Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet Entertainment (Broadband)

Options
2»

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

zoom41 wrote: »
    Well i can assure you Rory you did not tell me there was any problem in fact you were adamant that your speeds would easily beat eircoms when it is quite the contary i got what i paid for from eircom 7mb and got just a fraction under it.

As i have said in previous post if you cannot meet your end of the bargain then i certainly will not meet mine.

Looking at your account it seems you are capable of much faster speeds than those posted. Let me get someone to contact you on this.

I will use the details in your PM>

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

almanu wrote: »
    this guy is paying hard cold cash for 24mb ,you guys are giving him 1.5 mb, seriously , hi loop times well why didnt you guys tell him this when he was signing a contract with magnets , ridiculous crazy and down right underhanded.money first customers 2nd .cant see magnet lasting long, considering the whole sales pitch for your very hi prices is that the service is and i quote " THE BEST IN IRELAND" load of shte.
    op id try UPC/ntl there customer service is a joke but not much worse than magnets going by what you saying,

Its the same the world over mate, I was paying for a "upto" 24mb line in Holland and only got 8mb.

Your using copper wire to connect to Magnet, its really not their fault if the copper, not owned or operated by them isn't up to it.

Also your own equipment at home may have a bearing on it (Sky Box, Other phones, lack of a DSL Splitter, dodgy extension cable)

Only thing you could give out about is Cable, but with ANY provider that supplys a connection via Phone line its really not their fault.

Call Eircom and give out to them about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭Dues Bellator

Its the same the world over mate, I was paying for a "upto" 24mb line in Holland and only got 8mb.
    Your using copper wire to connect to Magnet, its really not their fault if the copper, not owned or operated by them isn't up to it.

Also your own equipment at home may have a bearing on it (Sky Box, Other phones, lack of a DSL Splitter, dodgy extension cable)

Only thing you could give out about is Cable, but with ANY provider that supplys a connection via Phone line its really not their fault.

Call Eircom and give out to them about it.

with all due respect thats a load of bull, what your saying is magnet are using eircoms antique line, then charging customers over twice the original eircom price for an even worse connection.then you go say ring eircom?

this is highway robbery of the highest order.

as far as im aware there is no decent bband provider in ireland that offer value for money , but there seems to be many that are just intrested in tying you down with contracts and stuffing you with false advertising in regards to there speeds.

with all due respect thats a load of bull, what your saying is magnet are using eircoms antique line, then charging customers over twice the original eircom price for an even worse connection.then you go say ring eircom?

this is highway robbery of the highest order.

as far as im aware there is no decent bband provider in ireland that offer value for money , but there seems to be many that are just intrested in tying you down with contracts and stuffing you with false advertising in regards to there speeds.

No its not a load of bull, if you did any research you would know the process was called Local Loop Unbundling:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local-loop_unbundling

The phone line from the exchange to your house is owned by Eircom, this is not just an Irish thing. Its the same setup in almost every other country.

Magnet are providing a service upto 24mb, thats what they can supply at the exchange, the wire from the exchange to your house is supplied and maintained by Eircom. Magnet pay eircom every month as part of your monthly cost to Magnet.

Due to crap legislation, Eircom are ONLY required to provide you with a Dial Tone, if you have bad signal noise etc they are not required to do anything about it.

If you go to ANY DSL provider thats the way it works.

The Dutch version of Eircom is KPN, in Holland and its the exact same situation.

So before you go off on a rant, do a bit of research and don't straight out accuse people of spouting a load of 'bull'

Did you know that the Electrical cable to your house isn't owned by the ESB, its owned by ESB Networks, seperate company to the crowd your paying your money to for Electricity.

You should still troubleshoot the connection, but in alot of cases its down to the crappy wiring to your house, or sometimes the crappy wiring in your house.

Would you expect a shop that supplied a toaster to come and rewire a wall socket because it was faulty and the toaster wouldnt work as a result ?

No its not a load of bull, if you did any research you would know the process was called Local Loop Unbundling:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local-loop_unbundling

The phone line from the exchange to your house is owned by Eircom, this is not just an Irish thing. Its the same setup in almost every other country.

Magnet are providing a service upto 24mb, thats what they can supply at the exchange, the wire from the exchange to your house is supplied and maintained by Eircom. Magnet pay eircom every month as part of your monthly cost to Magnet.

Due to crap legislation, Eircom are ONLY required to provide you with a Dial Tone, if you have bad signal noise etc they are not required to do anything about it.

If you go to ANY DSL provider thats the way it works.

The Dutch version of Eircom is KPN, in Holland and its the exact same situation.

So before you go off on a rant, do a bit of research and don't straight out accuse people of spouting a load of 'bull'

Did you know that the Electrical cable to your house isn't owned by the ESB, its owned by ESB Networks, seperate company to the crowd your paying your money to for Electricity.

You should still troubleshoot the connection, but in alot of cases its down to the crappy wiring to your house, or sometimes the crappy wiring in your house.

Would you expect a shop that supplied a toaster to come and rewire a wall socket because it was faulty and the toaster wouldnt work as a result ?

i dont think i was ranting or spouting,i was making a valid point ,ie why dont magnet be honest with there customers and say if your using an existing eircom line were not going to improve your service.rather than promise SUPER FAST bband at over twice the cost.thats really simple dont you think, rather than a layman who dosnt think he has to do "research" to get a decent service.while were making comparisons if you bought a car with a 0-60 time of 3.2 seconds but you can only get 0-60 in 5 seconds ,what will the car company do tell you to ring the council to fix the roads lol.could be hear all day. its not everyone that knows about eircoms cable .ie the suckers who buy into the superfast speeds jargon.

• Advertisement

i dont think i was ranting ,i was making a valid point ,ie why dont magnet be honest with there customers and say if your using an existing eircom line were not going to improve your service.rather than promise SUPER FAST bband.

That can do that because Eircom have contention of 48:1

Magnet has 1:1 I believe.

i.e. even at peak times your broadband stays the same speed no matter how many Magnet users are online whereas with Eircom your competing with 47 other people for bandwidth.

Your line speed in some cases doesn't matter if theres contention on the other end of the pipe. It could say 24mbit, but you might only get 1mbit / sec due to the line being overloaded at the other end.

That can do that because Eircom have contention of 48:1

Magnet has 1:1 I believe.

i.e. even at peak times your broadband stays the same speed no matter how many Magnet users are online whereas with Eircom your competing with 47 other people for bandwidth.

Your line speed in some cases doesn't matter if theres contention on the other end of the pipe. It could say 24mbit, but you might only get 1mbit / sec due to the line being overloaded at the other end.

Smart Telecom Contention Ratio - 1:1

Chorus NTL(UPC) Contention Ratio - 17:1

UTV Broadband Contention Ratio - 48:1

BT Broadband Contention Ratio - 48:1

Perlico Broadband Contention Ratio - 48:1

Eircom Broadband Contention Ratio - 48:1

has anyone ever had a good word to say about smart telecom 1.1

after a bit of research BT broadband is the cheapest , if you get the speeds they advertise is anybodys guess.

• Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

All connectivity types (with the exception of fibre connections) are inhibited somewhat by technical facets or attributes which are inherent in the respective technology (satellite customers frequently complain of high ping times, customers with higher contention services complain of slow speeds at peak times, customers with mobile Internet complain frequently of no service when they move to specific areas within the home, and so on.)

Unfortunately connectivity and networking is a unique product and one which continues to prove difficult to pin down in terms of a homogeneous "value for money" or "high connectivity quality" proposition.

In saying all of this it must be noted that the ADSL2+ product which is being sold by Magnet would be (by all accounts) one of the finest networking packages available in Ireland today (only bettered by Fibre).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

flogging a dead horse springs to mind rory, in these hard time anyway.

Wow go easy on the guy. OK I don't use Magnet myself (thankfully by the sounds of it) but Rory is just a guy employed to help customers if he can. Don't get all smart with him. If you have an issue with the company put it in writing and stop directing your frustration at this guy.

Wow go easy on the guy. OK I don't use Magnet myself (thankfully by the sounds of it) but Rory is just a guy employed to help customers if he can. Don't get all smart with him. If you have an issue with the company put it in writing and stop directing your frustration at this guy.

directing frustration lol, talk about getting my posts out of context, this tread is under rip off ireland, im just stating the fact that magnet is a rip off, is UPC not fiber powered .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

To be fair, my Magnet broadband is quick. It's continuity of service that is worst. And the difficulty in getting it sorted when it goes down.

If you get Magnet triple play, be sure to get an FM radio for when the telly goes down and a 3g mobile for when your phone and internet go down. Especially on Friday afternoons when you know it won't be dealt with until Monday at the earliest.

Advertisement