Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a concrete shed, some questions for the pros

• 02-04-2010 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

I will be building a concrete shed out the back in the summer. The size will be about 15"(w)x12"(l)x7"(h), we currently have 3 very dodgy sheds at the moment and one has a big crack in it and they all basically look pretty god damn ugly, so I want to replace the 3 with one big one.

I will be building this myself with a neighbour who is a builder (Polish) and I want to hire a building consultant to make sure everything is ok, but I have alot of questions before I embark on this, some are below.

Oh, also this shed will mainly to throw up a punch bag and be used as "gym" :)
    1. There is currently a concrete base, although it has a step in it, would I need to demolish this and create a brand new foundation or could I bring it so the whole area is level by adding more concrete?
    2. Would I need to dig below ground level and make new foundation to make shed more secure?
    3. I will be using blocks, this shed is pretty big, well for me anywho but is there anything I should be aware of to make it as secure and stable as possible (using piers etc?) Don't want it falling down in the first week now :)
    4. Should I use double blocks or will a single blocks be sufficient for strength, stability etc?
    5. What can I do to prevent mould/dampness etc? I will be buying an insulated roof.
    That's it for the moment, I will have more I am sure :)
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

dont pay somone dfor building consultation.

whats the depth of the stepped concrete pad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

tbh i have not a clue but i would PM one of the mods in construction and planning 2 up i think and repost this article there.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=876

Tends to be more of that type of person.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭kqcregg

Hi contentking. While I appreciate why people say dont get a consultant a few things to note depending on your situation.

Planning Permission: A garage of 25 SqM (269 SqFt) is exempt from requiring planning provided you dont build forward of the front line of your home. Ridge height can only be 3.5m if a single pitch roof or 4.5m if a pitched "A" roof. While you are replacing existing sheds try not to exceed their height if you have any close neighbours so that you dont overshadow them more than you did previously. If on a detached ste normally no problem but if you have neighbours just be careful.

Services: Power in particular. Make sure you bury this good and deep with warning tape over in case of future digging in the garden. Water and alarm linked to main house?

Otherwise its straight forward. As for your queries:

There is currently a concrete base, although it has a step in it, would I need to demolish this and create a brand new foundation or could I bring it so the whole area is level by adding more concrete?

If the cracks in your existing sheds were not as a result of the fondations then it should suffice but you may have to expand it to suit new size. If you do just can drill some reinfocing bar into the existing base before pouring new concrete around.

Would I need to dig below ground level and make new foundation to make shed more secure?

If the existing base is solid then their should be no need. I it has subsided anywhere then you might be as well to redo the lot.

I will be using blocks, this shed is pretty big, well for me anywho but is there anything I should be aware of to make it as secure and stable as possible (using piers etc?) Don't want it falling down in the first week now

Once the four walls are tied into each other and the roof is properly fixed it should be fine given the size you are talking.

Should I use double blocks or will a single blocks be sufficient for strength, stability etc?

Single block on edge would not be recommended. Single Cavity block is suitable and simpler / quicker / cheaper but I would recommend cavity wall. Your blocklayer will explain the differances.

What can I do to prevent mould/dampness etc? I will be buying an insulated roof.

The change in temperauture is the biggest issue as the shed will more than likely be unheated. I'd recommend a small dehumidifier and an insulated floor. Put down a damp proof membrane (Polythene) on your base once block work is up. Put rigid insulation on this and then put a minium 75mm (3") concrete screed over this. You'll have a nice new smooth floor thats insulated and damp free if done right.

Depending on where you are you might look at this option
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...hlight=precast They may deliver? It would save on messing with differant trades but not sure if roof is insulated. Still have to allow for wiring it too.
    Either way enjoy the shed as they are well worth the effort (once they are finished!) ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭contentking

Sorry for the late reply guys.

I have attached a pic of the back to see the step.

back.png

Advertisement