Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you do

Options
  • 02-04-2010 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭

Doing a spec for a refurb on an existing house. The thing is the BER was done by estate agent who sold the house. Would you report it or have other people come across this let well enough alone.

What would you do 15 votes

0% 0 votes
    Not report
    100% 15 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Its a clear breach. Get SEIA to investigate; it's their job. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 mary b

I came across something similar and reported it to SEAI. I was at a meeting recently where SEAI pleaded with us to inform them of any breach in the legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

holdfast wrote: »
    Doing a spec for a refurb on an existing house. The thing is the BER was done by estate agent who sold the house. Would you report it or have other people come across this let well enough alone.

And did it have a really good rating!!! Report it please!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭BERmad

Yous are all very quick to hang the estate agent out to dry. I would let it be if he is audited he will be found out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 north.

Report it to SEAI

• Advertisement

BERmad wrote: »
    Yous are all very quick to hang the estate agent out to dry. I would let it be if he is audited he will be found out.

He may or he may not, thats not the point, he is in clear breach of the code of conduct. I have published a fair few BER's and have only been audited once and then that was on a random data issue. I wouldn't have been found out if I was an estate agent doing a property on my own books with that type of audit!!!

perhaps some kind mod would do a litle poll on this issue on this thread!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

No 6 - anyone can add a poll - be my guest if you wish .

The integrity of the BER system depends on assessors having no financial interest in the ratings they issue . Clearly an Estate agent earning a % of the sale price can be seen to have an incentive to earn more if the property he is selling has a better BER Rating .

Whether anyone cares to debate this or not- the law is clear on this.

If you are involved in construction in any respect it is in your own interest to see standards - all standards - maintained .

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I think that will get the message across

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Report it.

The attitude of "don't hang him out to dry, he'll be found out eventually" is a seriously unhealthy way to view any business dealing. This person is there to do a job, he/she is not donig it correctly and is clearly flouting the rules for personal gain.

That's the attitude that has this country where it is right now, on its knees. The sooner there are examples made of some of these people the better, imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭holdfast

well it seems to be happen in a lot of places. I was talking to a guy I did the course with and he rang SEAI and they wanted him to write in stating the incident.He said they were not interested and did not want to touch this area, not to upset every estate agent/county councilor. I have not reported it as the need to write in and give the incident would be a clear indicator of who reported it. Morale courage is lacking by me. Will have a good think about this week.

No fence sitters or estate agents here then!!:D, 9-0 thats a clear enough result!!!

Advertisement