Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League of ireland Easter bunnies birthday weekend

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

dreamers75 wrote: »
    tbh with that squad i would expect nothing less, wasnt impressed with them myself knowing almost all of the players on their team. Considering what they were up against felt they were a rather poor team but hyped up well.

Cracking squad tho.

Agree. I dont like the negative tactics we play away from home. With the squad we have I think we should go for it this season, home and away. Especially against teams outside the top two (Bohs and Shams). We are good enough IMO.
    For this season its not about finishing above Bohs and Shams, its about Finishing above Pats, Dundalk and sligo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

So who gives out the free tickets to the Fingals games? Might head over on Monday to see Rovers season go further down the drain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

Des wrote: »
    er, lol @ Fingal fans thinking they are title challengers

fúcking lol

What on earth are you on about ?

bohsman wrote: »
    So who gives out the free tickets to the Fingals games? Might head over on Monday to see Rovers season go further down the drain.

You will be welcome. But you will have to pay:) Hopefully a good game and crowd. I have to admit im loving this season so far. As a Newbie to this division, im enjoying heading to the other grounds in the top flight and I have to say, so far we have been welcomed at all grounds. Cheers for that.

Hopefully we put on a good display against Shamrock Rvs.

same as we thought last season, thought they'd walk the 1st, but they came 3rd

Mercenaries there for the $$, not to play or commit to the side

Thats my point, the shells head thinks that Bohs has the title won already when as you say the same thing was said about Fingal last year but only came third. Its early days yet and after the first few games nobody has yet set the league alight with any outstanding performances and the league is wide open at this early stage.

You do know how silly the mercenaries comment sounds dont you ? :D

CSF wrote: »
    Not really, Shels and Waterford were always viewed as realistic challengers and it wasn't long before UCD were too. Bohs on the other hand look to be in a league of their own.

How do you work that one out ? If they were playing everyone off the park every week then i might agree with you but the truth is they aint doing so and there isnt anything between the top 5 teams at the moment football quality wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭CSF

How do you work that one out ? If they were playing everyone off the park every week then i might agree with you but the truth is they aint doing so and there isnt anything between the top 5 teams at the moment football quality wise.
    You'll start to understand Irish football soon enough if you actually believe that. Bohs are a million miles ahead of the rest, even if they haven't played right to their abilities for the first few games. I'm actually embarassed for you that you've put Fingal in the same bracket as Bohs in terms of football quality. Cringe.

You'll start to understand Irish football soon enough if you actually believe that. Bohs are a million miles ahead of the rest, even if they haven't played right to their abilities for the first few games. I'm actually embarassed for you that you've put Fingal in the same bracket as Bohs in terms of football quality. Cringe.

Again, you are trying to make out he is saying something he isnt. He is stating, based on what has been seen so far that there isnt much difference between the top teams and id have to agree. This doesnt mean Bohs wont go on to blow the rest of us out of the water but based on what has happened in the first 5 games this isnt evident.

Also you make the mistake of thinking the poster is new to LOI football by trying to make out he doesnt understand irish football. The guy knows his irish football. I have seen you use this tactic with a few different posters on here and it happens to be very condescending on your part.

Nobody here isnt saying Bohs wont win the league but your statement at the beginning of this debate still doesnt stand up IMO based on the first 5 games played and that is all that is being (or should be) debated. You seem to want to drag fingal into it when that is not what is being debated.

Now, away with you. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Tbh, I see no reason why Fingal won't challenge. They have some really good players. Yes, they didn't win the FD last year but tbh I think that's because the players thought they were too good for it and could just turn up. Now that they're in the PD, I honestly do think they'll finish 2nd or 3rd. After Bohs, who else is there? Rovers seem to be up to absolutely nothing this season.

• Advertisement

Again, you are trying to make out he is saying something he isnt. He is stating, based on what has been seen so far that there isnt much difference between the top teams and id have to agree. This doesnt mean Bohs wont go on to blow the rest of us out of the water but based on what has happened in the first 5 games this isnt evident.

Also you make the mistake of thinking the poster is new to LOI football by trying to make out he doesnt understand irish football. The guy knows his irish football. I have seen you use this tactic with a few different posters on here and it happens to be very condescending on your part.

Nobody here isnt saying Bohs wont win the league but your statement at the beginning of this debate still doesnt stand up IMO based on the first 5 games played and that is all that is being (or should be) debated. You seem to want to drag fingal into it when that is not what is being debated.

Now, away with you. :)
    Utter tripe. For one, based on what has happened in the first 5 games, Bohs have dropped the least points (ok they've played a game less, but its against Bray to be fair). I can also safely say that you and Pineapple Stu have only seen the one Bohs game this season, because well they've only been on TV the once, and their games have been on the same night as Fingal ones. Thats not to say I've seen more, but I've seen every single one of their players play on a regular basis, I've seen them play as a team regularly last season, and they're just miles better. Theres a massive difference.

You're wrong in your 2nd paragraph too actually, that tactic was used before yes, but on the same bloke, and if you'll remember correctly, he couldn't answer the footballing points made to him then either.

How does the point not stand up after the first 5 games? God I'd hate to be unbeaten and having dropped the least amount of points in the league. Must be terrible.

If you were to base things on the first 5 games of the season, the only realistic challengers would be Pats. Fingal have failed to win against every single top team they've played, and only collected wins against the bottom 2, Shamrock Rovers have well, 1 win from 5. Dundalk have done ok enough, but shown nothing to suggest they're on the same form as Bohs. Sligo only have 1 win from 5. So please tell me based on the form of the first 5 games (which is what you deem relevant, not me, I'm basing my argument on the class and depth Bohs have in their squad), how there is little to choose between Bohs and anyone other than Pats.

And I think the Pats lads on here will gladly put their hands up and admit that they aren't gonna win the league this year, but have a great chance of qualifying for Europe through the league if they keep performing the way they are. Its only really Fingal fans who seem to be protesting this, which is why its being linked to Fingal. And I do believe its based on Fingal fans lack of experience of this league, because everyone else seems to know how far ahead Bohs are of the pack.

Utter tripe. For one, based on what has happened in the first 5 games, Bohs have dropped the least points (ok they've played a game less, but its against Bray to be fair). I can also safely say that you and Pineapple Stu have only seen the one Bohs game this season, because well they've only been on TV the once, and their games have been on the same night as Fingal ones. Thats not to say I've seen more, but I've seen every single one of their players play on a regular basis, I've seen them play as a team regularly last season, and they're just miles better. Theres a massive difference.

You're wrong in your 2nd paragraph too actually, that tactic was used before yes, but on the same bloke, and if you'll remember correctly, he couldn't answer the footballing points made to him then either.

How does the point not stand up after the first 5 games? God I'd hate to be unbeaten and having dropped the least amount of points in the league. Must be terrible.

If you were to base things on the first 5 games of the season, the only realistic challengers would be Pats. Fingal have failed to win against every single top team they've played, and only collected wins against the bottom 2, Shamrock Rovers have well, 1 win from 5. Dundalk have done ok enough, but shown nothing to suggest they're on the same form as Bohs. Sligo only have 1 win from 5. So please tell me based on the form of the first 5 games (which is what you deem relevant, not me, I'm basing my argument on the class and depth Bohs have in their squad), how there is little to choose between Bohs and anyone other than Pats.

And I think the Pats lads on here will gladly put their hands up and admit that they aren't gonna win the league this year, but have a great chance of qualifying for Europe through the league if they keep performing the way they are. Its only really Fingal fans who seem to be protesting this, which is why its being linked to Fingal. And I do believe its based on Fingal fans lack of experience of this league, because everyone else seems to know how far ahead Bohs are of the pack.

I have my views and they dont actually differ too much from yours on a lot of points. Although you keep trying to make out they do.
    I just dont think its as cut and dry as you make out thats all and you dont have to be a league of ireland fan for years to know football in generall doesnt always go the way people think or expect it to.

Bohs where expected to run away with it last year and they didnt. Nobody Expected shamrock rvs to challenge last year and they did. All im saying is you cant make the sweeping statement you did if you really understood football yourself because if you did then you would know it has a habit of suprising you. Half way true last season you where predicting shels where going to win the league. How did that one work out?

Most league of ireland fans thought we would run away with the 1st div last year and we didnt. Nobody expected UCD to win the league last year and they did. Its why football is great and what I like about the league of Ireland. It keeps throwing up suprises.

If you ask me who will win the league this year my answer is Bohs.
    But if you are trying to tell me that they have one hand on the trophy and it would be a miracle for any other team to win it (like you stated earlier) then Im sorry, Im just not going to buy it and that in my mind is all this discussion should be about.
    Iv been watching football for too long to know that strong favourites and the best teams dont always win what they should. They do most of the time but not always.

Im sure the pats lads will hold their hands up and say they wont win the title. I never stated they would. The shamrock rvs fans said the same last year and ended up challenging. UCD Fans at best where hoping for 3rd last year and never expected to win it.

As for your tactic about trying to use certain posters so called lack of knowledge about the league against them hapening only once. Well thats not true. You have done it with me and various others posters in the fingal thread.

I have my views and they dont actually differ too much from yours on a lot of points. Although you keep trying to make out they do.
    I just dont think its as cut and dry as you make out thats all and you dont have to be a league of ireland fan for years to know football in generall doesnt always go the way people think or expect it to.

Bohs where expected to run away with it last year and they didnt. Nobody Expected shamrock rvs to challenge last year and they did. All im saying is you cant make the sweeping statement you did if you really understood football yourself because if you did then you would know it has a habit of suprising you. Half way true last season you where predicting shels where going to win the league. How did that one work out?

Most league of ireland fans thought we would run away with the 1st div last year and we didnt. Nobody expected UCD to win the league last year and they did. Its why football is great and what I like about the league of Ireland. It keeps throwing up suprises.

If you ask me who will win the league this year my answer is Bohs.
    But if you are trying to tell me that they have one hand on the trophy and it would be a miracle for any other team to win it (like you stated earlier) then Im sorry, Im just not going to buy it and that in my mind is all this discussion should be about.
    Iv been watching football for too long to know that strong favourites and the best teams dont always win what they should. They do most of the time but not always.

Im sure the pats lads will hold their hands up and say they wont win the title. I never stated they would. The shamrock rvs fans said the same last year and ended up challenging. UCD Fans at best where hoping for 3rd last year and never expected to win it.

As for your tactic about trying to use certain posters so called lack of knowledge about the league against them hapening only once. Well thats not true. You have done it with me and various others posters in the fingal thread.
    I do feel that way about most Fingal fans, and I don't think its an outlandish opinion as if they had such an interest in the league, its strange that they didn't already support a club, there'll be a few that were just neutral beforehand, but you don't find many neutral football supporters, it seems like a contradiction in itself. But the only 1 I've directly challenged on not having a clue is this Pineapple Stu lad, because well, lets face it, he hasn't a breeze.

Back to the point at hand anyways, I accept that something mad could happen and Bohs won't win it, but it will take something mad, hence them having 'one hand on the title'. Its going to take something gigantic from one of other teams, you mention the Rovers example, they went 26 games unbeaten in a 36 game league, and Bohs still beat them to the league, do any team in the league look to have anything like the ability to go 26 games unbeaten? You'll need another Gary Twigg, and the main chance of Bohs being beaten is if he gets back fast and starts scoring goals a plenty.

This season looks like being way more like the season before last, with Bohs running away with it, and there being a number of other teams fighting for 2nd and 3rd. Its going to take something miraculous from any of the teams (outside Rovers) to beat Bohs this year. They're just that good. And it isn't like Fingal last year, Fingal didn't win last year because they had an average manager. Same reason Shels didn't win it, UCD had a great one. As do Bohs, Bohs have the best team in the league by a mile, and the best manager in the league by a mile. And a run of injuries won't hurt Bohs, their squad is pure depth, pure quality throughout. So can you propose to me what could possibly stop them? I accept its a possibility, but such a marginal one. The standard of the league this year with Cork and Derry gone is a bit muck.

I do feel that way about most Fingal fans, and I don't think its an outlandish opinion as if they had such an interest in the league, its strange that they didn't already support a club, there'll be a few that were just neutral beforehand, but you don't find many neutral football supporters, it seems like a contradiction in itself. But the only 1 I've directly challenged on not having a clue is this Pineapple Stu lad, because well, lets face it, he hasn't a breeze.

Back to the point at hand anyways, I accept that something mad could happen and Bohs won't win it, but it will take something mad, hence them having 'one hand on the title'. Its going to take something gigantic from one of other teams, you mention the Rovers example, they went 26 games unbeaten in a 36 game league, and Bohs still beat them to the league, do any team in the league look to have anything like the ability to go 26 games unbeaten? You'll need another Gary Twigg, and the main chance of Bohs being beaten is if he gets back fast and starts scoring goals a plenty.

This season looks like being way more like the season before last, with Bohs running away with it, and there being a number of other teams fighting for 2nd and 3rd. Its going to take something miraculous from any of the teams (outside Rovers) to beat Bohs this year. They're just that good. And it isn't like Fingal last year, Fingal didn't win last year because they had an average manager. Same reason Shels didn't win it, UCD had a great one. As do Bohs, Bohs have the best team in the league by a mile, and the best manager in the league by a mile. And a run of injuries won't hurt Bohs, their squad is pure depth, pure quality throughout. So can you propose to me what could possibly stop them? I accept its a possibility, but such a marginal one. The standard of the league this year with Cork and Derry gone is a bit muck.

For starters who cares when a person does or doesnt decide to start supporting the league as long as they do is the most important thing IMO. (and please lets not head down this road)
    I never said it was an outlandish opinion. Im saying you should stop doing it in order to put down the other persons point of view. There opinions dont suddenly become wrong just because they are new to the league. They may be sometimes naive but not always wrong. Some of the people you are talking to are former Dublin City fans and know the league better than you think. All im saying on this is dont just assume they dont know the league.

Did Rovers look like going on a 26 unbeaten run last year? I dont think so.

Anyway as i said im not really disagreeing with you on most of what you say about Bohs. As for what could halt them. Off the top of my head. Shamrock rvs with Twigg and Baker back. Fenlon leaving in the summer, A team we didnt expect making run similar to Rovers last year. These things can happen. But at the end of the day I think it will be Bohs just not as cut and dry as you make out. I think iv said what i think in each of my last posts. I dont know how to make it any clearer so im done.

PS.

you could just lose some of the condescending remarks and stuff where you say peoples opininion are tripe. Leave the digs out and debate the issue.

Let the light in, Hug a bunny or something.

Quit the dramatics , million miles ? :o

Not just Fingal, the other teams in the top 5 have played some decent football as well. Im going on performance in games played so far and not on strength of the squads.
    For you to say that Bohs have the league won after 4 games is a bit premature dont you think ?

CSF, are you a shells fan or a Bohs fan ?You say that you saw Bohs a lot last year, is that why the shells support has gone down of late? has their support decided to go and watch better footy in the premier instead of hoofball at tolka ? You dont half come up with some crackers that gives me a right giggle at the rubbish you come out with :)

Stick to what you know best and thats the first division and let the big boys talk about the Premier Division :D

• Advertisement

CSF, are you a shells fan or a Bohs fan ?You say that you saw Bohs a lot last year, is that why the shells support has gone down of late? has their support decided to go and watch better footy in the premier instead of hoofball at tolka ? You dont half come up with some crackers that gives me a right giggle at the rubbish you come out with :)

Stick to what you know best and thats the first division and let the big boys talk about the Premier Division :D
    Not even giving that a proper response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

same as we thought last season, thought they'd walk buy the 1st, but they came 3rd

Mercenaries there for the $$, not to play or commit to the side

Fixed that!
    bohsman wrote: »
    So who gives out the free tickets to the Fingals games?

Know anyone that works in the Pavillions? Or any youth club?

Also Pineapple spell Shelbourne for us, is it Shellbourne. Sporting Fingalllllllll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Drogs had a great 2nd half against Sligo. First half was dire, second would have been great from a neutral point of view. How Skinner didn't give away 2-3 goals I'll never know. Harris could be injured for Monday and Damien Brennan was named in the subs even though I didn't see him in the ground at all never mind on the bench.

Ryan Brennan (brother of Killian) started his first match and was pure class. Everything going forward went through him. MOTM if you ask me. Anyone else at it?

Not even giving that a proper response.

You never do :D

Fixed that!

Also Pineapple spell Shelbourne for us, is it Shellbourne. Sporting Fingalllllllll[
    /QUOTE]

Nope, its shells :) and didnt shells try and buy their way to the league title a few years ago ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Fixed that!

Also Pineapple spell Shelbourne for us, is it Shellbourne. Sporting Fingalllllllll

How immature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

That youngfella who was stabbed on Friday was in the underage set-up with Shels.

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

That youngfella who was stabbed on Friday was in the underage set-up with Shels.

RIP

:( I didnt know that. RIP young man.

Advertisement