Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tall seedlings

Options
  • 02-04-2010 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

I'm very much a beginner when it comes to sowing flowers from seeds. I've made an attempt at it this year. About 3 weeks ago I set some pansy and marigold seeds indoors in some seed trays. The first two leaves appeared about 7 days after I sowed them. Since then the stems have got really tall and some are falling over. There is no sign of the true leaves appearing.
    I've moved them to a south facing window in the last few days as I thought they might not have been getting enough light.
    Should I transplant them to a pot or tray yet? Do you think they will still flower?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭looksee

They grew too tall because they did not have enough light and were probably too warm. Pansies and marigolds are both pretty hardy and would not need a lot of heat.

If they are collapsing and have still only got the seed leaves you might be as well off to re-sow them. You could leave them a bit and see what happens but if the bare stems are more than say three quarters of an inch you will not do much with them. When you are transplanting seedlings you should always hold them by the leaves, not the stem, especially if it is over-grown.

Advertisement