Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance in Dads name

2»

Comments

vectra wrote: »
    I never intended to give the illusion that is OK to insure a car in anyone elses name and be the main driver afterwards. Or did I ?
    I dont recall saying it was ok to Lie and falseify documents

Mainly you.
    For your information.
    I did ring the insurance company and stated my case prior to insuring a second car.
    I was 100% up front with them and used word to the effect of:
    {ME}
    "I intend buying a second car to keep the mileage down on my current one as I will be changing it this year under the disabled drivers scheme, I also intened to use this second car to teach my son (18) to drive as it is a cheap and cheerful car, Will this be a problem?"

{Operator}
    That is no problem.

{ME}

I will not need to modify this car as I have my current car modified to suit my disability and will only be using this on a Temp basis until I change.

{Operator}

Yes, That is ok, Would you like me to quote you now?

{ME}
    Yes, Sure.
    Answered all questions honestly.

Quote accepted and Policy paid for.

Where am I supposed to be Wrong Mr' Rover.:confused:

But then again,
    You are of one of three professions.

1) Insurance Agent

2) Solicitor

3) Internet Expert.

Personally I think option 3 hits the nail on the head.
    Maybe you could enlighten us on your expertise on Assessing my honesty ? ( Or Lack of as you are insinuating)
    Compare all of this to post number 9 in this thread, the smell of bull is overpowering. regarding the guessing of occupations i would guess you are a retired garda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,592 ✭✭✭✭vectra

RoverJames wrote: »
    Regarding the pics, i mentioned to mods last night that i had no issue with them editing my post to remove them if they thought it necessary, there is no way i was going to after the tone of your post, .

As it happens I already had 2 cars stolen from outside my door.
    I posted these pics several months ago and have had no problems.
    If my car ( civic ) gets stolen over the next couple of days do I hold you responsible or the moderator that allowed you to "Advertise" my car to prospective Car Thieves?
    I am again asking yuou very politely to remove the pics you are showing of my car in your thread.
    This will be the last time I will ask you.
    PeakOutput wrote: »
    you own both cars you havnt done anything wrong i dont know why people are giving out about you but what you did is not the same as what the op asked about so maybe thats why they have an issue

you can own and insure as many cars as you like

you can own and insure as many cars as you like and have other people driving them as long as you tell the insurance company

the point is you HAVE to own the car to get insured on it this thread is ridicolous now the op has been answered pages ago and you guys are bickering for no apparent reason

Quite obvious who is bitching.
    Look below :rolleyes:
    Compare all of this to post number 9 in this thread, the smell of bull is overpowering. regarding the guessing of occupations i would guess you are a retired garda.

You could be right.
    Maybe even a step up from a Retired Garda. maybe Not even a Garda.
    It was I who asked what professional experience in the insurance field?
    I am only stating my own situation regarding insuring 2 cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

vectra, if you are that concerned about the pictures of your car that YOU POSTED on boards, remove them from the hosting site.
    This bickering is getting tiresome. Just leave it out at this stage, all it's ended up doing is derailing this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

so yeah, nobody answered my first post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

weeder wrote: »
    so yeah, nobody answered my first post.

The succeeding post did.

i'd like to apologise for my contribution in derailing the thread, my aim was to prevent the op potentially trying to get insurance fraudulently. Regarding the quote of your pics, reported a post last night and detailed that i have no problem with the post being edited if it is against any rules or if folks deem it the correct thing to do, i myself have no intention of editing the post.

vectra, if you are that concerned about the pictures of your car that YOU POSTED on boards, remove them from the hosting site.
    This bickering is getting tiresome. Just leave it out at this stage, all it's ended up doing is derailing this thread.

I have deleted them from the source but for some reason 2 of them are still showing.
    And as a matter of interest.
    What has it got to do with oyu?
    I posted those images originally.. I did not ask anyone else to put them on display 3 months later.
    I have asked politely to have them removed but A certain UCD student is just being a Smartar$e,

I agree the bickering is tiresome.
    I offered my opinion based on my own experience but the internet Expert jumped on my post as though I was a blatant liar.
    I rightfully defended my post.
    You are looking at the wrong person to blame for the bickering my friend ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭weeder

The succeeding post did.

page 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

page 2

Sorry,assumed you were OP.

In that case, I don't know :P

• Advertisement

if the car is stolen i would reckon ringing the gardai and your insurance company would be the best course of action, trying to hold me or boards.ie mods responsible is laughable to be honest, as said if you have a problem with the pics just remove them from the hosting site, twas you who put them up on boards not me or mods. Anyway you posted a few hours ago that you had removed them followed with a wink !

thats us law though id say,

When i had my car I had it in my dad's name and i was named on his policy. If i crashed it and the insurance company had to pay out,how could they prove who did what milage in it and who uses it the most?

Nobody could to be honest.
    Unless the Insurance company took the time to scour through all forums in the hope of finding incriminating evidence as one poster implied here.:rolleyes:

As long as the main driver would do at least ONE mile per week more than you then that makes you a Temp driver.

After all.
    That is what the policy covers isnt it?

if the car is stolen i would reckon ringing the gardai and your insurance company would be the best course of action, trying to hold me or boards.ie mods responsible is laughable to be honest, as said if you have a problem with the pics just remove them from the hosting site, twas you who put them up on boards not me or mods. Anyway you posted a few hours ago that you had removed them followed with a wink !

Yes,
    I did post the 3 months ago with no issues.
    Whats stopping a Prospective Thief looking in here today and spotting what YOU posted.,
    I have already had 2 cars stolen, I certainly do not want another.
    I have repeatedly asked you to remove them
    At this point you are only being Ignorant and silly about it.
    I have removed them several hours ago from the original host.
    This is why I dont understand why they are still showing.
    Now
    I did if you look through my requests Ask you Politely.
    I dont see where you are getting this major stand off attitude by refusing.

wherever they are hosted just put them in a different folder so the address is different, to be honest i would have edited them if you were polite initially, the ucd remark didnt help either.

wherever they are hosted just put them in a different folder so the address is different, to be honest i would have edited them if you were polite initially, the ucd remark didnt help either.

Those pics were hosted on pix.ie
    I have deleted the folder and pics yet they still show up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I have deleted them from the source but for some reason 2 of them are still showing.
    And as a matter of interest.
    What has it got to do with oyu?
    I'm a moderator of this forum and it is being discussed off topic in this thread.
    I posted those images originally.. I did not ask anyone else to put them on display 3 months later.

Once you post it on boards it's fair game for people to quote.
    I agree the bickering is tiresome.
    I offered my opinion based on my own experience but the internet Expert jumped on my post as though I was a blatant liar.
    I rightfully defended my post.
    You are looking at the wrong person to blame for the bickering my friend ;)

My post wasn't directed solely at you, it was intended to be directed at both of you since it takes two.

All this ends now or people get banned.

• Advertisement

Once you post it on boards it's fair game for people to quote.

Fair enough.
    But I have deleted them from source and am requesting they be taken down from Boards.ie for safety purposes.
    Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,472 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

so to sum up:

The policy holder must be owner or spouse in the general case.
    Any named drivers must not be the main driver (unless specifically telling the insurers this)
    It is wrong for a young person to obtain cheaper cover in parents name for being occasional driver when the intention is to have majority use of the car.

If you go the named driver route while being ecomonical with the truth, there is a strong possibility that insurers will refuse claims.

mickdw wrote: »
    so to sum up:

The policy holder must be owner or spouse in the general case.
    Any named drivers must not be the main driver (unless specifically telling the insurers this)
    It is wrong for a young person to obtain cheaper cover in parents name for being occasional driver when the intention is to have majority use of the car.

If you go the named driver route while being ecomonical with the truth, there is a strong possibility that insurers will refuse claims.

100% Correct

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

Cant believe this argument is still ongoing.

@Vectra. I've given this a quick read and what your doing seems fine. However, generally speaking, the people you talk to at the other end of the phone when dealing with insurance companies tend to unfamiliar with the actually law behind insurance. You quoted them yourself as operators! Some are very good and know what they are talking about but I'd rather get written confirmation from the underwriters.

Back to the ops question. Anything other than Irish law on insurable interest is absolutely irrelevant. Irish law provides for insurable interest and in terms of Irish law, their is specific insurance law to deal with this area... obviously. The Road traffic Act has little or nothing to do with this. This thread is full in incorrect information!

Insurable Interest:

Insurable interest exists where the insured stands in a legal relationship to the property or otherwise stands to suffer a financial loss as a result of its destruction.

I'll credit the above to one of my lecturers.

In addition there has been an Irish case whereby a father insured a vehicle in his name, only for the insurers to find out the son was the real owner.

O'Leary V The Irish National Ins Co.

The father loaned the car to his son who had an accident causing shock to a pregnant women leading to the death of the foetus. Stephen Murphy, the father, had insured the car in his own name with Andrew, his son, as a named driver. The insurance company provided evidence that showed Andrew actually owned car. Therefore the father, Stepehn Murphy had no insurable interest.The result was that the court ruled that the insurance policy was null and void from the date the policy was incepted (i.e. when the policy started). There was no payout on the policy.

Questions like this come up time and time again and I think its time a sticky was put together on general motor insurance questions and the principles of insurance. Generally, people dont understand how insurance works. This is what I've experienced on both my college placement, reading car forums and forums like this as well as on a daily basis.

In addition, insurers are clamping down on payouts across the board and yes premiums will go up in the coming months, despite the economic downturn. It's completely different to other services for reasons I'm not getting into.

Anyway back on topic, OP as per what I and others have said, take out your own policy.

Yes,
    I did post the 3 months ago with no issues.
    Whats stopping a Prospective Thief looking in here today and spotting what YOU posted.,
    I have already had 2 cars stolen, I certainly do not want another.
    I have repeatedly asked you to remove them
    At this point you are only being Ignorant and silly about it.
    I have removed them several hours ago from the original host.
    This is why I dont understand why they are still showing.
    Now
    I did if you look through my requests Ask you Politely.
    I dont see where you are getting this major stand off attitude by refusing.
    Fair enough.
    But I have deleted them from source and am requesting they be taken down from Boards.ie for safety purposes.
    Thank you.

Given that you have encountered technical difficulties with the pics hosting situation or whatever I have edited my post :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

My aunt who lives abroad does this. I cant see how its illegal because she is fully insured as a named driver. The car is hardly ever used apart from the 6 weeks or so that shes here.

Given that you have encountered technical difficulties with the pics hosting situation or whatever I have edited my post :)

I appreciate that.
    Thanks and no harm done :cool:

Advertisement