Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer Plans

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Finish undergraduate college forever(I'm auld for this place)
    Go to a festival(stuck between Rock Im Park, Southside, Pukkelpop, and maybe Lowlands)
    Pearl Jam twice
    could be Deftones gig if gf has her way
    somehow keep a job
    hopefully move up to dublin
    try get some time in Valentia Island

I apologise for my punctuation, or lack thereof, also!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

It's all up in the air for the moment;

I've applied for an internship that if I got accepted to would mean I get to research either Epilepsy, Schizophrenia or Neurodegradation for 10 weeks but since I'm only I first year I'm a tad sceptical as to whether I'll get it. So I've been applying for other jobs in the meantime.

Everything's money dependant at the moment. However should I secure funding I wouldn't mind going away, heading to Electric Picnic and doing some work on the side for college.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Cragulus is that SPUR-ON? Because if it is, we both applied for the exact same projects, lol!

Piste wrote: »
    Cragulus is that SPUR-ON? Because if it is, we both applied for the exact same projects, lol!

It is indeed! I heard there's a bias towards TCD and RCSI applicants since they run the programme. *fingers crossed anyway*

How'd you find the application process? It took me ages to track down referees and letters of recommendation.

I did it pretty quickly, Wrote letters to my LC Chemistry teacher and my JC Maths/Science teacher. I was also asking a biochem lecturer if she had any research projects I could do and she said she didn't but that I was obviously enthusiastic about research so she wrote me a letter of recommendation for it. So I ended up with three LORs, ended up using the Chem teacher and Biochem lecturer as I thought their recommendation would hold more weight than a JC maths teacher, even though his reference was really lovely.

Is it very competitive to get into? I've no idea how many apply, it wasn't very well publicised in my college. Myself and a friend had to google Summer Undergraduate Reasearch before we even found it, even though it's on the RCSI site. Then there was just a small (A4) poster about it on the biosoc notice board. I'm hoping not too many people apply anyway. Do you've any idea what criteria they use?

• Advertisement

I did it pretty quickly, Wrote letters to my LC Chemistry teacher and my JC Maths/Science teacher. I was also asking a biochem lecturer if she had any research projects I could do and she said she didn't but that I was obviously enthusiastic about research so she wrote me a letter of recommendation for it. So I ended up with three LORs, ended up using the Chem teacher and Biochem lecturer as I thought their recommendation would hold more weight than a JC maths teacher, even though his reference was really lovely.

Is it very competitive to get into? I've no idea how many apply, it wasn't very well publicised in my college. Myself and a friend had to google Summer Undergraduate Reasearch before we even found it, even though it's on the RCSI site. Then there was just a small (A4) poster about it on the biosoc notice board. I'm hoping not too many people apply anyway. Do you've any idea what criteria they use?

I had a similar experience, wanted a placement for the summer so asked around looking for work within a biology or chemistry lab in TCD. Searched the TCD forum since it's mainly science types and it came up that way from an old thread. So in other words, it was a complete fluke.

Took me ages to apply since I had to earn a letter of recommendation by doing a case study. However because it was to a high standard the developmental zoologist said she'd be happy to write me a glowing one. I did the young scientist back in 4th year with a biosensors & and science publication company where I was a research assistant to a theoretical physicist I helped him manufacture and research a Hep C sensor. I got in touch with him and he happily wrote me the second letter. Got two more scientists to be referee's on my CV too.

As regards criteria, I haven't a clue. Of all the projects running it's probably the vaguest since it's based in "research enthusiasm" rather than anything else. Numbers applying seem low though since only people who are interested seek it out but I hear provided you attend one of the institutes running the programme there's a visable bias. Helpful since it's RCSI & TCIN.

Eep your application sounds really good. I'm kicking myself for having never done the Young Scientist. I could jsut never come up with a good idea. I did work experience in a Lab in Trinity, but that was in TY so I doubt anyone there would remember my name so I never used them as referees. I hope I sounded enthusiastic enough anyway. You're doing Neuroscience, aren't you?

Eep your application sounds really good. I'm kicking myself for having never done the Young Scientist. I could jsut never come up with a good idea. I did work experience in a Lab in Trinity, but that was in TY so I doubt anyone there would remember my name so I never used them as referees. I hope I sounded enthusiastic enough anyway. You're doing Neuroscience, aren't you?

Young scientist was a frustrating but formative experience. 9 hours of research and report writing were not uncommon. :( However it still helps me out now and again. I was also exceptionally lucky to get to do the project with a research scientist.

Aspiring to, unfortunately there's no direct entry like UCD so you have to do 2 years general science first which can be an awful pain sometimes. At least I can say goodbye to geology and plant biology next year.

Well if you get this it'll probably help you to get into Neuroscience at least! I know they said they'd let us know in April...any idea when?

Well if you get this it'll probably help you to get into Neuroscience at least! I know they said they'd let us know in April...any idea when?

That's the plan! I'm also just hoping applying this year will make next year look good as well. I'm guessing mid April to be honest. They seem to give non Dublin applicants the time to arrange accommodation anyway.

• Advertisement

Were you told about the Galway EUREKA project thing? It looks pretty good, but it's for people with previous research so I might do it next year. I'd love a Summer in Galway!

Were you told about the Galway EUREKA project thing? It looks pretty good, but it's for people with previous research so I might do it next year. I'd love a Summer in Galway!

I only saw it after the deadline, it looks like so much fun. (Well about as much fun as infectious disease projects get.) I hadn't looked at any other sites because I didn't know they arranged accommodation for you. Although I hear free Corrib village has mold.... everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

Ah it's not that bad. It depends on which apartment, I guess. The apartments are like prison cells to start, but anything like mould and that are mostly due to the way the students treat them!

Corrib Village is pretty rank, we stayed there once as a family when my dad was at a conference in NUIG. The pay isn't great, per hour it works out at 8 euro which is less than minimum wage, and I don't think it includes accomodation. They do organise trips and stuff though which would be nice. I might do it next year. They provide up to 300 euro in travel expenses so maybe I could pop home the odd weekend too.

I'm really regretting doing so badly in my semester 1 exams. I can see it being a real setback for getting research work =/

Corrib Village is pretty rank, we stayed there once as a family when my dad was at a conference in NUIG. The pay isn't great, per hour it works out at 8 euro which is less than minimum wage, and I don't think it includes accomodation. They do organise trips and stuff though which would be nice. I might do it next year. They provide up to 300 euro in travel expenses so maybe I could pop home the odd weekend too.

I'm really regretting doing so badly in my semester 1 exams. I can see it being a real setback for getting research work =/

Apparently as a perk they pay for all your food in the labs too! You are a med student though so they can probably appreciate that background. I'm more annoyed that I was only given all my lab work results (and by extension class standing) now, I've also so much to cram now, alas it's my own fault! Next year I'll be good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

syncosised wrote: »
    Ah it's not that bad. It depends on which apartment, I guess. The apartments are like prison cells to start, but anything like mould and that are mostly due to the way the students treat them!

As you say it's mostly the students who are at fault (can't believe I'm defending CV!) for not opening windows enough.

I'd say Corrib is grand for a summer stay since, I presume, reception wouldn't be as willing to swindle you out of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

I plan on goin to the Leeds Festival and not having any repeat exams and hopefully find a job

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Lollygag, lounge, mooch, dawdle, relax, faff, go insane with boredom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

I've applied to do a research project for the summer, but loads of people applied and I'm probably not going to get it.
    So I'll more than likely do what I did last summer: sweet fcuk all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭red herring

working as a sailing instructor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Get a different job. Hate the one I have, but I suppose I am lucky to have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

I'm been planning this for months.

-Do the Leaving Cert. Hopefully ace it this time.
    -Spend the rest of June in bed with my laptop.
    -Emerge and become social in July. My two bestest friends turn 18 on the same day, so that'll be fun, even though they're not having parties and don't know each other. I just <3 peoples' birthdays!
    -Spend time with my friends, teaching them French and looking at stars.
    -Get more music.
    -Write the start of my novel, at least. Write poetry and things too, have to try to get back into the swing of that.
    -Read lots more.
    -Turn 18 in August. Become a hermit for the week or so before results, get results, hopefully do well and get a good offer. Have no idea what I'll do if I don't. :/
    -Try to get fit, baha.
    -Try to learn some basic conversational Spanish.
    -Prepare myself mentally for college and stuff. Sleep a lot. Be bored generally. Lose my soul to the Internet.

Basically, s'gonna be good. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Doing the Leaving Cert at the start of June (fingers crossed) :eek:
    On the 28th i'm going to Spain with some friends
    Sometime in July i'm going to New York with my two besties
    Trying to get a job
    Going to Kilkenny with around 20 friends for a weekend and renting a house
    Cousins over from New York
    Tons of 18th's
    Going out and about (beach, Tramore etc)
    Relaxing and trying to forget about LC results
    Results
    CAO figures - hopefully what I want to hear
    Debs :)
    Hoping it's going to be a great summer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭FredBaby!

Oh man. I've been thinking about this summer since, well, September.
    Straight after the Leaving I'm going to Canada for two weeks :D. When I come back I will (hopefully) be starting a job. Debs. Worry about the results/if I'll get into my course. At the end of August I'll make my annual visit to see my old friends. ;)
    Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭seriousfizz

Doing the Leaving Cert at the start of June (fingers crossed) :eek:
    On the 28th i'm going to Spain with some friends
    Sometime in July i'm going to New York with my two besties
    Trying to get a job
    Going to Kilkenny with around 20 friends for a weekend and renting a house
    Cousins over from New York
    Tons of 18th's
    Going out and about (beach, Tramore etc)
    Relaxing and trying to forget about LC results
    Results
    CAO figures - hopefully what I want to hear
    Debs :)
    Hoping it's going to be a great summer :D

:cool: Kilkenny is awesome! Sounds like a great summer for ya!

After the Leaving Cert I'll spend the rest of summer chilling out/having the craic however I can and practicing lots and lots and playing as many gigs as possible with my band and savouring every bloody moment of it :D Haven't gigged since November last and it's killing me! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

I was hoping to go to a festival this summer like EP, but when the list was announced I was really bummed there wasn't at least one big act like The Flaming Lips, and I was sorting hoping that the Super Furry Animals might come again. I think I'll hold back on paying 250 smackers until such time as that happens, it'll make the little acts even better.

I'm thinking about improving my French over the summer, I'm hoping to get Erasmus in France in 3rd year, so I figure I'll get started early! (This is probably the summer plan least likely to come to fruition)

Get better at guitar, maybe paint it too, I'm kind of bored with sparkly blue. Might do some recording with a friend, definately making some more music over the summer regardless.

Do some drawing/painting/whatever takes me fancy. Also Red Dead Redemption comes out sometime this year, it'll be the first game I've bought in about 3 years. Like every summer for the last four years I'll do a ton of reading, looking forward to that.

I also plan on giving up my life of hermitude in favour of meeting other humans.

That's really it. I hope it's sunny more than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Only have 2 things planned so far, both for opposite ends of the summer.
    I'm going away with my BF in June to Gran Canaria for a week.
    Then on the 31st August, I'm going to Blink.
    Other than that, I suppose I'll have to try find a job, becaus I highly doubt my last grand cheque is going to last me until probably November when I get my next one.

Planning on catching up with my friends loads that I haven't seen much this year, college, one's repeating that kinda stuff, so plenty of nights out are in order.
    Also might be going to Glasgow in May to see Owl City, but that's not definite yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

:cool: Kilkenny is awesome! Sounds like a great summer for ya!

After the Leaving Cert I'll spend the rest of summer chilling out/having the craic however I can and practicing lots and lots and playing as many gigs as possible with my band and savouring every bloody moment of it :D Haven't gigged since November last and it's killing me! :(

Thanks, yeah I just hope it happens now! Everyone wanted to go away together but it got a bit too complicated so we decided instead of 20 of us going to Spain we'd go Kilkenny instead (well in my case aswel as Spain :))
    Just think only 3 months and you'll be playing gigs again, that'll fly by.
    Although i'm not sure if i really want it to fly by tbh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

There's not much I want to do this summer really.

Do the Leaving; get into college blah blah blah...
    Get my guitar fixed. (It only has 2 strings :()
    Play guitar for a minimum of 2 hours everyday.
    Get a job.
    Go geocaching.
    Walking.
    Play lots and lots of sport.
    Listen to every classic album fully. (Badly worded but meh!)
    I would put sleep but I am definitely gonna do that. :p
    Start that band my friend wanted to start.
    Go out / socialize etc...

I'll add to it when I think of other things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Oh, and I want to get better at the mandolin

Advertisement