Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sitting in on Lectures?

Options
  • 02-04-2010 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭

Quite an odd question, but I was wondering would you be allowed to sit in on a college lecture? I would love to attend a Medicine lecture! Could I ask the lecturer beforehand?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

I'd say ring around. You're bound to find someone who'll let you in. They probably wouldn't notice one extra person anyway, but best to do it by the book.

I know of a few LC students who came to our lectures in First Med.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

It's fine,I went to a law lecture last year with my brother.Just sit up the back somewhere so you arent asked questions and pretend your're taking notes,lecturer wont notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

gant0 wrote: »
    It's fine,I went to a law lecture last year with my brother.Just sit up the back somewhere so you arent asked questions and pretend your're taking notes,lecturer wont notice.
    Go for the middle - you're more likely to be picked on if in the back!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

I rang Trinity and UCD, and was allowed sit in on a few 1st year lectures, but it was made fairly clear which ones it was ok to (Physiology theory, Biochemistry etc) and which I wasn't even to attempt to sneak into (Anatomy labs, other labs etc). It was a great experience, chatted away to a few students an got a far better idea of the course. Ring and ask, sure you've nothing to lose! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Freakin4Leavin

Oooh i was actually thinking of doing that for trinity this week too!! I was gonna just turn up and my still do that but seing as theyre normally quite obliging i might just ring!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 GK_91

Ring them and ask.
    If they say no just sneak in anyway.
    You wont be noticed ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Well if you show up and volunteer to answer a question, intelligently: That will mark you out as an interloper :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

We're forever getting random secondary school students in our lectures, you can spot them a mile off cos they look excited/awake.

I'd say you could just head in, especially if it's a big lecture hall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

Thanks a million for all your replies! I guess I'm just a little bit worried that if I do go in, unannounced, and they find that I'm only in secondary school, I'll be banned from studying medicine or something-or the lecturer might remember me if I do get Medicine and he'll have a set on me:(

Advertisement