Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Vs Chelsea saturday 03Apr10 KO 12:45PM (MOD NOTE - POST #549)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

deisedevil wrote: »
    Exactly. He was of the opinion that we could have got something from the game had the decisions gone our way at the right time. You don't know that it wouldn't either so why are you giving him such a hard time of it.

Never said that anything was guaranteed . .

Do you think the game being 1-1 would of been better for united or chelski ?

Do you think it was better for united that they didnt get that peno at a time they were being overrun?

Everything that preceded the peno incident would of been irrelevant . . United may not of drawn the game, but going 1-1 (based on uniteds season performances) has always been a positive thing for this united team and always meant an improvement . .

You can talk about butterfly effect or whatever, but I prefer to stick to what I know about united and more often then not they improve . .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

He has a habit of doing that, its his inconsistency that would annoy anybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

deisedevil wrote: »
    Exactly. He was of the opinion that we could have got something from the game had the decisions gone our way at the right time. You don't know that it wouldn't either so why are you giving him such a hard time of it.

Because neither of us know, whereas he seems to be pretty sure it lost United the game based on previous results this season, against other teams.

Basically, I don't know what would have happened if it had gone 1-1, so I'm not really giving my opinion, just saying who knows.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Thought Berbatov struggled big time today. Never got going.

True. The bit of skill at the start of the match was class though. Big chance for him at the end as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Johner wrote: »
    True. The bit of skill at the start of the match was class though. Big chance for him at the end as well.
    Yes reminds me a bit of the Ibrahimovich situation. Was a time last month where nothing was going in for Ibra but he seems to have gone over his bad patch. Pressure will be on Berba now though to deliver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

He was isolated and living off scraps, which he is very unsuited for. The problem was the midfield, not Berbatov. That should be plain to see for anyone with eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

K-9 wrote: »
    Because neither of us know, whereas he seems to be pretty sure it lost United the game based on previous results this season, against other teams.

Basically, I don't know what would have happened if it had gone 1-1, so I'm not really giving my opinion, just saying who knows.

Do you think it was better for united that they werent given a peno to make it 1-1 ? Who do you think benefited from that decision the most ?

From uniteds performances and results and from my knowledge of how they respond to equalizing all season, I felt that they would certainly of been in a better position mentally and physically, to get something from the game . . How this would effect chelski's fragile confidence is also questionable as they already fell to pieces against Inter when it was put up to them . .

All ifs, buts and maybes, but I am not stating that my opinions are absolute , they are based on how united normally respond to these situations (and have usually done so in the past 3 years) . Your opinion is simply that mine might be wrong . . Fair enough, but it doesn't change the fact that the momentum of the game and the decisions that happened, favored chelski anyway you look at it . .

And yes, had roles been reversed , we would be listening to how refs always favour united etc etc etc . . . The saying "decisions even themselves out over a season" dont apply to united , we only ever get decisions our way, didn't you know that . . .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

what about that for a goal from Joe Cole, jaysus twas class.
    Drogs was a mile offside, Henry would have been proud of Macheda with that bundle into the net, the ref was consistant in his not giving penalties for either side, and im delighted with that result.
    good days Chelsea.

Pro. F wrote: »
    He was isolated and living off scraps, which he is very unsuited for. The problem was the midfield, not Berbatov. That should be plain to see for anyone with eyes.
    Would Rooney have put those chances away today. Probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Drumpot wrote: »
    Do you think it was better for united that they werent given a peno to make it 1-1 ? Who do you think benefited from that decision the most ?

From uniteds performances and results and from my knowledge of how they respond to equalizing all season, I felt that they would certainly of been in a better position mentally and physically, to get something from the game . . How this would effect chelski's fragile confidence is also questionable as they already fell to pieces against Inter when it was put up to them . .

All ifs, buts and maybes, but I am not stating that my opinions are absolute , they are based on how united normally respond to these situations (and have usually done so in the past 3 years) . Your opinion is simply that mine might be wrong . . Fair enough, but it doesn't change the fact that the momentum of the game and the decisions that happened, favored chelski anyway you look at it . .

And yes, had roles been reversed , we would be listening to how refs always favour united etc etc etc . . . The saying "decisions even themselves out over a season" dont apply to united , we only ever get decisions our way, didn't you know that . . .

Yes, except for the decisions part at the end. Don't care about that!

Put it this way, if the penalty had been granted, we'd be arguing about some other ref f*ck up and going round in circles about that. That much is guaranteed! ;)

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Would Rooney have put those chances away today. Probably.

Fair point, you have to expect Rooney to be more likely to score. But his great goal threat has not been enough to make up for our mis-firing midfield on plenty of occasions already this season. And so what if Berbatov isn't as good as Rooney, he's still good enough - and played well enough today - to win this type of game IF he has the support of a functioning midfield. He didn't have that so he shouldn't be blamed for the result, not even slightly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

oof, no1 likes to lose to an offside goal :s
    at least it makes the title race very interesting now. think chelsea were superb today in the job they did, though thats a lot to do with Utd being very sloppy and unfocussed. some very bad decision making at times

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

if ryu was playing, he'd definitely have scored for utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Well done Chelsea. Played united off the park in the first half. United the better team in the second half. United picked up where they left off in Munich.

Chelsea won't be stopped now i'm afraid to say. They may drop some points but I feel for sure they won't drop more than United or Arsenal.

What a depressing week as a United supporter. Not alone the two defeats, but the manner of the performances is totally depressing.

I really hope they can pick it up on Wednesday but wouldn't be over confident. If they get knocked out on Wednesday they may even struggle to hold on to second place in the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

SlickRic wrote: »
    he's just not the type of player who can do it with no support.

today was not to do with him, it was the shoddiness of Utd's creative force in midfield.

Correct as usual.

I predicted a swathe of morons bullsh*tting on about how United can't play without Rooney. Sad to see that not only was I right, I wasn't far off in my private predictions as to their identities.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Correct as usual.

I predicted a swathe of morons bullsh*tting on about how United can't play without Rooney. Sad to see that not only was I right, I wasn't far off in my private predictions as to their identities.

the people deserve to know who these morans are!
    or not, we can make educated guesses id imagine,

whohoo chelsea!

Correct as usual.

Was only mentioned that Rooney in his current form might have converted those chances today. Not an indictment on Berb merely that Rooney was missed in todays game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,044 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Well i think today proved what everyone thinks, that utd are a one man team, their 30 million replacement is a flop, they have a midfielder who should be sent off nearly every game, only for the old, oh that's scholsey he cant tackle lets have a chuckle about it, vidic a class defender but does he want to be there, the subs that came on today for both sides was the big difference today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Was only mentioned that Rooney in his current form might have converted those chances today. Not an indictment on Berb merely that Rooney was missed in todays game.

that wasn't all you said...;)

you were criticising Berba, not lamenting Rooney's loss.

Berba was fine; he did most of what could be asked of him given his style of play. Berba needs support playing off him to get the best out of him.

his waist high chance was tough, and he had a chance 1st half which he should've hit quicker. that was it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

niallo, i disagree with nearly every point in your post, but it made me laugh, so thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

niallo27 wrote: »
    Well i think today proved what everyone thinks, that utd are a one man team, their 30 million replacement is a flop,

What utter rubbish, one game does not prove they are a one man team. Rooney played against Bayern and they played rubbish.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    niallo, i disagree with nearly every point in your post, but it made me laugh, so thanks.

Really even the scholes point or the subs they both had to choose from, or even about berbatov

Well i think today proved what everyone thinks, that utd are a one man team, their 30 million replacement is a flop, they have a midfielder who should be sent off nearly every game, only for the old, oh that's scholsey he cant tackle lets have a chuckle about it, vidic a class defender but does he want to be there, the subs that came on today for both sides was the big difference today

i laughed.

i've quoted it again, just to continue tempting someone to foolishly bite ;)

that wasn't all you said...;)

you were criticising Berba, not lamenting Rooney's loss.

Berba was fine; he did most of what could be asked of him given his style of play. Berba needs support playing off him to get the best out of him.

his waist high chance was tough, and he had a chance 1st half which he should've hit quicker. that was it.
    Ill say it again. Rooney would probably have put those chances away today. So in a roundabout way its an indirect criticism of Berba. As I mentioned with Ibrahimovic sometimes strikers go through lean spells.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

oh ffs, today proved jack shít about anything, United had an off day and still nearly got a draw out of it. Go talk your rubbish somewhere else.

i laughed.

i've quoted it again, just to continue tempting someone to foolishly bite ;)

I did :o

Liam O wrote: »
    oh ffs, today proved jack shít about anything, United had an off day and still nearly got a draw out of it. Go talk your rubbish somewhere else.

Which points do you disagree with, today wasnt the first time berba was ****e, today wasnt the first time scholes mistimed 3 or 4 challenges, vidic over the season doesnt look interested

Which points do you disagree with, today wasnt the first time berba was ****e, today wasnt the first time scholes mistimed 3 or 4 challenges, vidic over the season doesnt look interested

I'm not gonna go any further with this. If I keep debating with you I can see myself getting banned.

if ryu was playing, he'd definitely have scored for utd

ryu_hadoken_pose.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1226531909576

had to, apologies.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Which points do you disagree with

today wasnt the first time scholes mistimed 3 or 4 challenges, vidic over the season doesnt look interested

Scholes has played and tackled like that through out his career at Manutd so its nothing new.

Regards Vidic, you could say the same about alot of other top players at certain clubs, again rubbish.

this thread had been going surprisingly well the last couple of hours too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

scholes gets away wit too much, that i agree with. And chelsea had a better bench today, again, i agree wit that. However, they are not a one man team, no more than any team who rely on their best players

Vanbis wrote: »
    Scholes has played and tackled like that through out his career at Manutd so its nothing new.

Regards Vidic, you could say the same about alot of other top players at certain clubs, again rubbish.

He has got worse in the last few years, just because he couldnt tackle then doesnt make it ok he cant tackle now, as for vidic i do think he will be gone he will have won 3 maybe 4 leagues a european cup, is it so crazy to think he will want to move on

He has got worse in the last few years, just because he couldnt tackle then doesnt make it ok he cant tackle now, as for vidic i do think he will be gone he will have won 3 maybe 4 leagues a european cup, is it so crazy to think he will want to move on
    To be fair Scholes made some terrific passes today. But was also late with one or two challenges.

scholes gets away wit too much, that i agree with. And chelsea had a better bench today, again, i agree wit that. However, they are not a one man team, no more than any team who rely on their best players

So you agree with most of what i say

• Advertisement

scholes gets away wit too much

it was funny, in the pub today, and everyone always has the same reaction when he goes through the back of someone.

'ah it's Scholes, sure he's never been able to tackle'...as if it's ok.

always makes me chuckle, and sneer slightly, in equal measure.

To be fair Scholes made some terrific passes today. But was also late with one or two challenges.

I,m not having a go at him as a player, i just think its laughable the tackles he gets away with

flahavaj wrote:

Outstanding.:pac:

(sits back)
    pass me the popcorn someone!:D

^^why are you quoting your own post?

• Advertisement

Quoting in the third person now, god you utd fans have a high opinion of yourselfs

Quoting in the third person now, god you utd fans have a high opinion of yourselfs

Or a low opinion of certain others.;)

^^why are you quoting your own post?

You've been known to do the same yerself, just under diferent aliases.;)

You've been known to do the same yerself, just under diferent aliases.;)
    Not the question I asked. The past is the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Emm I think it was fairly obvious why he quoted himself, or is there something else I'm missing?

My original post was pretty self explanatory tbh.

My original post was pretty self explanatory tbh.
    Yes so much so that you made it twice ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

ntlbell wrote: »
    I think we both know it wasn't a star fish, I have nice you tube video of a star fish expert if you want to compare?
    copacetic wrote: »
    Is it Rooney?
    ntlbell wrote: »
    Nah, he's no where near the caliber of player as rooney.

think they're from the same area tho.

Well if its not Rooney then that other player your maybe thinking of has nothing to do with this thread as he did not play for either team or play in today's match

that oul bane of a free transfer united got, O.G. didnt get game time today, thanks be to jaysus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Just accept you's are a one man team and deal with those apples!! You's would be nothing without Macheda! NOTHING!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement