Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AFFORDABLE HOUSING SWORDS??

Options
  • 02-04-2010 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi there,

my husband and i have been offered a 3 bed house in oldtown swords

has any body heard of this area?

any thing gud or bad much appreciated??

thank you

Comments

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Moved to Dublin County North.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭PCros

Hi there,

thank you

Oldtown is not in Swords. Its about 5 miles outside the Swords area past Ballyboughal.

Whats the name of the estate?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 The new mrs D

its called clonmethan, oldtown, co.dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

It depends on what you want/need to have in your immediate area. Oldtown is nice. It's a small town though so you'll need a car or have to rely on the bus service (Bus Eireann) to go for a big shop in a supermarket in Swords or Ashbourne. I don't think it has very many amenities besides the G.A.A Club and the local pub (which is said to be a nice).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

its called clonmethan, oldtown, co.dublin?

One of the lads at work has moved in there and he likes it. He has 3 small kids and they can go walking without any fear.

Good community but you will need a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Alan Farrell

Hi there,

thank you

Lucky you.

If you don't have a car, public transport could be an issue for you, its a very nice place.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

What do you mean by "offered" a house?????

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

The OP may have been offered the house by the local authority as part of the affordable housing scheme.

Ok, didn't know how it worked. They offer a house and the purchaser has the choice to accept or decline??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

back in the day i applied for affordable housing up in dublin city.

basically its like a lottery. you get a list of properties. you apply for the houses you like and are within your earning limits. and if your name is drawn from the hat you have an option to buy it.

its a cheme to allow people to afford houses essentially.

for example ( i am not sure of the percentages ) but lets say you get offered a house worth 100k.

the coucil pay 40k and you pay 60k.

but if you want to sell it within 15 years you have to pay the council back there 40% and then after the 15 years the percentage you pay back to the council decreases until about 25 or thirty years you dont have to pay back anything.

( now the percentages mention or the lenght of times are the general idea. but the process is correct)

Ah right so the council has a stake. Very good thanks for the explanation

i am sure its more complex but that is the gist.

the scheme is designed for families to get on the property ladder really.

i found the terms too restrictive for a young lad lookin for an aprtment.

but as a family intending to have a family home its a perfect scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Martron wrote: »
    back in the day i applied for affordable housing up in dublin city.

basically its like a lottery. you get a list of properties. you apply for the houses you like and are within your earning limits. and if your name is drawn from the hat you have an option to buy it.

its a cheme to allow people to afford houses essentially.

for example ( i am not sure of the percentages ) but lets say you get offered a house worth 100k.

the coucil pay 40k and you pay 60k.

but if you want to sell it within 15 years you have to pay the council back there 40% and then after the 15 years the percentage you pay back to the council decreases until about 25 or thirty years you dont have to pay back anything.

( now the percentages mention or the lenght of times are the general idea. but the process is correct)

That is more an Explanation of the Shared Ownership scheme not the Affordable housing scheme. Under Affordable housing you get the house at below market value but the Council doesnt have a stake in it as such. If you sell it withing a certain number of years the Council gets Clawback to compensate for the fact that you got it at a reduced price originally. At the moment there are a large number of Affordable houses available. I don't know the system in detail.

If anyone needs information contact the Council and get the full information. There is some great value to be had at the moment. http://www.affordablehome.ie/My-Local-Authority/Fingal-County-Council/Fingal-Affordable-Housing-Information-Booklet-May-.aspx
    http://www.fingalcoco.ie/YourLocalCouncil/FAQs/AffordableHousingScheme/

well ^ is what i was trying to explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

If the council have clawback its a "stake". Just them playing with words. Anything to help young couples get on the property ladder is a good thing, oh and not so young couples also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Martron wrote: »
    well ^ is what i was trying to explain.

Yeah sorry I get your point - I read your post a bit too quickly. Anyway the links to the council site were my main intention. People should check the detail with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 roisin88

Myself and partner are also moving to clonmethan green Oldtown... bit scared making the move out to there :confused:but excited too...

So oldtown? its a nice place to live??

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭BollickyBill

:)
    Hi there,

thank you

Dear Mrs D,
    As other posters have said, Oldtown is a very small village which is a couple of miles off the Swords-Ashbourne road. It is a very quiet spot.A decent enough back road will take you to Dublin airport in about 7 miles. Swords is about the same distance.There is no town center as such as the place is too small. There is a small village shop, a nice friendly pub, and a GAA club called the Wild Geese. They cater for young children (if you have any)
    You will need a car for convenience but there is a privately owned bus service that runs a mini-coach service to Swords. Information on this is available at www.nifti.ie.
    If you want the small country village life without being a million miles from everywhere then Oldtown is a good spot. Why don't you try and take a run out there sometime and check it out.
    Best of luck in the future,
    BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭paulbolg

Hey folks,

How are things out in Clonmethan Green now? My wife myself and kids are moving there end of Jan '14 all going well. Has the thing with the heating been sorted?? Are the houses warm? Would love some feedback if you can. Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement