Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intro to the scene (for the newly out)

Options
  • 02-04-2010 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

This is not just for 26 year olds but I just titled it that because there is an alarming amount of 26 year olds on this board with a similar issue of coming out/meeting people/getting on the scene and all that. So ANY AGE is welcomed with this!

As a lot of us have seen, there appears to be quite a lot of 26 year olds on this board including myself who find it difficult to know how to make a group of gay friends, haven't ventured onto the scene or who are not as mad into the one night stand/promiscuous/out for one thing only stuff. I was wondering if any of you would like to meet up some night in pantibar or a similar chilled spot. I am very new to the scene so I have been very nervous about it myself and Im now getting quite used to it so I'd just like to help out anybody else struggling to come to grips with it all. We can all meet somewhere neutral first and just make our way there. This would be just an unofficial meet not connected with boards.ie but just an opportunity for a small group with a similar outlook to meet and let this whole gay bar and culture thing become casual and less daunting. Please PM if you are serious about it because I really want to make a lot of gay friends, especially around my age but of course you don't just have to be 26 - that just seemed to be the most common age. I know how having one person to be a guide can be so helpful and I just want to help :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CSaber

I'd potentially be interested but can't do weekend nights as I'm working then. I am also 26 btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I have to say I really hate the age thing. It doesn't encourage anyone to attend who wouldn't have anyway, but potential puts off a whole range of people. Last queer beers I attended had a range of people from 18 to 35+. It creates a bad impression and is off putting having a specific age target.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭door

yeh boston, its true and i get your point. I suppose i just thouhgt like that because that age has had an uncanny presence here and i wanted to just form a small group. I would change the thread title now if I could though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Boston wrote: »
    I have to say I really hate the age thing. It doesn't encourage anyone to attend who wouldn't have anyone, but potential puts off a whole range of people. Last queer beers I attended had a range of people from 18 to 35+. It creates a bad impression and is off putting have a specific age target.
    I'd agree with this. There was a nice age range at the last Beers because we never specified an age range - it was all inclusive. Nobody felt they wouldn't belong if they came along.
    door wrote: »
    I would change the thread title now if I could though.
    Well I could change the title.. I have such powers...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

Boston wrote: »
    I have to say I really hate the age thing. It doesn't encourage anyone to attend who wouldn't have anyone, but potential puts off a whole range of people. Last queer beers I attended had a range of people from 18 to 35+. It creates a bad impression and is off putting have a specific age target.
    a mid week all ages meet up sounds like a good idea ,;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

ixoy wrote: »
    Well I could change the title.. I have such powers...

WITCH! :eek:

((( I AM INSIDE YOUR POST. I CONTROL ALL )))

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

there does seem to be a collective of 26 year olds! i'll throw my name in as another 26 year old gay man who's had trouble meeting people!

id be up for any meet up but the age is pretty restricted as everyone has said!:D

Ok, I've just put in a little piece at the start with emphasis that it's not just for 26 year olds. I had tried to originally mention it wasn't just for 26 year olds but that didn't come across that well. So maybe we can just say the idea of this is for people who are mainly new to the scene and to coming out and want a friendly like minded bunch to get to know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Donnaghm

I wish there was a similar initiative down in Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Donnaghm wrote: »

start one!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

Donnaghm wrote: »

Hey like Johnnymcg suggests, try and start one there yourself. I am totally random and have no connection with boards.ie, the LGB page or anything. I just feel it takes one person to try and get the ball rolling with a meet up. Our lives would just stay stagnant without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 YokoFactor

I love this idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CSaber

Any update on this idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭JayJay123

Yeah is there!?? :o

21 btw! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Jimmynala

Any update ?? I'd defo be interested but not being from Dublin, I'll need to know in advance to book it off work and shizzle!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

I'll start one for gays and lesbians who were born on 29th Feb on any leap year in the '80s :D:D Would we need a bus or three or... :p

how about just an LGBT forum meet up in July or August?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

Johnnymcg wrote: »

Thats a pretty cool idea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Johnnymcg wrote: »

Defo up for this!!! Cork or Dublin! 26 Female Bi!

FYI

FRIDAY, JUNE 25
    ‘Wilde' Off Scene Annual event for those who don't go out on the scene meets in a nice friendly pub for a few drinks and chat, details to follow on www.dublinpride.ie

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
Advertisement