Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science Masters

Options
  • 02-04-2010 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Hi all,

Just looking for a bit of advice on masters courses in the area of computer science/software etc

I graduated last year form Trinity College with a 1st in Civil, Structural and Environmental Engineering ans as you can guess been unemployed since (Well apart from setting up my own website and software here www.eiresim.com)

I've decided to apply for a few masters courses in the area of Computer Science/Software and have since applied for two courses again in Trinity.

Just wondering would anyone have any advice on any other institutions. As part of my degree in trinity we did 2 years of common engineering which included a significant amount of c++ and I have recently started to learn java.

Thanks for your help.

Mr. T

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭graduate

Have a look at the HEA Advanced Skills funding list for nearly all IT related programmes in the country. This incudes Computer Science type degrees and other programmes with a mixed content like Geographic Information Systems in Maynooth or Business Analytics in UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

trinity isnt very well regarded for computer science

dcu has a far better reputation for cs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

PeakOutput wrote: »
    trinity isnt very well regarded for computer science

dcu has a far better reputation for cs
    You're kidding me, right?

(That said, the TCD Computer Science Masters are a joke, with the possible exception of IET)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,130 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I've done two Computer Science postgrad courses.

Graduate Diploma in IT at DCU
    M.Sc in Computer Science via negotiated learning in UCD

I originally did an Arts degree and had no kind of computer training at all so the course in DCU was a good start. If you've done engineering then I think the UCD course would be a good one for you to do.

Basically you're allowed make your own course out of a list of modules. I ended up doing mainly 4th year stuff, a couple of 3rd year modules, and some postgrad ones too. Although they give you a list of modules to choose from, you can pretty much take any of the modules from their undergrad course, any of their postgrad modules, and lots of modules in DCU too. So you can choose the modules you think will be actually useful, and you don't have to waste time doing beginner stuff, or kill yourself taking complex postgrad stuff you won't be able for. The choice is yours. At the end of the day you should have learned some useful stuff and you will have a decent computing qualification on your CV. I got onto a grad programme with a big technology consultancy company in Dublin, and they wouldn't have even given me a first round interview had I not had the UCD course on my CV.

Also, both of those courses were part funded by the EU conversion scheme, so it was only about €2k for each of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

snappieT wrote: »
    You're kidding me, right?

what you want me to tell you? in the industry dcu has a far better reputation

i havnt done either course this is from talking to people in the industry who hire graduates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

PeakOutput wrote: »
    what you want me to tell you? in the industry dcu has a far better reputation

i havnt done either course this is from talking to people in the industry who hire graduates

My experience would be to the contrary (at least for the undergraduate programs), but that's probably something we're unlikely to agree on, I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭david p

UCD are looking at introducing a "conversion course" of sorts next year. It's for people who have done courses that are unrelated to IT, so your knowledge of C++ would probably give you a bit of a headstart. Link.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,130 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

That UCD conversion course actually looks very good. Wish that was around 2 years ago, I could have done about 15 months in University instead of 24.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nekro Man

can anyone help me out in this thread?

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055879400

Advertisement