Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football Books

• 02-04-2010 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

What's the best football book you have read ? I'm just about to start on A Season With Verona by Tim Parks which I've only heard good things about, anyone got any recommendations ?

So at present I'd go for:

1. Dynamo - Defending the Honour of Kiev
    2. Michael Crick's Biography of Sir Alex
    3. The Damned United - David Peace

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Oh nearly forgot, a special mention must go to Philippe Auclair's - The Rebel Who Would be King, without a doubt the best book on Cantona I've read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Theres a book called "Barca: A People's Passion" thats a savage read, by Jimmy Burns, looks not only at the club but the catalonia region in general.

Also Paul McGrath's is excellent if heart breaking.

"Fever Pitch" by Nick Hornby deserves a mention, sums up exactly what its like to be a football fan and the mindset and obsessiveness involved.

"Only a Game: Diary of a Professional Footballer" by Eamonn Dunphy is very very good as well.

Of the autobiographies I've read, most of which are utter cack, Carragher's and Keane's are a cut above the rest.

Read a good little book about Maradona a while back as well, very good read, can't remember the author.

"The Garrison Game: The State of Irish Football" by Dave Hannigan is also really good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Eamonn Sweeney - Theres only one Red Army

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Shelbourne Cult Heroes is a pretty good read, really the only football book I've read.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Shelbourne-Cult-Heroes-Bulawayo-Ballybough/dp/1905483678

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Bin dun a million times on here but lets summarise:

Anything by these guys:
    Simon Kuper
    David Conn
    Jonathan Wilson

The 'foreigner in Italy' series (Parks, Agnew & Miracle of castro di sagno)

Who stole our game? if you can find a copy anywhere

And of course this badboy, be warned it may make you go out and source DVDs of Holland '74 & Ajax 70-73.

brilliantorange.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Keano's autobiography is an excellent read. Especially since the era of football he speaks of is the one i knew as a kid.

Paul McGrath's is a really harrowing read. It's not about the football with Paul's book, it's all about the man. For instance, there's about 2 lines written about the World Cup. But by the time you reach that part of the book you don't wanna hear about the football. It's a great read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

On recommendation from this forum, I'm currently reading Inverting the Pyramid : The History of Football Tactics by Jonathon Wilson.

Excellent read so far.

Going to look into getting that one about the Dutch too.

This book, Who Stole Our Game? by Daire Whelan, is a must read for all with an interest in why domestic football in Ireland is so poorly supported. It isn't some pious LoI fundamentalist on a preachy rant. ;)

I've read McGrath's book, but all I took from it was "Oh poor me, take pity on me" tbh.

Keane is a good read too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Des wrote: »
    On recommendation from this forum, I'm currently reading Inverting the Pyramid : The History of Football Tactics by Jonathon Wilson.

Excellent read so far.

Finished this the other day and though it was great.

That Brilliant Orange book is supposed to be very good too, think my Dad has it somewhere, might borrow it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Des wrote: »

This book, Who Stole Our Game? by Daire Whelan, is a must read for all with an interest in why domestic football in Ireland is so poorly supported. It isn't some pious LoI fundamentalist on a preachy rant. ;)

Very good read, think SantryRed still has my copy from like 2 years ago.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Morbo. Easily the best.

Stay away from Hornby's rubbish. That book about following Sligo was crap. Piss poor rip off of the Fever Pitch idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Very good read, think SantryRed still has my copy from like 2 years old.:mad:
    You were able to read when you were two?:eek:

Pity you can't spell :rolleyes::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Why England Lose & Other Curious Football Phenomena Explained by Simon Kuper & Stefan Szymanski is a thoroughly entertaining read, applying economic, psychological and sociological theories to many frequently asked and until now unanswered questions surrounding football.

Mad For It by Andy Mitten is a book detailing some of the most ferociously contested local derbies in the world. Some parts fall flat, but some of them are an intriguing look into the psyche of the world's most fanatical supporters.

The Damned United by David Peace. Excellent read and very entertaining read. Movie is well worth a look too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

going to be predictable as usual but going to go for King Kenny's autobio. A very good read but not necessarily the best "sports" book i have ever read. But for any pool fan a must.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Garrincha's biography is a decent read, I think the author's name is Rui Castro or something similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I love reading autobiographies.

I thought Paul McGrath's book was outstanding. He doesn't try and hide anything. Very honest.

I've also read Bobby Charlton's book which is an enjoyable read but perhaps only if you're a United or England fan. Roy Keane's book is very entertaining and a must read. I've read Ryan Giggs's book and also Rio Ferdinand's which I liked. The former I preferred over the latter.

Sir Alex's book I thought was an excellent read. I found it fascinating hearing his thoughts on ex players but it's perhaps one for United fans only. I read Norman Whiteside's one which was OK. Not bad but not spectacular.

One to avoid like the plague - Wayne Rooney's one. I took it out from the local library and wish I hadn't bothered. I think it was written when he was like 20. It's pants. You'll feel dumber after reading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Ill second that one carlop. Anyone who loses their virginity to a goat is worth reading about;)

Another one that was mentioned Futebol: A brazilian way of life is a great read aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

'43 Years With The Same Bird' by Brian Reade is an excellent book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Tony Adams autobiography is the best player biography i've ever read.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

A Season With Verona is an excellent book, and I'd also agree with the recommendation for Barca, as it really goes into detail about how the club and Catalonian identity are intertwined.

Some other good reads include:

The Miracle of Castel di Sangro (Joe McGinniss) - a year in the life of a village team who made it to Serie B, as chronicled by an American soccer fan.

Broken Dreams (Tom Bower) - how money and greed have threatened football

Left Foot Forward & Left Foot in the Grave - (Garry Nelson) - what it's like to be a journeyman footballer, and then player/coach in the 3rd division

Stamping Grounds (Charlie Connelly) - a very entertaining account of Liechtenstein's 2002 World Cup qualifying campaign

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I think I may have to check out A season with Verona. Verona's fans are proper nutters and make Lazio seem Communist, or at least that's my perception of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Fever Pitch: Big Nick Hornby fan, have read most of his other books, really sums up what it can be like being a football fan.

Steaming In : Colin Ward(Arsenal fan) tells the story of terrace life in the late 70's, 80's following Arsenal, Chelsea and England.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steaming-Colin-Ward/dp/0743495500

Among The Thugs: Bill Buford, fasinating book into football violence in England during the 80's.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Among-Thugs-Bill-Buford/dp/0099416344/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270251385&sr=1-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

As this topic pops up every couple of months,I think this thread should be made a sticky .I read a lot of football books and a sticky would be great for finding out about good books because there are a huge amount of **** ones released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

There are 5 sticky topics already. That enough I reckon.

My best would be

- The Damned United
    - Paul McGrath autobiography
    - Tony Adams autobiography

Going to dig into "Calcio" soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

The Damned United - David Peace
    Fever Pitch - Nick Hornby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

9780091905620.jpg

Utterly brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Reading Paul McGraths at the mo, tough to read alright, but very enjoyable all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

FC Baghdad by Simon Freeman. Great and sad story of the Iraqi national side under the reign of Saddam Hussain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    9780091905620.jpg

Utterly brilliant

I got it and Love the topic but I gave this up after 2 chapters. Thought it was utter crap but maybe I should give it another chance.

Miracle in Castel Di Sandro is my favourite by miles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

barca_a_people_amp_039_s_passion_fc_barcelona_07_0747545545_490x350.png

My favourite piece of sports literature for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭thusspakeblixa

Morbo by Phil Ball is an excellent history of Spanish football. A great read, very accessible too for people not acquainted with Spain.

In a similar vain, Jonathan Wilson's Behind the Curtain does a similar job for ex-USSR football. He travels around Russia, Ukraine, Hungary, ex-Yugoslavia, Romania etc. and tells the story of football in the USSR. An absolute must-read IMO.

...Also that Forza Italia book is dire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

carlop wrote: »
    Verona's fans are proper nutters and make Lazio seem Communist, or at least that's my perception of them.

One of those terms you've used to describe them is apt, and it ain't the one beginning with C...;)

Great book though, well worth the read.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Hunter Davies' The Glory Game, it is rightly considered a classic of British sports writing.

The Glory Game is an excellent book .dont think a book like that could be written nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Calcio by John Foot is a fantastic read. If you weren't a fan of Italian football before reading it (shame on you) you will be after. Excellent.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Calcio-History-Football-John-Foot/dp/0007175752/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270308674&sr=8-1

Got Englischer Fussball by Raphael Hönigstein the other day. It's quite good so far.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Englischer-Fussball-German-View-Beautiful/dp/022408013X

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

what was that book about that Italian Serie B team that came out maybe 15 to 20 years ago. Heard it was very good.

• Advertisement

what was that book about that Italian Serie B team that came out maybe 15 to 20 years ago. Heard it was very good.

The Miracle of Castel di Sangro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Ive read every type of football book going but the best has to be A Season With Verona. Just go on Amazon and read the customer reviews. Its had an astonishing effect. Theres people who had just a passing interest in football, who, after reading the book, have boarded flights to Italy, just so they can sit in the 'mythical' Bentegodi stadium and hear the chants of supporters! Seriously!

Like all the great football books, the actual matches themselves just serve as way of linking the chapters and giving it all some structure. The real brilliance of the book is in the descriptions of everyday life in Italy, the eccentricities of the people, the obsessiveness of the supporters, the undertones of corruption from the top of society right through to the bottom. If you want a political and social commentary on a country with plenty of great travel and football writing thrown in to lighten it up, then this book is the one to get.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Thinking about what I've read not a whole lot,

Fever Pitch (yonks ago, loved it)
    Once in a Lifetime (magical, absolutely ****ing magical)
    Damned united (everyone knows it now, really enjoyable)
    A season on the brink (pretty trashy Ballague book)
    Carra (I didn't buy this btw, ****ing hell, absolutely egomaniacal shiz)
    Only a game? (Dunphy. Legend.)

Can't think of many mroe gonna check out a few from this soon though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

2 great books not mentioned

All Played Out - Pete Davies great book about the 1990 World Cup

Football Against the Enemy Simon Kuiper - Brilliant book looking at football rivalries round the globe

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

greendom wrote: »
    2 great books not mentioned

All Played Out - Pete Davies great book about the 1990 World Cup

ah bugger, how did I forget that one, refresh my memory is that the one that follows England fans during the world cup?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

'Brilliant Orange - The Neurotic Genius of Dutch Football' is without doubt the best book I've ever read. Just reading all the stories of Piet Keizer, Cryuff, Michels is something else aswell as reading Winner's explanations on the social and political background at the time.

'Psycho' - Stuart Pearce's autobiography is another great read.

Other honourable mentions: 'Cloughie', 'Back from the Brink'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Only a Game - Dunphy
    A Strange Kind of Glory - Dunphy
    Barca - Jimmy Burns
    Hnad of God - Jummy Burns
    The Boss - Michael Crick
    Football Against The Enemy - Simon Kupar
    Who Stole Our Game - Daire Whelan
    A Game of Two Halves - Stephen F Kelly (ed)
    Hillsborough, the Truth - Phil Scraton
    The Damned United - David Peace

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

- The Greatest Footballer You Never Saw: Robin Friday Story (Paul McGuigan & Paolo Hewitt )
    - Pointless (Jeff Connor)

+1 to Season With Verona, Baghdad FC, Football Against THe Enemy, Stamping Grounds & Miricle of Castel di Sangro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭RustySpoon

I rellay enjoyed:

My father and other working class football heroes by Gary Imlach
    Paul McGraths autobiography
    Tony Cascarinos autobiography

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Not sure if it was mentioned but "43 Years with the same bird by Brian Reade" is a great book.

You don't need to be a liverpool fan to enjoy this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I got it and Love the topic but I gave this up after 2 chapters. Thought it was utter crap but maybe I should give it another chance.

Miracle in Castel Di Sandro is my favourite by miles

I couldn't agree more. Miracle is awesome, but Paddy's book is poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Soccer in a Football World: The Story of America's Forgotten Game - David Wangerin

Great insight into how the soccer never did and still fails to grab the publics attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Some more 'fun' football books filled with funny facts/stories:

Balls - Tales From Football's Nether Regions by Paul Brown
    Born To Dribble by Liam McCann

Then some books examining the hooligan phenomenon and the subsequent mistreatment of innocent fans and so on:

Barmy Army by Dougie Brimson
    Kicking Off by Dougie Brimson

And then a compilation of the best local derbies in the world:

Mad For It by Andy Mitten

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Of autobiographies, I thought McGrath's and Clough's were the best. Pelé's latest was fairly self-indulgent, though I still like it.

Garrincha's bio was really interesting but it's hard to know how much the author really knew.

Futebol by Alex Barros was really good. It was a slightly different look at football in Brazil but really enjoyable.

I liked Paddy Agnew's book on Italy and also John Foot's history of Italian football.

I remember years ago reading a book called "Wanderers Stories". It was just a collection of short pieces about Bray players and incidents. It was a fascinating read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

OPENROAD wrote: »
    ah bugger, how did I forget that one, refresh my memory is that the one that follows England fans during the world cup?

That's the one - very heartfelt going through the ups and downs of England's campaign in Italy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement