Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

alternative to garlic??

Options
  • 02-04-2010 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭

im allergic to garlic, but I looove it!!
    i'd love to be able to cook a proper pasta dish, or chinese meal with the taste of garlic in it.

has anyone any alternatives to garlic?? I've read about "aestifida" or something, that apparently tastes like it, but I doubt I could buy that in Dublin too easily.

any suggestions?
    cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

You'd get that in any Asian spice shop.

Don't know if it would do what you want, though.

I wonder if you'd be allergic to wild garlic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

You could try Garlic Chive, you can get it in Asian shops. Asafoetida is available there too. Are you also allergic to onions, or just garlic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

You should be able to get it in any decent Asian store. Last time I got it it was in a yellow plastic cylindrical container about 3 inches across by about 1 inch down.

If you do have trouble locating it, go to one of the hare krishna restaurants and ask them (http://www.govindas.ie). They can't use garlic, onions and mushrooms due some sort of bad karma as they grow at night (something like that).

Careful though, it is strong and very smelly (gets better when cooked) and keep in an airtight container.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

i got it in tescos believe it or not

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

White truffle oil gives off a really great garliccy aroma, but use it sparringly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭catho_monster

I'm allergic to garlic too, and I find you can just leave it out of most dishes without really noticing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

tricky D wrote: »
    You should be able to get it in any decent Asian store. Last time I got it it was in a yellow plastic cylindrical container about 3 inches across by about 1 inch down.

If you do have trouble locating it, go to one of the hare krishna restaurants and ask them (http://www.govindas.ie). They can't use garlic, onions and mushrooms due some sort of bad karma as they grow at night (something like that).

Careful though, it is strong and very smelly (gets better when cooked) and keep in an airtight container.

Tricky D, is that the same govindas as seen in the Galway Market? they make the best kitchiri in the world, I'd love to know if it's them!
    Emozolita, Asafoetida is often sold as Hing in asian shops. But raw it is really really smelly, only nice when cooked, and has more of an onion flavour really than garlic, imo.

Have you tried leeks...they have a sweetness like garlic, also shallots.
    This company apparently makes artificial garlic flavouring, but I don't know how they make them.
    Also, there are garlic chives/scapes, but they are part of the plant, so may still contain the chemical you are allergic to.
    There are also ramsons which is wild garlic. There is also field garlic which you smell growing wild in fields in the countryside in the summer!
    Again it is all down to what you are allergic to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

OpenBake wrote: »
    Tricky D, is that the same govindas as seen in the Galway Market? they make the best kitchiri in the world, I'd love to know if it's them!
    Emozolita, Asafoetida is often sold as Hing in asian shops. But raw it is really really smelly, only nice when cooked, and has more of an onion flavour really than garlic, imo.

Dunno, it should be. Can't imagine them not being Hare Krishna though maybe not exactly the same organisation. Iirc there was a bit of a split over 10 years ago between the more devout and more relaxed. Regardless I'd imagine that they'll be using Asafoetida/Hing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

i dunno about not being allergic to wild garlic. just narrowed it down to garlic. and no im not allergic to onions at all.

ill defo look into that aestofida though, even though yous are sayin it gives an oniony taste rather than garlic, I got it online as a garlic substitute.

so many replies, aw thanks boardies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

i need to learn how to spell Asafoetida too, lol!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭restaurants

You could try Garlic Chive, you can get it in Asian shops. Asafoetida is available there too. Are you also allergic to onions, or just garlic?
    I find the Asian shops excellent.
    There are lots of alternatives there.
    Go there when it is quiet and get to spend a bit of time with the owner.
    They are well informed and give great cooking tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,505 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You could try Garlic Chive, you can get it in Asian shops.

Or grow your own! I've seen them sold in garden centres. Like normal chives they are hardy and easy to grow. You will be able to harvest for most of the year (except in winter). They die off in winter but come back in early spring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 thefoodie

Advertisement