Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Daimler agrees to pay $185 million after admitting bribery'

• 02-04-2010 11:27am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭

I can't find an international business/economy forum on Boards so as it's car related maybe somebody here might be able to answer my question on this article here.

The charges against Daimler were investigated by the US Justice Department and Securities and Exchange Commission even though Daimler 'admitted to paying tens of millions of dollars of bribes to foreign government officials in at least 22 countries.'

My questions therefore are:

1) Why is the Justice Department of a single country investigating bribes in 22 countries? What right in international law does that country have to do this?

2) To whom does Daimler pay this penalty?

3) Is this a simple matter of a US government department keeping watch on foreign companies who use bribes to win foreign contracts over US car companies? Are US car companies engaging in similar activity also prosecuted by the US?

4) Is Daimler only paying this because otherwise there will be consequences for its business in the United States? If this is so, is the EU similarly investigating US companies? Are there any other consequences for Daimler if they did not pay this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

There are a lot of long words in there, we're naught but humble pirates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

Rebelheart wrote: »
    I can't find an international business/economy forum on Boards so as it's car related maybe somebody here might be able to answer my question on this article here.

The charges against Daimler were investigated by the US Justice Department and Securities and Exchange Commission even though Daimler 'admitted to paying tens of millions of dollars of bribes to foreign government officials in at least 22 countries.'

My questions therefore are:

1) Why is the Justice Department of a single country investigating bribes in 22 countries? What right in international law does that country have to do this?

2) To whom does Daimler pay this penalty?

3) Is this a simple matter of a US government department keeping watch on foreign companies who use bribes to win foreign contracts over US car companies? Are US car companies engaging in similar activity also prosecuted by the US?

4) Is Daimler only paying this because otherwise there will be consequences for its business in the United States? If this is so, is the EU similarly investigating US companies? Are there any other consequences for Daimler if they did not pay this?

Thanks.

If Daimler want to do business in the US then must adhere by US law. The law in question here would be the [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act[/FONT] (FCPA). Lots of good info linked from here... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foreign_Corrupt_Practices_Act

It applies to US companies as much as the foreign companies that fall under its scope. Note that the only foreign companies it applies to are those that have to file accounts in the US. I work for a large multinational and we get regular emails reminding us of our company's "Anti-Corruption Policy" and how it's designed to adhere to the FCPA and other [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]similar [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]corrupt business practice [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]laws in other countries[/FONT].

Advertisement