Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Custom Built Carbon Frames in Ireland?

• 02-04-2010 11:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of anywhere in Ireland (preferably Cork) where one can have a carbon frame custom built?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

Cyfac in France. You'll be spending something like 4K€, so you might as well drop another 100 on flying over to get fitted. There are steel/Ti builders in the UK if you prefer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Or a Viner from Worldwidecycles in Clonmel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Morgan wrote: »
    Or a Viner from Worldwidecycles in Clonmel.

^^ that

Also, I think I read that there is a custom option on some Colnagos (the lugged ones), which you should be able to get sized for at any Colnago dealer. No experience myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Jebus! All those options seem very expensive. I'll shortly be out of action for a few months. Was looking to build a bike to keep myself occupied. Might look in to building the actual frame myself also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Lemag wrote: »
    Jebus! All those options seem very expensive. I'll shortly be out of action for a few months. Was looking to build a bike to keep myself occupied. Might look in to building the actual frame myself also.

Did you expect a custom carbon fibre frame to be cheap? They're basically a frivolous luxury unless you're a freak of nature or have a religious devotion to a particular length stem.

Good luck building your own frame. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

knock yourself out
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/carbon_fiber.htm

http://www.bmeres.com/carbonframe1.htm

http://www.carbonmods.co.uk/Products/Carbon-Fibre-Laminating-Starter-Kit__CMCFLK300.aspx

having worked for a certain large uk aero engine manufacturer in their composites facility, dont think i would
    but love to see the results

or do this

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055817865

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Custom geometry frames are always more expensive and nowhere more so than in carbon.

Do you really think you need one? Is your body shape that abnormal?

Buying a stock frame and building it up with the components is a different matter and would be relatively easy.

I guess that i was looking to find out more so if there were any small production workshops building them. Friend of mine told me that he thought there were some over in the UK. Couldn't tell me where though. I'm now looking at ordering a frame from HongFu along with some other carbon bits. Anyone know why I shouldn't?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Couldn't tell me where though. I'm now looking at ordering a frame from HongFu along with some other carbon bits. Anyone know why I shouldn't?

Cos it would ruin this thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,458 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

the Chinese generic frames are getting very popular and I have yet (crosses fingers and hopes I dont jinx it) to come across any that has failed under normal use. As for mine its still in one piece despite have a large fooker putting it through hell.

@ bcmf How have you found it for stiffness and comfort?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Comfort is great. It is fairly stiff and without being overly so. The frames are a lot nicer in real life then in photo's.

Advertisement