Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enniscrone

Options
  • 02-04-2010 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭

Hi.:D
    I'm heading up to Enniscrone for a weekend in the summer, probably June.
    Is there much to do there during the summer?
    Ages are between 16 and 18.
    Pubs and clubs are our main interest.:P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭Dark_by_Dezign

funktion nightclub decent club

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Lots of surfing to be done there, check out their surf school they will be doing courses for people your age. There is also a waterworld with waterslides and sauna etc it's great craic :p There is a little cafe in the centre of the town called ma gumbals / gumbas (sp?) They do the most epic fry's you will ever taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Truley wrote: »
    Lots of surfing to be done there, check out their surf school they will be doing courses for people your age. There is also a waterworld with waterslides and sauna etc it's great craic :p There is a little cafe in the centre of the town called ma gumbals / gumbas (sp?) They do the most epic fry's you will ever taste.

Chipper/fry recommendations are definately welcome too.:D
    What pubs would be best for having the craic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Word of warning, just in case you're planning on staying in the camp-site!

A couple of my friends and I stayed there maybe two summers ago. We booked it a couple of days in advance. We turned up there - two guys and two girls, early twenties, all fairly respectable looking! But when I went to book in, the man there tried to turn us away, based entirely on the fact that my boyfriend was driving a Honda Civic at the time (and a very nice one - not even a boy racer type!)

In the end he let us stay, but was extremely rude about it, and warned us that he'd be keeping a very close eye on us and kicking us out at the first sign of trouble, without returning our money (which of course he made us pay in advance.) When we were being made so unwelcome, we would have much preferred to go somewhere else, but it was late in the evening on a hot August weekend, we were too far away from any other camp-sites and anyways there'd have been no guarantee of getting a spot there.

So we stayed there, went out for a few, caused no trouble whatsoever when we came back ... the next morning, I went in and made it perfectly clear to the guy working there (I think he was the owner) how disgusted we were with the way we'd been treated. And actually, he gave me my money back, which I hadn't expected. The whole experience would still put me off ever staying there again though.

Word of warning, just in case you're planning on staying in the camp-site!

A couple of my friends and I stayed there maybe two summers ago. We booked it a couple of days in advance. We turned up there - two guys and two girls, early twenties, all fairly respectable looking! But when I went to book in, the man there tried to turn us away, based entirely on the fact that my boyfriend was driving a Honda Civic at the time (and a very nice one - not even a boy racer type!)

In the end he let us stay, but was extremely rude about it, and warned us that he'd be keeping a very close eye on us and kicking us out at the first sign of trouble, without returning our money (which of course he made us pay in advance.) When we were being made so unwelcome, we would have much preferred to go somewhere else, but it was late in the evening on a hot August weekend, we were too far away from any other camp-sites and anyways there'd have been no guarantee of getting a spot there.

So we stayed there, went out for a few, caused no trouble whatsoever when we came back ... the next morning, I went in and made it perfectly clear to the guy working there (I think he was the owner) how disgusted we were with the way we'd been treated. And actually, he gave me my money back, which I hadn't expected. The whole experience would still put me off ever staying there again though.

Thanks for the warning, but one of the lad's parents own a mobile home in the camp-site.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

baz2009 wrote: »
    Chipper/fry recommendations are definately welcome too.:D
    What pubs would be best for having the craic?

It's a small town go for a walk through it on the night and see what looks good, everyone has there own idea of what a good pub/club is. The best places are the surprising ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭corryworry

Funktion is a good night club Its part of the Porter House Bar. Its under new management at the moment and the only way to know if it will be open on certain weekends is to join the facebook page, I'd say once the summer season starts it will be open every weekend but at the moment it's open and closed randomly!:(
    2 Lovely chippers, Burger Alley has gorgeous homemade burgers and the fish and chip place has nice fresh chips. Also Gilroys pub do a lovely take away pizza, If you venture as far as Easkey, the chipper there has lovely pizzas and kebabs :)
    Give all the pubs a try- The Porter House, Gilroys, the Pilot Bar and CPs are prob your best bet.
    There is a pitch and putt, an amusement arcade, swimming pool and of course the fabulous beach:D
    Have a good time!

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Eddie Ere

Being from Enniscrone myself I can see the beach as no doubt entertaining you, Gilroys is the best spot for beer and food, Funktion is a bit of a dive so venturing into Ballina to Longnecks Nightclub would be worth a shot (10 min drive), and yes Magumbhas (beside Gilroys) do do an epic fry for the morning after!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭liam12989

If the weather is good you will have a good time. Enniscrone is a bit like summerbay when weathers good. the pilot is good spot for a few pints outside. they should be few around alot of tourists will be staying at home this summer so expect Enniscrone to be busy

Thanks again for all the replies.:)
    Is there a bookies in the area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭corryworry

No bookies in Enniscrone but Ballina isn't to far and theres a couple there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

corryworry wrote: »
    No bookies in Enniscrone but Ballina isn't to far and theres a couple there

you can get a bet on in both Gilroys and Ropers. The best bar food in town is Pilot, Ropers is a good pint, Blue Water Cafe does a decent fry up as does magumbas, The Indian bombaby Tandoori does an excellent curry nearly on a par with indian restaurants in the north of england or birmingham - praise indeed. For the best pint in Sligo head up the road towards Easkey and go to the Harbour bar in pullaheeney - its worth it to meet Gerry Brown the owner a bar in a fantastic location and really beautiful pint.

Sorry for bringing up this again.:o

What'd be the best pub for watching a match?
    And would any of the pubs have good, late sessions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

baz2009 wrote: »
    Sorry for bringing up this again.:o

What'd be the best pub for watching a match?
    QUOTE]

Ropers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Phil92

Going to Enniscrone myself, same situation as the OP. Just wondering if you could do proper food shopping for about ten people in Enniscrone or would you have to go to the Tesco's in Ballina

• Registered Users Posts: 25 enniscrone

Phil92 wrote: »
    Going to Enniscrone myself, same situation as the OP. Just wondering if you could do proper food shopping for about ten people in Enniscrone or would you have to go to the Tesco's in Ballina

Hi Phil,

I think that you will find everything you need right here in Enniscrone. The Centra Shop at the petrol station has a good selection and the Gala shop across from the church has lots of bits and piece. Also make sure you call into Igos Butchers for all your fresh meat. I am always a big supporter of local businesses.

enniscrone.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭I Need The Sun

Sounds like you'd benefit from a seaweed bath after all the drinking , gambling and eating. I believe most churches are open for worship of a Sunday morning .

Advertisement