Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What old film/neg format measures 6.5cm X 4cm?

• 02-04-2010 5:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've purchased a Nikon V700 in order to scan some old 35m negs from the family.

There are a lot of non 35mm negs that have me foxed as to the format.

The strips have between 3 and 4 exposures on each and the picture size on the negative is 6.5cm X 4cm. They date from the late 60's/early 70's.

There are no sprocket holes on the edges - it looks like they might have been there originally but were chopped off by the processor.

I checked the Wiki article on film formats and I couldn't find it.

I kind of remember the camera they came from - it was a fairly cheap Kodak from the 1960's and the film wall roll, not cartridge.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

http://www.zeissikonrolleirepair.com/page05.html

Kodak Duo 620 Series II, this is an excellent folding camera for 16 exposures 6cm x 4.5cm, which has a Compur Rapid shutter with speeds B, T, 1-300. Lens will resolve 120 line pairs/mm! These are selling on ebay for 15-20 dollars and can be worked on for 30-45 dollars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

You're sure they're 6.5 x 4cm and not 6x4.5cm? 6x45cm is one of the "normal" formats for 120 film. (6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7, 6x9, 6x11. "six by four-five", "six by six" etc..)

There are probably a lot of strange formats out there. I've got a pile of old 126 negatives, as well as some disc camera negs. Those are a hoot to try and scan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

mike65 wrote: »
    You're the dude Mike.

It's Kodak 645 format on 120 film.

I think there are adaptors available for the V700.

Ah.. so they are 6x4.5cm, and not 6.5x4cm. That makes much more sense. :)
    You're the dude Mike.

It's Kodak 645 format on 120 film.

I think there are adaptors available for the V700.

No worries

• Advertisement

Heebie wrote: »
    Ah.. so they are 6x4.5cm, and not 6.5x4cm. That makes much more sense. :)

Arrgghhh! Back to square one, they are actually 6.5cm X 4cm. I've double-checked.

I'd say they are some variation on the 120 format.

Gimme back that gold-star Mike!

:o

Can you take a picture of them and put them up?

mike65 wrote: »
    :o

Can you take a picture of them and put them up?

They are baby pictures of me...are you f*cking serious?!? lol

Okay! :p

I think he means take a digital photo of one of the negatives.. just so we can all see what sprocket patterns there are, if any, or markings etc.. might be on the film.

It's really 6.5xm by 4cm? That's just bizarre! It could be some weird 126 or 127 based format... or just something totally freakazoid. (freakazoid isn't a bad thing.. just freakazoid) ;)
    They are baby pictures of me...are you f*cking serious?!? lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Assuming that the film itself is actually about 4cm wide, and not 6.5 cm wide, isn't that just normal 127 format ?

-edit- Actually after some googling, 127 seems to come in 4x4, 4x3. and 4x6. No mention of 4x6.5 ...

Advertisement