Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life expectancy Aritech inertia sensor

Options
  • 02-04-2010 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

This must be the alarm season! First my father and now me! Is there a life expectancy for the Aritech inertia sensor with reed switch? I have changed a specific sensor 2 years ago on a window that is rarely opened. However, if the window is opened for a short while during the day, the alarm develops a fault at night, as if the magnet weakens OR am I making excuses for an attempted break in!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

A shock should last at least five years, Aritech one in my opinion last a little longer. All depends where the sensor is, if it's on a door that get slammed a lot or in a bathroom where there's loads of steam the sensor won't last as long.

By the sound of it your problem is with the reed switch which are normally very reliable. The only way of knowing what the problem is is to use a multimeter and meter out the shock and contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭cord

Funny thing is that it comes up on the panel as GROSS and ALARM (Closed contact), which I guess means the sensor and then the contact. What do you mean by meter out the shock and the contact? Use an ohm meter?
    Thanks for the info

What panel is it?

I need to think this one out! A friend fitted the system a number of years ago and now lives in New Zealand!! It's a HKC panel/keypad, but the sensor/contact is wired in to a Point ID sensor, not sure of the terminology and then in to the panel

What do you mean by meter out the shock and the contact? Use an ohm meter?
    Thanks for the info

Yes you need an ohm meter.

Set the meter to 200 ohms, put the prongs across the the sensor and take note of the reading. Now tap the sensor lightly, the reading on the meter will change. The reading should return to the original reading or there abouts if it stays up higher by more than a few ohms it's faulty.

Do the same with the reed but open the window as well as taping it.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

cord wrote: »
    I need to think this one out! A friend fitted the system a number of years ago and now lives in New Zealand!! It's a HKC panel/keypad, but the sensor/contact is wired in to a Point ID sensor, not sure of the terminology and then in to the panel

Magnets have also being known to loose the strength over time so replace the magnet before the sensor.
    If the sensor is wired from the ID sensor, either one could be faulty. Also check that it is not just a loose connection in the ID sensor connected to the Aritech inertia sensor.

Thanks Altor and Fred, any ideas where I can purchase the Aritech sensors on the Northside?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

cord wrote: »
    Thanks Altor and Fred, any ideas where I can purchase the Aritech sensors on the Northside?
    http://www.rspl.ie

Thanks Koolkid

• Advertisement
Advertisement