Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to identify a 10sp-specific hub body?

• 02-04-2010 2:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,166 ✭✭✭✭

I just fitted a 10sp Ultegra cassette to a HED Sonic hub body.

I used the spacer, which is not required for 10sp-specific hub bodies.

I assumed it was not a 10sp-specific hub, but I actually have no idea how to identify such a thing. Presumably the splines are different?

The hub looks like this:

cassette_body.jpg

Was I right to use the spacer? It went on OK.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I think the 10 speed only hubs have deeper splines. That doesn't look like one, so you were probably right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Yes, 10 speed-only has deeper splines, deeper than in that picture. Same pattern otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

There are DA only freebubs too aren't there? With deep splines that won't accept sram cassettes? What's the deal with that?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

niceonetom wrote: »
    There are DA only freebubs too aren't there? With deep splines that won't accept sram cassettes? What's the deal with that?

They are the same ones as far as I know.

Yes, that is otherwise known as a "10 speed only" freehub, they will take any Shimano 10 speed cassette.

The other place you see "Dura Ace only" mentioned is where you have the shallower spline design where non-DA cassettes would eat into the freehub. Technically here anything that puts enough of the individual sprockets on a carrier is fine so many SRAM cassettes.

All a bit of a mess really, Campagnolo just moved to a more sensible spline pattern while Shimano seemed hung up on backwards compatibility.

• Advertisement

Shimano have ditched that hub now though haven't they and gone back to the backwards compatible design?

blorg wrote: »
    Yes, that is otherwise known as a "10 speed only" freehub, they will take any Shimano 10 speed cassette.

But only shimano 10 speed, right? Not SRAM?

Did the introduce the deeper slplines and then give up on them? I think the 6600 wheels were "duraace only" but the 6700 aren't... but I don't know.

Tis a mess.

I think the deeper splines were introduced to stop cassettes gouging aluminium freehub bodies. With 7900, the freehub is now titanium.

el tonto wrote: »
    I think the deeper splines were introduced to stop cassettes gouging aluminium freehub bodies. With 7900, the freehub is now titanium.
    That was the reason all right. The 7850 freehubs are also titanium but the problem is now there are a host of wheel makers making aluminium freehubs with the shallow spline pattern which suffer from gouging. DT 240S and Easton R4 are among two that I own myself.

so have they gone back to the shallow splines on the 7900 and 7850, but now they're Ti? Or are they both deep and Ti?

• Advertisement

so have they gone back to the shallow splines on the 7900 and 7850, but now they're Ti? Or are they both deep and Ti?
    Shallow Ti AFAIK. Shallow works fine in steel or Ti but not in aluminium if using a cassette made up of individual sprockets.

Right, that's grand. I'm glad they gave up on the deep splines as it's good to have SRAM there as a cassette option (though they would, no doubt, have followed suit).

Sorry for tangentting* the thread, Lumen.

*if door can be a verb so can tangent.

I'm not so glad myself. It is a fundamentally flawed design, effectively ruling out aluminium freehub bodies- but loads of people still making these and effectively saying "you can't run most normal cassettes on these" to get off the hook.

Advertisement