Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football Books

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

gustavo wrote: »
    Eamonn Sweeney - Theres only one Red Army

IMHO one of the best sports writers in the business still must read the book though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I thought this could do with a bump given the season that's in it and all.

Any more recommendations out there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I really want to read Robert Enkes biography that was translated, its supposed to be good.

Paul Scholes appears to have an autobiography but I think its a picture book with descriptions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Mushy wrote: »
    I really want to read Robert Enkes biography that was translated, its supposed to be good.

Paul Scholes appears to have an autobiography but I think its a picture book with descriptions.

read scholes book loved it, not the boring i was born here went to school there it just pictures of him playing, gave a great insight eg quitting england

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

For a bit of something different,

The Fix - Declan hill
    The Fix is the most explosive story of sports corruption in a generation. Intriguing, riveting, and compelling, it tells the story of an investigative journalist who sets out to examine the world of match-fixing in professional soccer.

Fantastic read

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭POKERKING

Giles autobiography isnt bad.

As someone mentioned Cascarino' is decent not the usual crap.

Gazza and Ruud Gullet's are good as is George best(autobiography).

Just finished "im not really here" by Paul Lake, great read but i could be biased!

George Best "Blessed" is a cracking book. One of the best sports books I've read.

As is Tony Adams autobiography.

Brian Reades book is fantastic "43 years with the same bird"

Shankly "My story" also a very good read.

Both Mc Graths books are great reads.

Both Dalglishs are great reads (The foreword of his first is written by a one Alex Ferguson)

Other ones I've read:

Mick Mc Carthys autobiography-old book, probably mid 90's. It captures the Euro 88 annd Italia 90 stuff.

Robbie Fowlers - rubbish.
    Keegans - not bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Its been mentioned already, but Brilliant Orange really is an outstanding read.

Barca: A Peoples Passion is a good read as well, but extremely heavy. Its not exactly bed time reading.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

eh i dunno wrote: »

I don't know was it the earlier or later versions of that were called ''Right Wing to B Wing'', but either way, great book

Another good read, one I haven't seen mentioned is Parklife by Nick Varley
    Written by a Leeds fan and released at the turn of the century, Varley’s book takes in the experiences of a supporter whose years of following the game hinge upon the Hillsborough disaster and its aftermath. Varley was not at the fateful 1989 FA Cup semi-final between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest but two of his friends were, and one died in the crush on the Leppings Lane terrace. Over nine chapters, Parklife begins by covering the poisonous 1980s football climate before moving on to Hillsborough, and then assesses the changes wrought upon football during the nineties as a result of the Taylor Report and the influence of BSkyB’s money from the perspective of fans, players, and clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

tommyhaas wrote: »
    I don't know was it the earlier or later versions of that were called ''Right Wing to B Wing'', but either way, great book

Another good read, one I haven't seen mentioned is Parklife by Nick Varley

Parklife is great, really enjoyed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Have a question and didn't want to start a new thread. Which book would ye recommend most out of these
    Brilliant orange
    Dennis bergkamp book stillness and speed
    A season with verona

The Secret life of Tony Cascarino
    Dennis Bergkamp : Stillness and Speed
    Gary Neville : Red
    Matt Le Tissier : Taking le Tiss
    Perry Groves : We all live in a Perry Groves World

All very good books

Would love to read 'The sash i never wore' by Derek Dougan who used play for Wolves. This is a player who strived for a United Irish team regardless of politics at a time when tensions were at an all time high up North

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Have a question and didn't want to start a new thread. Which book would ye recommend most out of these
    Brilliant orange
    Dennis bergkamp book stillness and speed
    A season with verona

Brilliant Orange.

If you want to understand the way the Dutch function and how they became what they did in football, there's no better book. It's brilliantly written. There's quite a reverence for Bergkamp in it too which may overlap with your second pick there.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Brilliant Orange.

If you want to understand the way the Dutch function and how they became what they did in football, there's no better book. It's brilliantly written. There's quite a reverence for Bergkamp in it too which may overlap with your second pick there.
    Thanks think I might get that first and then Bergkamp's when I'm finished

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Ok for me the top of the pile is Full Time: The Secret Life of Tony Cascarino

Paul McGraths Back from the Brink

Fever Pitch - Mainly because I vividly remember that season still :)

So Paddy got up - an Arsenal anthology

Together: the story of Arsenal’s unbeaten season

I have a fair few football books on the bookshelf that I haven't gotten around to reading so I might order them by the recommendations here.

Advertisement