Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health insurance USA

Options
  • 02-04-2010 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭

Hey, I'm wondering if someone can point me in the right direction regarding health insurance.
    What are the best companies? What should I look out for regarding what's included or not in my plan? Is there an average cost per month/year?

We're a couple moving to Nevada and I just want to make sure we're covered over there as I heard most places won't look at you without insurance. I rarely go to the doctor over here and have never had a major illness (touch wood!) so I'd expect the same in America, but obviously you never know.

Thanks for the advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Welcome to a minefield!!

There is no such thing a the 'best' insurance company, it all depends on the area you will be living in. You will need to go to a doctor/hospital that is 'in network' for your insurance company and different companies have different coverage in different areas. If you know anyone in the area you should ask what companies they use.

Many people get insurance through a work group scheme, if you are trying to get insurance independently it will be very expensive (maybe $3k each per year) and you have to declare all your pre-existing conditions and the things that they will exclude cover for are extensive. Many group schemes are better value and they cover more pre-existing conditions.

I'm in a group scheme attached to my husband's employment. His employer pays his insurance and then we pay $3k a year to add me. Visits to doctors and prescriptions are generally covered by insurance but you have to pay a small fee too (called a co-pay). If I go to the doctor or urgent care it costs me $15 + 10% of the costs of tests/procedures, a visit to the ER would be $75.

In the short term I would recommend getting catastrophic insurance (maybe with a $10k deductible) to cover you until hopefully you get sorted with jobs that give you access to a group healthcare plan. My insurance company is United Healthcare and I did a random quote for Nevada zip code 89155, male + female, non-smokers and I got plans for $80 - $130 per month with a $10k deductible.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

Im just going through this at work right now. Ive been asking around re companies and the name that keeps coming up in Anthem. I think one of the important things to check is the network of doctors/institutions available as its expensive if you go outside the network. Im told Anthem has national coverage but some companies operate within certain areas only.....so if you are travelling and need medical attention it could be expensive if there are no doctors from your network available. The premiums are very expensive here - fortunately mine is covered through work - otherwise it would be costing me $597 dollars per month (as a single individual!). So I guess VHI isnt such a rip off afterall :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

lonestargirl is right......the easiest way is through an employee health plan. obviously if you're moving you intend working.....if you haven't already got a job lined up, it might be a good idea to get a short term health insurance plan and then see if you can find a job with an employee health plan.

Advertisement