Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Briens Lemon Cake

Options
  • 02-04-2010 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

I want to make a lemon cake for the weekend. I had some in an O'Briens sandwich bar recently and there were small pockets of what I think might be lemon curd throughout the sponge. It was delicious and I am wondering does someone have a recipe similar to this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

I have a lemon curd cake recipe that's similar. There are no pockets of curd within it, but rather a curd layer on top, and the rest is a sponge-like texture.

I've adapted the recipe to match the typical weight of a jar of lemon curd, but if you want a curd recipe for it, I can post it. Tesco sell the jars for €0.85 each. Other than that, all the measurements are by volume.

Lemon Curd Cake

411g lemon curd, at room temperature
    1.5 Tbsp plain flour, sifted
    5 Tbsp milk

2 large egg whites, cold
    pinch of cream of tartar
    4 Tbsp sugar

2 Tbsp melted butter
    4 Tbsp sugar

1. Whisk lemon curd, flour and milk together.
    2. Whisk egg whites to a soft foam. Add cream of tartar. Whisk to soft peaks.
    3. Whisk, gradually adding the sugar, until stiff peaks form.
    4. Carefully fold meringue into lemon curd mixture.
    5. Coat a cake tin with melted butter, then completely coat with sugar.
    6. Pour in batter. Bake in a water-bath @ 160c for 40-50mins, or until firm and just set.
    7. Let cool a little, then carefully invert onto a plate. The cake should be mostly baked as a sponge, with some remainder a curd consistency.

Advertisement