby

my dad is from a well off family but his accent can be horrendous at times:

tylet as opposed to toilet

doweeen as opposed to down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

my dad is from a well off family but his accent can be horrendous at times:

tylet as opposed to toilet

doweeen as opposed to down

Who cares if he's from a well off family? What has that got to do with anything?

Im not from Dublin and I say buke. I dont know why or when it started but I get slagged for it quite a bit now that Im based in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

i say book as in cook, it's the way it's said isn't it? I think the northern thing in op's post comes from false people trying to be something they are not, originally :)

Too may of these blown out of proportion:

http://www.communication-skills.info/elocution-lessons.shtml

I know a few culchies who try this in a posh Dublin accent, as if that's the way they've always spoke, it's fcuking patheitic.

Although if you leave them to rant you'll soon hear their true vocal chords baaahy. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Iron become arrtin, northern becomes noorthurrin, ties are pronounced the same as toys plus the usual rhyming of book and cook with Luke. I work with a guy, where all the above are commonplace. It pisses me off.

I can't think why it should piss you off, unless you're a professional poet and he's making you question the universal appeal of your work.

I like to pronounce terrible as terrdidibble every so often for comedy value...

I'm thinking of doing this myself, and 'd like to know which situations you recommend to maximise the comedy value (e.g. Doctor giving bleak prognosis, Finance minister announcing bad economic news, TV reporter speaking from a war/famine zone, etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bertmc

...is that he prattles on in an ever decreasing loop of anecdotes, witticisms and generalities. So if he says something, I tend to pick up on the most grating element.

as for context when using terrdidibble or variants, the first two would be acceptable - the last would be downright ignorant, as it wouldn't directly involve your own hardship most likely.

I do not mind accents but these foibles sound as if some effort has been exerted in order to bring about their existence. Therefore, not natural and as a result highly irritating.

From other posts, I think a few others agree. It's just a pity it can't be stamped out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Yes, I see what you mean...it's the contrived aspect that grates.

Advertisement