Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Idiot's guide to ammo

Options
  • 02-04-2010 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

all right lad's we have had a thread about shotgun catridges http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055862050&highlight=shells,
    i'd like to ask a few questions about rifle ammo?
    first things first, i have a 22-250, and a 22lr, what i'd like to know is what's everyones opinion on the different typs of load to use, 50g 55g 60g ect, as some of you already know i'm fairly new to shooting so your going to have to explain everything to me, (if you'd be so kind)
    what load is suitable for what job, shooting paper, rabbits fox ect, and what's the main different type's out there, hollow point ballistic tip (have a fair idea of these two but can always learn more), full metal jacket and what ever else is out there, also i've read a bit here about molly paste, and i took it up that some ammo you buy is already coated with it and some you put it onto the bullet yourself, am i right in thinking this,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

yog1 wrote: »
    all right lad's we have had a thread about shotgun catridges http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055862050&highlight=shells,
    i'd like to ask a few questions about rifle ammo?
    first things first, i have a 22-250, and a 22lr, what i'd like to know is what's everyones opinion on the different typs of load to use, 50g 55g 60g ect, as some of you already know i'm fairly new to shooting so your going to have to explain everything to me, (if you'd be so kind)
    what load is suitable for what job, shooting paper, rabbits fox ect, and what's the main different type's out there, hollow point ballistic tip (have a fair idea of these two but can always learn more), full metal jacket and what ever else is out there, also i've read a bit here about molly paste, and i took it up that some ammo you buy is already coated with it and some you put it onto the bullet yourself, am i right in thinking this,
    Hornady ammo Moly coated
    Light load, flatter shooting, but can be more susceptable to wind drift.
    FMJ, is for target or millitary only.
    Ballistic tip is very accurate hunting ammo, uses all its energy when hits target, mushes fox etc
    Hollow point similar but less accurate
    Loads are heavier for more accurate on long range, lighter for faster hitting.
    .22lr Lapua tenX are best for target from memory, years since I had a .22.
    CCI make great hunting rounds.
    .22/250 very accurate rifle. any round will dust a fox. But for barrel life 50-55grain may be the best but don't quote me on that.

Get three boxes set up target, 100 200 300, fire five shots at each and get the mean. Which ever groups the best is what I go with

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

.22lr Lapua tenX are best for target from memory, years since I had a .22.
    Tenex is made by Eley, it's their top-of-the-line ammo.
    The best for target shooting in .22lr though isn't any particular brand, but whatever suits your rifle best - and it is very individual, what suits one rifle may not suit the very next one off the assembly line. And the best for your rifle may not be the most expensive the company makes. Mine never really liked Lapua Midas all that much, but the cheaper Multimatch gave much better results.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sika98k

Ballistic tip is very accurate hunting ammo, uses all its energy when hits target, mushes fox etc
    Hollow point similar but less accurate
    Ever wonder why match ammunition tends to be hollowpoint ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

It generally isn't, except in centerfire pistol shooting (where you don't want ricochets).
    Match ammo in .22lr is never hollowpoint.
    Match ammo in airgun is always wadcutter (because the velocity is low enough that drag isn't as big a concern as it is with others)

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sika98k

Sparks wrote: »
    It generally isn't, except in centerfire pistol shooting (where you don't want ricochets).
    Match ammo in .22lr is never hollowpoint.
    Match ammo in airgun is always wadcutter (because the velocity is low enough that drag isn't as big a concern as it is with others)

Ok,but the poster would appear to have been referring to centrefire ammo.FMJ is fine for plinking but would frustrate the average shooter.Ever try a box of Sellier and Belliot FMJ ammo ? Horrendous accuracy.
    Without getting up on a pedestal my match ammunition in 2 calibres[one in 22/250] are hollowpoint.It is meant to buck the wind better.Whether it does or not I dont know.I have never carried out a subjective test
    Although I do have some of a box of Winchester 40gr varminter hollowpoints 22/250 ammo.Their title not mine.They shred fur !:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Mr.Flibble

Sika98k wrote: »

Because if you draw the jacket from the base, which I believe gives a better-quality base - and that is important for accuracy, inevitably you're left with a hole at the nose. As long as you make the hole as fine as possible it generally isn't worth doing anything more to mitigate it.

(I assume we're talking about centrefire rifle ammunition.)

Sika98k wrote: »

Very good point,I did actually.
    I had match 6.5x55 Lapua gold medal. I never knew if they were legal tro hunt with as they clearly said MATCH ammo.
    Balistic tippedd are better at mushing than HP as they use all there energy, I have had Hollow points centrfire exit and burrow several inches into the ground.
    As I also said, .22lr is not my area. I haev not had one in years. I wanted a .223 and it was a simple swap at the time no need for new application.

I have fired wadcutter .38 Specials and they were very accurate in comparison to .357 FMJ in same pistol.
    My OPINION, Not an expert is it is easier to keep BT heads. Softpoint gets deformed when loaded up the ramp.
    A lot of BT are hollowpoints too, They help the round fragment or spread.

I like the science of ballistics, and I am always after the perfect FACTORY load for my needs.
    I'm hoping these Hornady TAP 110grn BT will do the job.
    The 155 that I am currently using mush all before but the trajectory on the 110 is nicer for varmint options.
    Often where I hunt deer I see foxes, if no deer was seen that day I knock as much crack out of getting a fox TBH, they are not as tasty though to eat :D

Sparks wrote: »
    Tenex is made by Eley, it's their top-of-the-line ammo.
    Ooops, as I said years since I was in a .22lr comp!
    The best for target shooting in .22lr though isn't any particular brand, but whatever suits your rifle best - and it is very individual, what suits one rifle may not suit the very next one off the assembly line. And the best for your rifle may not be the most expensive the company makes. Mine never really liked Lapua Midas all that much, but the cheaper Multimatch gave much better results.

My experience is mostly with hunting rounds, my range work is for zeroing, I don't like the range, unless there is very few there.

Wait for permission to put up target.
    Wait for shooting to be allowed.
    Just about to squeeze off a shot and some looder lets off a win mag or something and I pull the shot.
    Listen to some dude tell you off because you dropped a casing on the ground etc.... Even though you pick up everything before you leave!
    Not knocking ranges, they are great. But I prefer when they are quiet, which is rare.

In regards to ammo, I like Hornady, especially the neat little breast pocket sized boxes.
    For .22lr the Eley TenX scored me 190 out of 200 years ago. Hunting ammo was 168 on same target same distance same day. It was a charity shoot so I entered twice with different ammo just to see the difference.

I had Seller & Bellot 6.5x55, worse than useless for accuracy
    Best accuracy I had was with 108grain Lapua Gold Medal,
    Best ammo for me was Norma 126grain BT. Dropped deer like a hot snot, but price was redic so I changed to .308. The rest is Histroy.

Advertisement