Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Could these two lads be brothers ? need your help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭arnhem44

Can't help RDF but since the medals came together one can only assume that those two lads are related to each other and if they are I think its a small mercy that those medals are still together and not missing like the other ones belonging to those two soldiers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

arnhem44 wrote: »
    Can't help RDF but since the medals came together one can only assume that those two lads are related to each other and if they are I think its a small mercy that those medals are still together and not missing like the other ones belonging to those two soldiers.

i was thinking along the same lines myself. its good to get medals from brothers , but its a pitty one of them was KIA.

a couple of years ago i bought another trio mounted on a medal bar to an RDF from dublin and the BWM was to an inniskilling fusilier , from dublin ,who was KIA in Gallipoli.

Hi RDF,I took out the free trial to ancestry and had a look for these lads,all I can turn up is there MIC's,have you had any luck finding anything yourself?

arnhem44 wrote: »
    Hi RDF,I took out the free trial to ancestry and had a look for these lads,all I can turn up is there MIC's,have you had any luck finding anything yourself?

nothing more than i put in the op. the more i think about it the more i'm convinced they are brothers. the fact that the 3 medals came from same seller and the census results , i'd say there is more than a good chance that they are family. i might try get their baptism certs from the church on dominic street if i can.

There's nothing to be found on the SDGW either,the same info as the CWGC.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Another possible source to check would be local schools. They may have records of which of their boys signed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Hi, I'm new here, have a keen interest in all Irish regiments.Just to say I was watching these items on ebay and I thought the men were related,most likely brothers. Well done on a nice purchase.
    Regards,
    Kabakuyu

kabakuyu wrote: »
    Hi, I'm new here, have a keen interest in all Irish regiments.Just to say I was watching these items on ebay and I thought the men were related,most likely brothers. Well done on a nice purchase.
    Regards,
    Kabakuyu

welcome , not here that long myself. was happy to get the above medals , only sussed out possible family links after i bought them . i dont have any others that are to brothers but i do have a pair to a 7th leinster, from Cork, KIA September 1916 who had his brother 2nd Leinsters KIA October 1914.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

i bought what i thought was a WW1 trio to Christie Hardy 19456 Royal Dublin Fusiliers but the victory is to Cornellius Hardy 10835 Royal Irish Fusiliers killed in action 14-2-1915 and lived in Lower Dominick Street Dublin QUOTE]

have you had any more conversations with the seller to see if he has the other medals belonging to these 2? Both chaps should have 3 - any chance the seller mixed the 2 sets up or do they only have the 3 you bought?

Had a look on Ancestry for further info but no service records or pension records. Cornelius is mentioned in both Soldiers Died in the Great War and Irelands Memorial Records. No family trees found.

I'm just back from a trip to Ireland and popped into the National Museum at Collins Barracks. There's an RDF/WW1 related event coming up which might be of interest to you in May :

http://www.museum.ie/en/list/calendar-of-events.aspx?eventID=1220

have you had any more conversations with the seller to see if he has the other medals belonging to these 2? Both chaps should have 3 - any chance the seller mixed the 2 sets up or do they only have the 3 you bought?

Had a look on Ancestry for further info but no service records or pension records. Cornelius is mentioned in both Soldiers Died in the Great War and Irelands Memorial Records. No family trees found.

I'm just back from a trip to Ireland and popped into the National Museum at Collins Barracks. There's an RDF/WW1 related event coming up which might be of interest to you in May :

do you know i didn't even think to ask if seller had other medels. thanks for the help and input. i have checked the same sources as you did and didnt find any new info.

thanks for the link. i will try get to the talk.

• Advertisement

thanks for this tip JD. i was able to get to this . they were able to give me some tips which might help me with some of my research. the RDFA had a steady stream of people that they were able to help and they seemed to go away happy.

Advertisement