Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I to old to learn guitar

Options
  • 02-04-2010 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

I am in late 30,s and have just got a guitar, Can you recommend how I should go about learning like to try myself before getting any lessons from someone, best books etc,
    now I have short enough fingers for a man so will this make it harder to paly the guitar,
    Also I would need an electronic tuner any suggestion's, real novice but a good singer thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Hi castle,

Firstly, no your certainly not to old to learn the guitar!

What guitar have you got? An electric or acoustic? Im assuming its an acoustic! If your a good singer then you will be belting out the songs in 4 - 6 months if your willing to put in the effort!

Dont worry about your short fingers, youll be just fine! I have them myself and its no issue for just amateur playing (and probably wouldnt be an issue for pro either).

So you first need to learn how to tune the guitar, just search on google and there are plenty of sites that will show you. Until then just use this > http://www.guitarforbeginners.com/onlinetuner.html

Now still assuming you have an acoustic, you have to start learning a few chords. You wont need to buy any book whatsoever, the internet is more than enough to teach yourself. Once you learn a few chords start playing them and practicing switching between the different chords.

Then type in your favourite song into google eg, "hotel california chords" and you can see the chords that are needed to play the song. So its simply a matter of learning those chords and you will be able to replicate that song!

If you get that far you will be doing very well and at that stage things will be more clear to you and you can delve into the wonderful world of guitar playing much more!

Until then my advice would be to learn your favourite songs because inspiration at your stage is key if you want to continue to pick up the guitar, you cant make learning it boring!

So right now, get that guitar in tune and the go learn how to play a G, C and D chord. this will help: http://guitar.about.com/library/weekly/aa071200e.htm (also look at the other lessons on this site)

Good luck and stick with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

Absolutely not too old. When I read the thread title I was expecting you to be 80 or something!!! 30 is nothing man.

Get stuck right in. You will have your up and down moments but stick with it. It is one of the best things you will ever do:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Remember it will take time for you to develop the strength in your fingers, don't feel downhearted if at first you can't make some chord shapes, it'll happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

You are never too old to learn. All you need are patience and a love for it. Though you said you did not want to take lessons yet, IMO it is a good idea. A few lessons at the start from a good teacher can give you a good foundation to build on if you decide to learn on your own later.

Good luck with it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭bladespin

I hope not, I started learning this year (I'm 35) :P

Lots of helpful video tutorials on youtube too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I learned myself mainly from being around friends who played so I picked up a lot. However if you're not in this position I would recommend classes. Reading chords online is great but for the initial foundation it would be good to have others around you that you can absorb info off.

My bro in law started well into his 30's by doing a class in the local school and after a few weeks he was able to get the chords online and learn any basic song but the class encouraged him to progress with bar chords. Fills etc...

Best of luck. Nothing like a little jam to relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I got a guitar when I was 40 so its never too old.

Theres loads of online resources for learning, youtube etc. I`ve never had any lessons but can play a few tunes and enjoy nothing more than cranking it up on a Sunday afternoon when the neighbours are out, for 3 or 4 hours.

If you like music and have a feel for it,timing etc, once you get the hang of three or four chords, it will prove to be easier than you think. Well at least to a point:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Late 30s is definitely not too late, a lot of guys take up guitar as a hobby when they retire and many of them do very well.

Having said that, at your age you presumably have some spare cash to put to use, and limited time to learn/practice, so lessons would be advisable. There is lots of great stuff online and on youtube, and I'm sure you would do fine without lessons, but having a teacher will make things happen that bit quicker.

Don't worry about small hands at all, not a problem. Have you ever seen Bill Wyman's hands? I know he's primarily a bassist, but he can play guitar just fine and his hands are freakishly small - like a child's. :eek:

bill-wyman2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

Youre never too old to learn guitar. Best of luck and take all the advice and encouragement you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 franamico

Hey, I hope you found some good guitar teacher.

I were you I would start with some of those amazing online guitar lessons that you can find on the internet.

Guitar lessons are incredibly expensive, no matter where you go...

Anyway, in regard to the tuner...

For less than 30 euro, you can buy a tuner and a metronome in the same device. Shop around...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Jemmaa

franamico wrote: »
    Hey, I hope you found some good guitar teacher.

I were you I would start with some of those amazing online guitar lessons that you can find on the internet.

Guitar lessons are incredibly expensive, no matter where you go...

Anyway, in regard to the tuner...

For less than 30 euro, you can buy a tuner and a metronome in the same device. Shop around...

You can use free online metronome here http://www.metronomeonline.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Jemmaa

Free guitar tuner here http://www.hotfrets.com/tuner.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭mountaintop

I'm 48 and took up guitar just over four years ago. I love it. Wish I had taken it up years ago. What I'd love to find is a guitar buddy. I've been told it's a great way of progressing. I'm in Co Mayo. Anyone at my level of playing like to meet up occasionally? I think it would be great way of encouraging and learning from the other. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

I'm 48 and took up guitar just over four years ago. I love it. Wish I had taken it up years ago. What I'd love to find is a guitar buddy. I've been told it's a great way of progressing. I'm in Co Mayo. Anyone at my level of playing like to meet up occasionally? I think it would be great way of encouraging and learning from the other. Thanks

MT, why don't you go to your local pub and organise a monthly/weekly/fortnightly/ meet up for guitarists to have a few beers and share a few tunes.
    I know in a town near my home place this is a roaring success. No guitar snobs welcome at it, If your awesome all the better but no sneering at the lads who are entry level. I've never gone myself but from all accounts it is a class night.

I am trying to get something like this sorted in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭mountaintop

Thanks for that. Good idea. Will look into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Guitareaxe

Never too old , I have a friend who began plaing when he was 35 also and hes one of the finest guitarists I have ever played with. hes playing professionally also.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,408 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

dont think your too old i started lessons this year (mid 40's) (xmas pressie) bought the guitar 4 years ago with every intention of teaching myself, find lessons makes you practice what your doing more, and i think ive come on leaps and bounds in 4 months, form knwoing a few chords to playing songs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 richardbezos

Guitareaxe wrote: »
    Never too old , I have a friend who began plaing when he was 35 also and hes one of the finest guitarists I have ever played with. hes playing professionally also.

I agree with you where there is a will there is a way.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

I agree with you where there is a will there is a way.:)

I dont think there is any functional difference between a younger and older learner - as in you dont absorb or retain information any differently. I think we forget how much free time we had when we were in our teens :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Marcusclark49

C'mon man, you can be a good guitar player even at this age and if you would be having zeal to learn you can learn faster than a young guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭footing

MT, why don't you go to your local pub and organise a monthly/weekly/fortnightly/ meet up for guitarists to have a few beers and share a few tunes.
    I know in a town near my home place this is a roaring success. No guitar snobs welcome at it, If your awesome all the better but no sneering at the lads who are entry level. I've never gone myself but from all accounts it is a class night.

I am trying to get something like this sorted in Dublin.

Where??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

footing wrote: »
    Where??

What? Where that one is or where I am thinking of starting one in Dublin.

I am currently between locations in dublin at the moment but as soon as I get it nailed down I'll post it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭morrissey1307

My dad always said playing guitar is like making a cup of tea....if nobody shows you then you'll never know how to do it which is true ! But again i have seen people who have taught themselves but usually if they come to a tricky chord or song they just give up because nobody encouraged them enough to play....so best advice is to get a few lessons or meet up with some friends or musicians and take it from there !

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭footing

My dad always said playing guitar is like making a cup of tea....if nobody shows you then you'll never know how to do it which is true ! But again i have seen people who have taught themselves but usually if they come to a tricky chord or song they just give up because nobody encouraged them enough to play....so best advice is to get a few lessons or meet up with some friends or musicians and take it from there !
    Agree; won't reveal my age, but it's over 40 years since I first picked up a guitar, sticking to the cowboy chords, capos, and a bit of finger picking. Only the other night, messing with the CAGED system up and down the guitar neck, the logic of it suddenly fell into place. Was thrilled - but hope it doesn't take y'all that long!!

Advertisement