Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I hope I'm wrong but

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Icky Thump

Oh hardly, sure could never be the Guards fault!! And seeing that spelling clearly isn't your strong point, I guess I need to spell out my post to you too:
    (Lots of people off work+pubs only open in Limerick)x15,000 Rugby fans=Drunkenness+Potential trouble on streets=Inadequate Garda response:My post!

Get it now?

well thats an idiotic post

rugby fans..................................

how many games have you been to??? obviously none.

when TP sells out it means 26k people and how many fights happen??????????

none

since you need something obviously spelt out

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Oh hardly, sure could never be the Guards fault!! And seeing that spelling clearly isn't your strong point, I guess I need to spell out my post to you too:
    (Lots of people off work+pubs only open in Limerick)x15,000 Rugby fans=Drunkenness+Potential trouble on streets=Inadequate Garda response:My post!

Get it now?

Miaow! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

Icky Thump wrote: »
    well thats an idiotic post

rugby fans..................................

how many games have you been to??? obviously none.

when TP sells out it means 26k people and how many fights happen??????????

none

since you need something obviously spelt out

Jesus Christ, ya know what you're like vultures in here waiting to pounce on people and tear their posts apart! FFS, I said rugby fans so bloody what? If it had have been a concert, I'd have said concert-goers. You know full well I was just illustrating the vast number of people that would be spilling on to the street today in an unprecedented situation. Stop looking to take offence where there was none ffs.

Jesus Christ, ya know what you're like vultures in here waiting to pounce on people and tear their posts apart! FFS, I said rugby fans so bloody what? If it had have been a concert, I'd have said concert-goers. You know full well I was just illustrating the vast number of people that would be spilling on to the street today in an unprecedented situation. Stop looking to take offence where there was none ffs.

relax girl relax. lets not get emotional here. its just farsical to say that there will be trouble just because there is a large group of people together.

what if it was a bible convention. would you assume that a fight will break out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

relax girl relax. lets not get emotional here. its just farsical to say that there will be trouble just because there is a large group of people together.

what if it was a bible convention. would you assume that a fight will break out?
    Limerick is the only place in Ireland where pubs are open tonight.
    This means that lots of people who aren't interested in rugby will flock to Limerick to go on the piss.
    I would be surprised if the people who actually attended the match were able to even get in anywhere when it finished.
    An unusually high concentration of drunk people from all over the place is what to expect.
    So it seems reasonable to expect significant trouble.
    The "rugby fans are decent and wholesome" indignation you are showing is a non-sequitor.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

pwd wrote: »
    Limerick is the only place in Ireland where pubs are open tonight.
    This means that lots of people who aren't interested in rugby will flock to Limerick to go on the piss.
    I would be surprised if the people who actually attended the match were able to even get in anywhere when it finished.
    An unusually high concentration of drunk people from all over the place is what to expect.
    So it seems reasonable to expect significant trouble.
    The "rugby fans are decent and wholesome" indignation you are showing is a non-sequitor.

The pubs stopped serving at 11 . . .

As far as I am aware nothing out of the ordinary occurred tonight, quieter out there now then on a typical Friday night one might say.

i think alot of people where just expecting trouble on the basis that pubs where opened. town was busy this evening but once closing time hit(11pm) everything was finished up and noone was to be seen after half 11-12

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I didn't see any "I told you so" stories in the media this morning although I was expecting quite a few.

Its still early I guess. :rolleyes:

I was at the Match and afterwards the crowd was moving much quicker than usual and I was nearly trampled by some people trying to get into the UL Bohemians bar under the West Stand.

I went home around 10:45 and Newport was like a Ghost town. It was strange to see considering as we drove through Limerick, for a look, it was jammed. I guess all of Newport's Friday drinkers were in Limerick. Even the chipper didn't bother opening last night. Probably thought "what's the point? No drunks around to eat my horrible food"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Sooooooooo,how was the match :p

what match. who was playing:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Lots of people off work+pubs only open in Limerick)x15,000 SOCCER fans=Drunkenness+Potential trouble on streets=Inadequate Garda response:My post! et it now?

I've edited this response to more accurately reflect the apprehensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

what match. who was playing:p

I feel it was a very good match with some of the usual terrible decisions being made by the blind referee and the equally blind linesman and the West side of the pitch mainly in the first half.

The atmosphere was electric though and the place was fairly jammed. Leinster tried to sing every so often from their perch on the Northern end of the West Stand but were quickly drowned out by Munster chanting.

There were people already parking their cars on the grass down at Longpavement at 5:30 when I passed.

The bars were jammed in the stadium and there were a lot of people making noise during the kicking in the stadium most likely on account of the alcohol taken. Seriously, it must be hard to keep 35,000 people quiet especially if drink has been taken.

Not the best result but I was glad to have been at the match. It was a completely different atmosphere to the Glasgow match the week previously.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

26k Berty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Berty wrote: »
    I went home around 10:45 and Newport was like a Ghost town. It was strange to see considering as we drove through Limerick, for a look, it was jammed. I guess all of Newport's Friday drinkers were in Limerick. Even the chipper didn't bother opening last night. Probably thought "what's the point? No drunks around to eat my horrible food"

Was thinking the same myself last night . . . went for a walk down the town and there was not a soul in sight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Was thinking the same myself last night . . . went for a walk down the town and there was not a soul in sight!

A town without a chipper is a plaice with no sole.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

I live in the city center.
    I wasn't out last night, cause I had work this morning, and coudn't be bothered anyway.
    I did end up having to walk through town a few times, walking a friend home.
    And was around a few times earlier also.
    Town was packed early on, but everyone was in great form.
    Party athmosphere is the best way I can describe it.
    By 12:00-12:30 town was dead.

No trouble.
    No problems.
    No riots.
    No brawls.
    No fires.
    No apocolyptic events.
    No crucifictions of Christ

• Registered Users Posts: 9,978 ✭✭✭445279.ie

I hope I'm wrong but I predict that the pubs will open as planned at six. The scallies will cause mayhem on the streets afterwards with the press waiting for it to happen. It'll be all over the media in the morning and the chances of ever getting a bar exemption again are f**ked! And of course the guards will be delighted 'cos they can say 'we told ye so!'.
    I live in the city center.
    I wasn't out last night, cause I had work this morning, and coudn't be bothered anyway.
    I did end up having to walk through town a few times, walking a friend home.
    And was around a few times earlier also.
    Town was packed early on, but everyone was in great form.
    Party athmosphere is the best way I can describe it.
    By 12:00-12:30 town was dead.

No trouble.
    No problems.
    No riots.
    No brawls.
    No fires.
    No apocolyptic events.
    No crucifictions of Christ

See you were wrong. If everyone wasn't as quick to judge Limerick it'd be a better place ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭allimac

Big garda presence in Limerick last night,heard that recruits were drafted in from Templemore for the night.Besides rugby fans I don't think there many other day trippers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

allimac wrote: »
    heard that recruits were drafted in from Templemore for the night.

You heard wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭allimac

Definitely more foot patrols around the city centre,they seemed more concerned with enforcing closing time than anything else imo and those that I saw seemed very young.

• Advertisement

well i was walking around at closing time as thats when i was leaving:D and i seen not one garda. im not saying they wherent around im just saying they wherent trying to make a point or anything.

just get over the fact that there was a good crowd in limerick and despite the result it was a very good day for limerick. financially and event wise

i expect the exact same to happen next year (a game been played on good friday). it was one of the highest attendances and draws for a magniers league game. for the club i dont see why they wouldnt want to do it again. not as an excuse to open pubs

allimac wrote: »
    Definitely more foot patrols around the city centre,they seemed more concerned with enforcing closing time than anything else imo and those that I saw seemed very young.

they are all looking young these days:D your just getting old my friend:P

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭houndsoflove

Hi Miss Honey Bun

I too saw the woman lying beside the AIB, i went up to O' Connell avenue walked back down 20 mins later.

No sign of an ambulance.

However there was a paramedic there checking her blood pressure and monitoring her heart.

They had moved her off the road but there was still no response out of her. She was very pale too.

Sorry for going off the thread title.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tommy249

So the first two pages of this Thread is why the Limerick page of boards pi**es me off so much!! A big event in Limerick, a time when we will have thousands of people visiting our city, many for the first time and instead of being happy at the fact that there was going to be a great atmosphere in Limerick with a huge amount of positive publicity for a change, we as Limerick people start predicting the end of the world. We start going on about all the trouble thats gonna happen etc etc. Why are we so down on ourselves?? By all accounts it was a great night in Limerick. I watced the game in the Locke at there was a good old atmosphere around town with good banter with the Leinster fans.

Something that I have been thinking about, remember last summer the Volvo Ocean race was in Galway?? Over one hundered thousand people visited Galway and the pubs were packed every night. Thousands of people were out drinking on Quay street having the craic. You can be sure that no Galway people were on the Galway page of boards before and during the Ocean race predicting chaos, riots, murder etc! But when something positive occurs in Limerick, we as Limerick people are the first to predict maham.....why???

For the record, there were three public order arrests in Liemrick last night which was lower than an average Friday night!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I heard a report of a Garda raid on a pub after hours. Other than that it was prety quiet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I had one of the best days out in Limerick on Friday then I've had in a long time. Limerick felt like a real city again. There was buskers and crowds walking up cruises street all day on Saturday,something I haven't seen in about 10 years. At 6 I went down to Souths to watch the match and there was such a brilliant atmosphere. I wish we could have Good Friday every Friday!

I heard a report of a Garda raid on a pub after hours. Other than that it was prety quiet.

well im suprised of there was only 1 raid on a pub

well im suprised of there was only 1 raid on a pub

There may have been more than 1. I also heard a Garda Sargeant was "found on".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Can't believe a thread was started predicting trouble in Limerick at a rugby match!
    Anyone with any sense knows that rugby supporters generally do not start any trouble after a match! Delighted to hear that there was no problems on Friday night....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Can't believe a thread was started predicting trouble in Limerick at a rugby match!
    Anyone with any sense knows that rugby supporters generally do not start any trouble after a match! Delighted to hear that there was no problems on Friday night....

Unfortunately it didn't stop one of the Sunday rags going with a page spread on the drink fuelled violence of Friday night, despite the fact there was none.

Advertisement