Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beer festival tomorrow

Options
  • 02-04-2010 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

I'm heading down to Cork tomorrow for the Franciscan Well Easter Fest.
    All the Islands Micro breweries will be represented including some new ones.

Doors open at 2pm I believe. Running Sat and sun. Free entry, just pay for your beer.

I did not see it mentioned here so figured I would post it.

If you have never had a micro brewed beer before then come along. Dont expect tasteless yellow fizzy stuff like Heineken or Carlsberg though :rolleyes:

It's on the North Mall down from the BierHaus.
    Out of date website here.

Found a poster image on one of the brewery sites
    easterfest_ad_rgbproof.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Purple Lemons

Was there last night, dropped my pint in the middle of the floor and it just smashed everywher :(:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭NoDice

Was there last night, dropped my pint in the middle of the floor and it just smashed everywher :(:o

Hate when that happens. I go there alot, sure I practically live nextdoor! :) Last big night I had there I tried to persuade the bar man to give me the plant (that I tried to steal but he caught me and kindly asked for it back.. :o ) for one of my towels (I had been shopping beforehand).. He didn't want my towels.. I still want that plant!

I might actually pop in tomorrow! Sounds good! Cheers saruman!

Get a friend to distract the barman, and then steal and run! :D

Get a friend to distract the barman, and then steal and run! :D

You're a genius! See you there tomorrow so FRIEND!!!!??? Huh huh?? lol.

Ha ha I do it all the time and they're just like:

"Sigh.. It's NoDice again, begs not chasing her.."

"It's ok she's fallen over again...."

"FINE I'll go over and take the plant off her.. Sheesh.."

NoDice wrote: »
    You're a genius! See you there tomorrow so FRIEND!!!!??? Huh huh?? lol.

Ha ha I do it all the time and they're just like:

"Sigh.. It's NoDice again, begs not chasing her.."

"It's ok she's fallen over again...."

"FINE I'll go over and take the plant off her.. Sheesh.."

Love it :D

I'll be dressed in my finest burgalry outfit :cool:

• Advertisement

Love it :D

I'll be dressed in my finest burgalry outfit :cool:

Crap.. I think my balaclava is out for the wash.. :(

Crap.. I think my balaclava is out for the wash.. :(

Damn, got a mask left over from Halloween?

Damn, got a mask left over from Halloween?

No I dressed up as Jasmine from Disney.. I don't think less would be more in this situation.. Damb..

New plan..

Buy a plant and stay away from the Fran Well..

Buy a plant and stay away from the Fran Well..

Where's the fun in that?

Where's the fun in that?

Fair enough.

Plan C..

You are going to juggle knives and blow fire etc on top of the bar to distract everybody...

I'm gonna take off my clothes, put leaves and war paint on and leg it in there, grab the plant and run the fudge home!!!!

We then rendezvous back in the Fran well in normal dress.. "Where did that lovely plant go fair lady??"

They'll never know what hit them..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I never have the cash to go to this and yet I always end up there and smashed. Hmm.

See you guys there I guess.

Fair enough.

Plan C..

You are going to juggle knives and blow fire etc on top of the bar to distract everybody...

I'm gonna take off my clothes, put leaves and war paint on and leg it in there, grab the plant and run the fudge home!!!!

We then rendezvous back in the Fran well in normal dress.. "Where did that lovely plant go fair lady??"

They'll never know what hit them..

My hero!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

That was fun!

Faith wrote: »
    That was fun!

T'was rather. Least busy beerfest yet? Beers were a bit sparse though. Wasn't anything special as far as I could see.

Kold wrote: »
    T'was rather. Least busy beerfest yet? Beers were a bit sparse though. Wasn't anything special as far as I could see.

That doesn't sound good, I'm heading up there in a few hours.

That doesn't sound good, I'm heading up there in a few hours.

Don't bother with the burgers either. Pink as **** on the inside. It's not the usual guy.

It was a bit quiet. There was no queue when we headed in, and still wasn't an hour later. I wasn't getting jostled as much as usual either.
    Don't bother with the burgers either. Pink as **** on the inside. It's not the usual guy.

Really? I queued for one, but when I hadn't moved a step in 10 minutes, I abandoned that plan. Shame, I'd been really looking forward to one.

Why not :eek: The guy thats usually there makes savage burgers!

Why not :eek: The guy thats usually there makes savage burgers!

I know, which is why I was willing to queue but man was I disappointed. His burgers were amongst the nicest I've had in Cork (granted I've always been a little pished). This burger came with a leaf of lettuce, an easyslice and was pink as hell on the inside as well as being a little charred on the outside. Disappointing to say the least.

As for the beers, Hansel is far nicer than Gretel (which I had to give away.. I just hate the taste of cloves in beer). And I just made my way around different ales. Nothing really stood out too much. Wasn't any very high percentage beers either :[

I know, which is why I was willing to queue but man was I disappointed. His burgers were amongst the nicest I've had in Cork (granted I've always been a little pished). This burger came with a leaf of lettuce, an easyslice and was pink as hell on the inside as well as being a little charred on the outside. Disappointing to say the least.

As for the beers, Hansel is far nicer than Gretel (which I had to give away.. I just hate the taste of cloves in beer). And I just made my way around different ales. Nothing really stood out too much. Wasn't any very high percentage beers either :[

Hmmm, this does not bode well. Off up to the well in a few minutes now, not sure if I'm looking forward to it anymore :(

• Advertisement

Hmmm, this does not bode well. Off up to the well in a few minutes now, not sure if I'm looking forward to it anymore :(

Ah, it's still a good day all round, the beerfest is more about getting pissed all day long and stumbling into a conversation with some cute foreign girls anyway. Most of the pale ales I drank were highly drinkable. Just avoid the burgers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

This burger [...] was pink as hell on the inside as well as being a little charred on the outside.

Do you think this was deliberate? As in stuff like this? Haven't had a decent burger since I was last in America. I know medium rare would turn a lot of people off, but man, it hits the spot for me. If it's not deliberate though then... yeah, not so much.

Was the Whitewater brewery there? I'm debating whether to go or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Man i so wanna go over there now :(
    A nice pint of gypsy lager would go down a treat.

FTGFOP wrote: »
    Do you think this was deliberate? As in stuff like this? Haven't had a decent burger since I was last in America. I know medium rare would turn a lot of people off, but man, it hits the spot for me. If it's not deliberate though then... yeah, not so much.

Was the Whitewater brewery there? I'm debating whether to go or not.

Man, I like my steak rare as f*ck but for low grade burger meat served in the manner that it was, it's not really what you want. I was pulling pieces of gristle out... I don't want to slate the place because I don't think I'll get ill off the stuff and perhaps, mine and my buddy's were exceptions but... bring back the old guy.. His burgers were the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

Gristle, eh? Yeah, not into that.

Does the beerfest finish tonight or Monday?

The white gypsy beers were savage as were the litres of warsteiner, avoided the burgers though. Few of the buddies got them and they looked rotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Actually the burgers were good and the guy serving made sure each one was cooked through before serving. The hotdogs were good too.

Whitewater did not make it for some reason though.

White Gypsey's Oak aged stout was fabulous.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭The Minstrel

Do they do burgers in this joint every saturday afternoon?

Don't think so. Think it's just at the beerfests. Hopefully the usual burger guy will be back in october.

• Advertisement

They'll start doing them regularly in the summer. Every evening, possibly. Any time I've been there from, say, June - September, they've had them.

Advertisement