Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samurai shodown sen

Options
  • 02-04-2010 4:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭

I just heard of this. I'm a big fan of the series.It's listed here as having a "Spring 2010" release date. Game have it listed as 16/4/2010. This months been pretty good for fighting games. Anyone what have the reviews been like? Only saw two here and they're mixed. It's an Xbox exclusive from what I gathered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samurai_Shodown:_Sen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭meducation

This looks pretty good:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

I've heard nothing but bad things, might consider grabbing it when it's cheap just for a laugh...

I've also heard they made the finishers much gorier than before which is a bit of a turn off considering Nakoruru and Rimiruru are still in. Hacking little girls to pieces doesn't really float my boat (no matter what anyone tells you).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

http://iplaywinner.com/news/2010/4/1/haunts-reviews-samurai-shodown-sen-for-1upcom.html
    Generally speaking, it's really slow, clunky game, where you end up blocking a lot and offense typically consists of either throwing or going in for a powerful slash that will kill your opponent in just a handful of strikes. As I mentioned, they also have game play mechanics like juggle combos, just frame input moves, while rising attacks -- stuff you'll find in other 3D fighting games -- but a worthwhile experience gets lost in this mess. I tried to look past the PS2-esque graphics, but horrible hit detection, an embarrassing training mode, tedious gameplay and a handful of glitches makes this a title to definitely pass on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

It should have stayed in 2d.:mad:

I got it.HMV exclusive it seems. First of all alot of negative stuff said about in the reviews is over the top. The characters do look a bit last gen alright but they're on par with Dead or Alive 3. The backgrounds look o.k. some nice variation in design and locales. Some are actually quite pretty.
    Also there's a lot of them.
    It sounds good. Some nice tunes representing each countries stage,and if you like the typical Samurai Shodown trad Jap music you'll love it.
    The sound effects are great.

Gameplay is different from other Sam sho games. There does'nt seem to be any real projectile attacks so what you're left with is a game that has a similiar style to Soul calibur but,paradoxically,more fast and more tactical. This game is really fast.in terms of actual game speed and style. I don't know if they were trying to make it realistic but it's fast. So you really need to master a characters moves and combos against a high level player/cpu.

It's funny how some things are just so much more visceral when taken into the third dimension. I never noticed the blood or "finishers" in the 2-D Sam sho games but you'll notice it here. Excute the right move at the right time and you'll decapitate an enemy or dismember them,leaving the victim writing in physical agony,holding the remnants of limb to stop the blood. When this happens with the likes of Nakoruru you can't help but feel disconcerted.

Prestation wise it's good. The character roster approaches thirty. Almost half of the characters are new but there's plenty of old faces. I was happy to see Charlotte,Ukyo and Jubei. I played one online game and it was flawless. Menu screens and character art are good and what you'd expect from a genre that pays homage to the Samurai movies of Japanese cinema.

I'd give it a 7/10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Not Nakoruru! T_T

And even Rimururu.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Xluna wrote: »
    And even Rimururu.
    386ae9d001ec4c62ab5d3dffaf292bab.jpg

As a big brother ... this makes me ANGRY.

Advertisement