Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giant Defy 4 or 3.5

• 02-04-2010 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Right, I've been reading through the forum for the past week or so and there's a lot of good info here, good job on the wiki especially.

Basically I'm looking to get a road bike, but I don't have a huge amount of money+ I don't want to rush in spend lots and end up not using it, so I've narrowed it down to the defy 4 or 3.5.

From what I can tell it's the same bike except the 3.5 has a carbon fibre fork (assuming "Advanced Grade Composite" = carbon fiber in giant-speak), so is that worth the 75 euro extra? I've read that a carbon fibre fork will reduce the bumpiness of the ride, but are there other advantages too?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

The carbon fork is probably a fair bit lighter as well as dampening road vibrations. As you say that seems to be the only difference. I'd also look at the entry-level Specialized Allez which start at €615 including a carbon fork. I would generally choose Specialized over Giant at entry-level if the prices were the same (traditionally Giant have been cheaper.)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 de_Selby

Thanks for that, I've to get the bike in cycle superstores because I'm using the cycle to work scheme, they don't seem to have the Specialized stocked so I think I'm left with a choice between the two Giants. The lapierre and cube entry level bikes seem a bit dearer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Are you limited to just that store?

Well, I can use either McDonald Cycles, Duff Cycles or 2wheels Cycles otherwise. I just assumed they were smaller shops and would have a worse selection, but I'll actually have a look to see what they have in stock too.

Seems like a bizarre selection of shops, are you sure it is just those ones?

• Advertisement

Yeah it is a strange list. I'll have a look and see what the others have anyway. From a quick look at their websites it seems to be just the Giants too.

Look into it. If your employer is doing it through a middleman they generally have a wide selection of Irish shops, ususally most of the shops in the country. They could have been partnering specifically with CSS but bizarre that they would have just that selection, seems very miscellaneous.

Advertisement