Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you know what weight your trigger breaks at?

Options
  • 02-04-2010 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

I've never known. Lighter is better for me.

But what weight? I got caught suffering from tunnel vision thinking about it, looking at gadgets to measure it properly.

Then, elsewhere, someone thought outside of the box. And it hit me like a slap in the face.

Weight an empty container on a kitchen scales. Make sure your gun is unloaded and safe, then cock it (empty). Hang said container off the trigger. Slowly fill it with water until the trigger breaks.

Weigh again.

Why did I never think of that :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

ISSF folks have two main ways for this, an actual instrument:
    540_543.jpg
    A bit expensive (~€150 or so depending on where you get one, but cheap enough for a piece of club equipment.

And the actual test weight used at every ISSF pistol match:
    545.jpg
    (the weights can be taken off the rod in varying stages to test for various trigger weights - if you can pick up the weight using the trigger, you pass and can go shoot).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

the set triggers on my sako and tikka break at @ 7ozs .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

johngalway wrote: »

But what weight? I got caught suffering from tunnel vision thinking about it, looking at gadgets to measure it properly.

Then, elsewhere, someone thought outside of the box. And it hit me like a slap in the face.

Weight an empty container on a kitchen scales. Make sure your gun is unloaded and safe, then cock it (empty). Hang said container off the trigger. Slowly fill it with water until the trigger breaks.

Weigh again.

i think the trigger on my tikka is @ 1.5 lbs because i have opened up the adjusting screw to the max and according to the factory they are adjustable from 1.5-4 lbs ,
    i never weighed it so i'm not 100% sure. doesnt matter as i'm happy with it now nice crisp release no creep just the way i like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

jwshooter wrote: »
    the set triggers on my sako and tikka break at @ 7ozs .

that is very low, i'd say they go off a treat . have you bump tested them. and how did you measure the weight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭endasmail

john lambert set mine at 2 lbs
    he used one of them hand held devices that had a digital reading on it
    handy thng alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

johngalway wrote: »

Weigh again.

Fishing scales are damn handy too, just put the hook on the trigger and keep yer eyes on the guage till she breaks and take account. Do it a few times with a dead round inside to save the pin and should be pretty accurately the same each time;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    that is very low, i'd say they go off a treat . have you bump tested them. and how did you measure the weight
    Not that low really. My target rifle trigger is set at 60gr.

Just a shade over 2ozs in old money :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

I got this one for €23.00

triggerpullgauge002.jpgtriggerpullgauge003.jpg

poulo6.5 wrote: »

tested them , there lovely to shoot .

when i set my trigger my finger always stays behind the trigger untill im ready to take the shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

2 tins of beans on a shoe string looped over the trigger is about 2lbs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

.22lr Target - 4ozs
    .308 target - 1lb
    .223 Foxer - 2.25lb
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

Sparks wrote: »
    And the actual test weight used at every ISSF pistol match:
    545.jpg
    (the weights can be taken off the rod in varying stages to test for various trigger weights - if you can pick up the weight using the trigger, you pass and can go shoot).

Can't see too many Free Pistols getting past that weight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭sharky0922

marlin vs wrote: »
    I got this one for €23.00
    where did you got that if may ask?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

sharky0922 wrote: »
    where did you got that if may ask?
    I bought 3 of them from Cabellas,so saved on the shipping they worked out at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

jwshooter wrote: »
    tested them , there lovely to shoot .

when i set my trigger my finger always stays behind the trigger untill im ready to take the shot.

JW were the set triggers aftermarket ones or are they factory fitted? I've been toying withthe idea of getting a set trigger fitted to my Sako 75

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I'm sure an accurate spring balance would do the trick, one of the ones with a sticking max setting so you don't need to read it as you pull.

Jonty wrote: »
    JW were the set triggers aftermarket ones or are they factory fitted? I've been toying withthe idea of getting a set trigger fitted to my Sako 75

they were swapped from other rifles . simple job to change them .

or they have to sent back to the factory as sako dont sell triggers after market.
    i have used set for years not and set it unknown to myself

Advertisement