Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I hope I'm wrong but

Options
  • 02-04-2010 12:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

I hope I'm wrong but I predict that the pubs will open as planned at six. The scallies will cause mayhem on the streets afterwards with the press waiting for it to happen. It'll be all over the media in the morning and the chances of ever getting a bar exemption again are f**ked! And of course the guards will be delighted 'cos they can say 'we told ye so!'.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

apparently every train is sold out heading into the city. i also remember hearing that people are coming in their bus loads from as far away as donegal! just for a secession! town is going to be bedlem later!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Finscout

Think you're right it'll kick off later, and they're expecting it! As for people coming from Donegal. Could they not just go across the border??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

*sigh*

this is getting a bit old....limerick drink drugs bad image gang wars.....yawn!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

I can't believe people would go to the trouble of travelling to Limerick just for a pint. The pubs are virtually empty in Limerick during week nights so people obviously can live without drink for a day. In any event people normally get a few drinks in off-licences the day before and presumably party at home.

If Limerick is besieged by people who can't survive a day without going to the pub then we as a people deserve to be f**kd, economically and socially.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

A bunch of my girlfriend's friends invited themselves to her place for the night. There is no way I'm going out, too much hassle.

There will be queuing for the pubs, drink, toliets, chipper, and taxis home. Might pop down to my local Russell's to see the match itself but after that, it will be cans and my Xbox for the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

I can't believe people would go to the trouble of travelling to Limerick just for a pint.

Thats the problem; They're hardly going to stop at one pint.

They're going to hammer back twelve pints and then head out on the Streets at exactly 11.30pm with no staggered closing times.

- Cue tens of thousands of drunken Zombies milling around Supermacs and Abra-Kebabra trading punches and broken-bottle swipes with our Native Nike Athletes.

If past form is anything to go by then the battles on our Streets will pass off without any Garda presence whatsover....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

A bunch of my girlfriend's friends invited themselves to her place for the night. There is no way I'm going out, too much hassle.

There will be queuing for the pubs, drink, toliets, chipper, and taxis home. Might pop down to my local Russell's to see the match itself but after that, it will be cans and my Xbox for the night.

so what your saying is there is a party in yours with a load of chicks :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

so what your saying is there is a party in yours with a load of chicks :cool:

:D You supply the drink!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

This thread reeks of negativity. Look there's a huge novelty factor attached to the pubs being open in Limerick today. If people want to come down and spend there euros then let them have at it. The local economy is depressed and town is falling apart from the centre out. It needs all the money it can get.
    I'm sure that the Guards will have planned for any eventuality in any case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I'm avoiding it, too.....

Like the OP, I can see lots of idiots unable to hold their drink staggering around our city, scrapping between themselves and the local scumbags, with the ensuing headlines tomorrow about either "Limerick's Mindless Drunken Violence " or "We told you so re Good Friday", with no factoring in of all the blow-ins for the day, or the fact that they're the type that can't do without a pub for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

It's going to be messy because of the sheer numbers of people that will be around. You have an awful lot of people who will be on holidays and add that to the large crowd for the match there will be problems. It just shows the idiocy of only opening the pubs in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭dave 27

haha you can totally picture this in reeling in the years in a few decades time....

"rugby fever hits Limerick as publicans opens it doors to pundits..an estimated 50,000 people flocked to the city from across the country to sample the holy ale!..which saw many arrests and urinated front gardens" :D:D

its just like the old days again lads! enjoy it!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm glad to be avoiding the town this evening. Its going to be messy and would not fancy being a Garda on the beat having to deal with the extra volume of drunken fools on the streets later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Raiser wrote: »
    Thats the problem; They're hardly going to stop at one pint.

They're going to hammer back twelve pints and then head out on the Streets at exactly 11.30pm with no staggered closing times.

- Cue tens of thousands of drunken Zombies milling around Supermacs and Abra-Kebabra trading punches and broken-bottle swipes with our Native Nike Athletes.

If past form is anything to go by then the battles on our Streets will pass off without any Garda presence whatsover....

Zombies you say?

The Zombie forum may get some headshot practise in then. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

Aidric wrote: »
    I'm sure that the Guards will have planned for any eventuality in any case.

You'd think they would alright. Which is probably why people are constantly surprised (or at this stage, not very surprised at all) by the things the Guards don't do.

Could hardly believe my eyes yesterday when walking down O'Connell St when I saw some poor lady lying on the side of the road by AIB. I don't really like when people stop and stare at these events, unless they can help so I hurried on but I did look over briefly and it seemed like the poor woman was unconscious given that there was no movement from her at all despite the cars flying up the street towards her head.

Anyway my point is that there were two guards crouched down beside her. One was simply staring at her and the other was patting her head, while cars were speeding towards the three of them and having to swerve dangerously to avoid hitting them. Seeing as neither of them was providing medical attention surely one of them should have had the cop on to get up and direct the traffic away from the poor woman at such a busy junction?

Not just to avoid further injury to the lady on the ground but also to themselves and to the poor drivers coming up the street who were forced to swerve at the last minute in order to avoid hitting all three of them.

Sorry if that's veering a bit off-topic but I guess if the Gardai show such little common sense and awareness in a standard situation like that then I wouldn't hold much hope for an unprecedented situation like tonight. Sorry to be negative, I hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭leedsfan88

Town will be a death trap, there won't be enough guards on. Also, on an normal night the A&E can't handle the crowds, so lets hope nobody is left to die on a trolley or the street...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

I think some people are kind of hoping there'll be trouble so they can say "I told you so" :mad:

445279.ie wrote: »
    I think are kind of hoping there'll be trouble so they can say "I told you so" :mad:

No i really hope everything goes well, i won't be saying "i told you", i've supported the openings it will be great for limerick financially and hopefully for the cities image, but my fears are genuine and supported by a few guards i know and from my visits to A&E in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Remember, we have God on our side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

You'd think they would alright. Which is probably why people are constantly surprised (or at this stage, not very surprised at all) by the things the Guards don't do.

Could hardly believe my eyes yesterday when walking down O'Connell St when I saw some poor lady lying on the side of the road by AIB. I don't really like when people stop and stare at these events, unless they can help so I hurried on but I did look over briefly and it seemed like the poor woman was unconscious given that there was no movement from her at all despite the cars flying up the street towards her head.

Anyway my point is that there were two guards crouched down beside her. One was simply staring at her and the other was patting her head, while cars were speeding towards the three of them and having to swerve dangerously to avoid hitting them. Seeing as neither of them was providing medical attention surely one of them should have had the cop on to get up and direct the traffic away from the poor woman at such a busy junction?

Not just to avoid further injury to the lady on the ground but also to themselves and to the poor drivers coming up the street who were forced to swerve at the last minute in order to avoid hitting all three of them.

Sorry if that's veering a bit off-topic but I guess if the Gardai show such little common sense and awareness in a standard situation like that then I wouldn't hold much hope for an unprecedented situation like tonight. Sorry to be negative, I hope I'm wrong.

Yep, it sure was, infact, I can't see any relationship with your post to what the op was talking about. The gaurds are well aware of the possibilities of trouble tonight and will be out in force. If there is trouble tonight, it certainly won't be the gaurds fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Well have any of ye braved to stick your head out from behind the couch to see if anarchy has taken hold on the streets?

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Well have any of ye braved to stick your head out from behind the couch to see if anarchy has taken hold on the streets?

not living in the city centre...thank f**k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

oh my god its crazy out there. cars over turned. looting everywhere. consentual rape in every street corner. its crazy:D

seems quiet just walked through town and seems like people are leaving and feckin off

worriers:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

leedsfan88 wrote: »
    not living in the city centre...thank f**k

Well if you were to listen to people on here you should be able to see the flames from anywhere within 40 miles of Limerick.

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Well if you were to listen to people on here you should be able to see the flames from anywhere within 40 miles of Limerick.

ha ha yeah i know, but I've heard there has been no trouble which is a little surprising was never expecting riots just a few more fights than normal

why would there be fights? this is after a RUGBY match. never happens. yes you have people coming here with no rugby interests but at the very worst they would be drinking from 6 until 11............... very very most. thats if you can even get served in the busy bars

aren't the clubs opening at 12, but there are always fights on a Saturday, normally Saturday because its the busiest night of the week, i just thought that people who've been drinking all day at home, and then in town could cause a little trouble. Just from being out in the past, being from limerick and all

leedsfan88 wrote: »
    aren't the clubs opening at 12, but there are always fights on a Saturday, normally Saturday because its the busiest night of the week, i just thought that people who've been drinking all day at home, and then in town could cause a little trouble. Just from being out in the past, being from limerick and all

no. no clubs are open at 12. everywhere is finished and shut at half 11. everyone must leave to pubs at half 11. strict orders. clubs cant open as the good friday license means alcohal cant be sold until the saturday morning after good friday. 12 midnight doesnt count.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

CoDy1 wrote: »
    Yep, it sure was, infact, I can't see any relationship with your post to what the op was talking about. The gaurds are well aware of the possibilities of trouble tonight and will be out in force. If there is trouble tonight, it certainly won't be the gaurds fault.

Oh hardly, sure could never be the Guards fault!! And seeing that spelling clearly isn't your strong point, I guess I need to spell out my post to you too:
    (Lots of people off work+pubs only open in Limerick)x15,000 Rugby fans=Drunkenness+Potential trouble on streets=Inadequate Garda response:My post!

Get it now?

Advertisement