Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photography...in the world of tomorrow!

• 02-04-2010 9:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭

Or: The year 2030. If the glaciers haven't rolled south by then...

I correctly interpreted Eas's nay-saying as a challenge. My predictions:

Big, boxy SLR cameras will remain big, boxy SLR cameras. Their functionality and resolution will continue to expand as the years roll on. I see the big breakthrough being true-visual light capture (full dynamic range) and the inclusion of trans- and hyperspectral imaging on high-end bodies. I can't actually think of a worthwhile use right now, but I'm sure somebody will come up with it once it is made practical.

Film and other analogue media will remain, although certain types and styles will come into and go out of style as the years roll on. *Sigh* Yes we will have Polaroid in the year 2030. Although we'll be paying $30/shot then, instead of $3/shot. On the whole, though, I expect them to be pushed more into the artsty/creative fringe because, as a above, digital (or even something post-digital) will eventually pass it out in resolution.

Shutterless camera obscura (your camera phone) will likewise benefit from the increase in available resolution. We'll see practical, wearable cameras in a myriad of forms. These practical, wearable cameras that come in a myriad of forms will be intimately networked into the internet (access-permitting).

Idiot assholes will still hold their $2,000 SLR camera at arms length.

Discuss.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭gerardduff

You might be interested in this article...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8580372.stm
    Idiot assholes will still hold their $2,000 SLR camera at arms length.
    As for Liveview; it has its uses but I ken what you're sayin'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 255 ✭✭ianflynn

tbh they havent seen technology evolve at the rate we have. its been accelerating. you buy a computer this week thats top of the line, next week there will be something better.
    its becoming more predictable noe though, things will become smaller, more efficient, and with the way the internet works now its all networked.
    I;d say soon enough they will have cameras that automatically update to flikr instead of memory cards! (a wild use of my imagination there, but could work :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

ianflynn wrote: »
    tbh they havent seen technology evolve at the rate we have. its been accelerating. you buy a computer this week thats top of the line, next week there will be something better.
    its becoming more predictable noe though, things will become smaller, more efficient, and with the way the internet works now its all networked.
    I;d say soon enough they will have cameras that automatically update to flikr instead of memory cards! (a wild use of my imagination there, but could work :))

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want the raw images from my burlesque shoot being streamed like to Flickr. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

I'm not sure if this is speculation or wishful thinking on my part, but I'd like to see a slowdown in the resolution increases, at least in terms of dot pitch on the sensor. There's only so much you can compensate for the noise and moire artefacts produced by tiny pixels and pure spatial resolution is almost never the limiting factor in resolving ability in modern digital photography.

I'd also like to see an increase in the amount of available dynamic range in the sensor, but probably not for the purposes of capturing the full gamut of tones in a scene and instead using it to give the response curve a more logarithmic-looking shoulder and toe allowing graceful rolloff on blown highlights and rich shadow tones with little chroma noise.

I also hope the economics of manufacturing larger sensors becomes attractive to the point that full-frame 35mm and 6x6 medium format sensors can be used in compact and enthusiast-affordable bodies. This increase in sensor size would also permit resolution gains without compromising pixel density.

I also think that EVFs will become more practical and allow for cameras to be made with very small registration distances and allows them to be used with a variety of mount adapters so they can be used with practically any lens.

I have more, but I'll shut up now.

And, besides, plenty of SLR users hold their cameras at arms length, albeit with a waist level finder.

Fenster wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want the raw images from my burlesque shoot being streamed like to Flickr. :D
    well you can set the option to not....
    coing to think of it,
    PATENT PENDING :D
    I may be onto something here :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

ianflynn wrote: »
    well you can set the option to not....
    coing to think of it,
    PATENT PENDING :D
    I may be onto something here :cool:

It has already been done. Video cameras that stream to live to YouTube and still cameras that go to Flickr (AFAIK).

not so good a friday anymore so :( haha

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

charybdis wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is speculation or wishful thinking on my part, but I'd like to see a slowdown in the resolution increases, at least in terms of dot pitch on the sensor.
    you'll see video cameras running at resolutions we currently see on DSLRs, so people will just video scenes and screengrab for the photos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

all I want is a camera that can store the names of the wedding party for reference....i ask too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

Fenster wrote: »
    *Sigh* Yes we will have Polaroid in the year 2030. Although we'll be paying $30/shot then, instead of $3/shot. On the whole, though, I expect them to be pushed more into the artsty/creative fringe because, as a above, digital (or even something post-digital) will eventually pass it out in resolution.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/polaroid-film-reinvented-and-ready-to-sell-1925677.html
    Or sooner :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement