Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Technical Question

• 02-04-2010 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have a few photos of my son that I want to print in one long portrait picture. I was thinking of inserting them into what looks like a negative. Does anyone know of a digital negaive type thing that I could stick my pictures in?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

I don't get you. A digital negative type thing. Do you mean a template?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Are you thinking of printing them digital to film, having the film developed, and pictures made from there? If so... I wouldn't bother.. Just lay it out in Photoshop or Gimp or something like that, make sure it has an sRGB profile (unless you have sophisticated equipment for color-profiling, or the lab you're going to get the prints made at provides them for their equipment.), and get it printed someplace that uses a Fuji Frontier. (I far prefer the output of a frontier to an AGFA or Nortitsu wet-process photographic printer.)
    [this could be done by using a 'template' as asked about above.]

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭armchairninja

I get the feeling that the OP is looking for something like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Until the OP asks a more specific question we could be assuming all day long. I had a look at his flickr and he is using a 5DMkII and Picasa. So my guess is he wants a template-collage type thing-a-magig for use in photoshop. ;)

Saved using an sRGB profile as mentioned above.

oshead wrote: »
    Until the OP asks a more specific question we could be assuming all day long. I had a look at his flickr and he is using a 5DMkII and Picasa. So my guess is he wants a template-collage type thing-a-magig for use in photoshop. ;)

My thoughts too, thats why I linked him to that site, fairly straight forward tutorial to follow on the idea, think it uses elements which is easier again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭el_loco_blanco

That is exactly what I am looking for. Probably called a template. By brain is a bit dead today (lack of alcohol I am putting it down to). Sorry.

I plan to print to an A1 size. Is there anywhere I can get ones in portrait (vertical rather than horizontal) free or otherwise with a high definition so I can print to A1.

I saw some recently by Terry O Neill in the Village Outlet in Kildare and they look great.
    I get the feeling that the OP is looking for something like this

I saw some recently by Terry O Neill in the Village Outlet in Kildare and they look great.

Saw them myself, some very impressive shots indeed, only thing about them pictures is that they were taken with real film ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Hagve you considered WHY you want to do this ? Nothing says crass style over content quite like fake film frames on a digital picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭el_loco_blanco

I wanted this effect because my sons bedroom has a movies theme and I thought it might fit in well with that. I realise that Terry O'Neills is the real thing but there is no harm in trying and seeing what it looks like! It may be crass but I am not planning to exhibit it or look for critical acclaim! Some photography is for personal use! It will be a personal project and if I don't like it or I can't get it working right it is no big loss to me or the art world.

Thanks everyone for your help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Sounds like your use for it is very cute! I hope you get it working, and your son appreciates it. :)
    I wanted this effect because my sons bedroom has a movies theme and I thought it might fit in well with that. I realise that Terry O'Neills is the real thing but there is no harm in trying and seeing what it looks like! It may be crass but I am not planning to exhibit it or look for critical acclaim! Some photography is for personal use! It will be a personal project and if I don't like it or I can't get it working right it is no big loss to me or the art world.

Thanks everyone for your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

actually another way to do it, is i can actually cut you a mount like a film strip

well i can when my computer mount cutter arrives in a couple of weeks

so then could use smaller prints

Advertisement