Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Memup Mediadisk fx 1tb, slow usb connection Help!

• 02-04-2010 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Just got a new multimedia HDD form pixmania. when connect up to my laptop I get the message "Your Device could be faster if connected to high speed USB port" I click on that info and I get a box with a list of options or USB Ports. at the top of this box it says disconnect device and connect to a port marked in bold. I have only 4 ports and I have tried them all, I keep getting the same message. Transferring files from my laptop to the HDD takes ages I have been transferring stuff for the last 24 hours and I not finished yet. can anyone please help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Does your laptop have USB 2.0 support ?
    Search for the specifications online to check.

Or if you used a USB hub from your laptop, then the hub may not support USB 2.0.

You might want to check the BIOS settings just to check that USB 2.0 is enabled too. It should be default, but any setting like "USB legacy support" might downgrade your USB ports to USB 1.1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭daveman16

Does your laptop have USB 2.0 support ?
    Search for the specifications online to check.

Or if you used a USB hub from your laptop, then the hub may not support USB 2.0.

You might want to check the BIOS settings just to check that USB 2.0 is enabled too. It should be default, but any setting like "USB legacy support" might downgrade your USB ports to USB 1.1.

Yes my laptop does have USB Support It worked fine with my last External HDD. I am not using a USB hub I am pluging the usb directly into the slots in my laptop, if thats what you mean. I dont know how ch chek BIOS and I havent a clue what USB legacy support is but i am going to google it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

How large is the hard disk, and is it solely powered by the USB cable or does it have a separate power supply ?

Once external hard disks are over a certain size, eg. 250Gb, they start getting too power hungry to run just on USB.

It could be that your laptop isn't supplying enough power and it's in some form of reduced power saving operation.

How large is the hard disk, and is it solely powered by the USB cable or does it have a separate power supply ?

Once external hard disks are over a certain size, eg. 250Gb, they start getting too power hungry to run just on USB.

It could be that your laptop isn't supplying enough power and it's in some form of reduced power saving operation.

It is 1tb but it has its own power suply and it is pluged in when I am transfering data.

I found the answer. I actually had to add one of those USB Hubs with the extra USB Ports. when connecting through that and not directly to the laptop, it worked fine.

I cant understand why I had to do this but it worked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭trevally

daveman16 wrote: »
    I found the answer. I actually had to add one of those USB Hubs with the extra USB Ports. when connecting through that and not directly to the laptop, it worked fine.

I cant understand why I had to do this but it worked

Hi Daveman

I just got the same unit & I am having the same trouble as you. Would you mind taking me through the steps you did to cure the problem ?
    I am using my desktop pc. Also what file format are you transferring to the HDD, divx ? or just dvd?

Cheers

trevally wrote: »
    Hi Daveman

I just got the same unit & I am having the same trouble as you. Would you mind taking me through the steps you did to cure the problem ?
    I am using my desktop pc. Also what file format are you transferring to the HDD, divx ? or just dvd?

Cheers

All I did was as stated above. connect a USB hub you know the ones that turn one port into 4. the are easily available I have even seen them in euro general (although I am not sure this would work quality wise) I added this to one of my laptop or in you case PC and plugged the multimedia HDD into one of the extra ports that this created http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_hub

I am only doing xvid at the moment but I think the device can cope with DVD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭mburke

Would you recommend the device ?

mburke wrote: »
    Would you recommend the device ?

The one I am using was bought in Aldi its made by tevion it was in a set of laptop accessories. that one works for me. I have tried the ones available lin euro general (pound City) they are crap and don't work.

My guess any decent one bought for around 7 quid should do the trick.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Does this support AC3 audio, does anyone know

• Advertisement

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Does this support AC3 audio, does anyone know

I know any movie i play that has AC3 audio it works no problem. Great little gadget now that I go the transfer speed sorted, the only minor gripe I have with it is that it does not support all subtitle formats like .sub but it does support most of the others.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Ah good stuff, I've ordered 2 of these yesterday evening, I've read a few decent reviews of them ok and they seem excellent value for the money. Hopefully I wont have the speed issues as a few others have had, sure if I do, I'll try what you suggested. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Spelman

Hi
    I have a Memup LX 1 TB media player and when exploring the folders, if the name of the movie/show is too long for the screen it automatically scrolls to the right so you can read the entire name. This is very useful for TV shows as often the episode number is on the end and the episodes are not always in order.
    I have just gotten a Memup FX 1 TB, but when I select a title it does not scroll over to allow me read the full text and so for many shows I do not know what episode I am watching as it is out of view.
    Does anyone know a way around this?
    Thanks.

Spelman wrote: »
    Hi
    I have a Memup LX 1 TB media player and when exploring the folders, if the name of the movie/show is too long for the screen it automatically scrolls to the right so you can read the entire name. This is very useful for TV shows as often the episode number is on the end and the episodes are not always in order.
    I have just gotten a Memup FX 1 TB, but when I select a title it does not scroll over to allow me read the full text and so for many shows I do not know what episode I am watching as it is out of view.
    Does anyone know a way around this?
    Thanks.

Have you tried opening the files on your computer and simply changing the nam to something shorter eg The_Sopranos_Seasion03_episide05 to Sopranos S3 E5

Advertisement