Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astronomy is harder than it looks

Options
  • 02-04-2010 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

It sure is. I borrowed a vanguard f606 from the wifes sister with the hope of becoming the next Messier. One of my first targets was Saturn. I picked it up in the view finder which I callibrated with the telescope earlier today using a TV mast.

Next thing I'm knee deep in mud trying to focus the scope on Saturn. After a good half hour I got it, I think. I'm assuming it's the brightest star in a south south east direction. Anyway, it's an old unsteady telescope and it seems impossible to completely sync the view finder with the scope. I tried to steady my hand but the planet just darted around my eye, I just couldn't get a steady view. When I tried to focus it was gone.

Am I making too big a deal put of this. Should I buy a better telescope? Any advice would be great! I sit here now at the kitchen table, destroyed in mud but contemplating giving it one last go.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,425 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

Sorry but that isnt a telescope, its a toy, and out of frustration they lessen or even extinguish any interest you have in observing the night sky. you will need a larger, steady telescope for any kind of satisfaction.

if you havent already as stated in the sticky, get yourself a pair of binoculars as a beginner ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

slade x is spot on with those comments, get a decent pair of binoculars with a tripod and you'll be on the right track....later perhaps a nice big (but good value) Dobson

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭calabi yau

I feared as much, is there any chance someone might be able to recommend a good set of binoculars, is anything I buy in Argos gonna be rubbish

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭murphyme2010

The Lidl ones are good and at about €20 very good value.

I'm not sure when they will be back in stock tho'

Michael.

Alright slade_x, took your advice and bought a pair of celestron 10 x 50 for €50, they had a set of celestron astronomy binoculars for €100, I was very tempted but thought that I'd put the €50 towards the telescope I hope to eventually buy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

calabi yau wrote: »
    I feared as much, is there any chance someone might be able to recommend a good set of binoculars, is anything I buy in Argos gonna be rubbish

Eagle Eye in the Army Surplus Stores. Fantastic Binoculars, about €100, night clear view, perfect for the Moon, absolute focus which makes a huge difference ~ clearly see the four large moons of Jupiter.

My version is the 8x56 and represent the middle model ~ don't bother with the more expensive zoom. For an 8x56 with Night Clear this represents superb value.

You need some really kickass telescope and equally important is the tripod or stand ~ you'd want to be thinking about three grand

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭dbran

gbee wrote: »
    You need some really kickass telescope and equally important is the tripod or stand ~ you'd want to be thinking about three grand

True - but a well made dobsonian 8" would cost only €500 or so.

It is only if you want tracking and goto etc that the price goes up significantly.

dbran

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

The Lidl ones are good and at about €20 very good value.

I'm not sure when they will be back in stock tho'

Michael.

On special from tomorrow(Monday 5th).

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20100405.p.Binoculars_10x50

lord lucan wrote: »

I went and picked these up this morning as a second pair of travel binos. The image is far clearer than in the celestron pair I got on Saturday and for a third of the price. These r great value

Star gazing

Brilliant night for star gazing tonight, really clear. Firstly, spotted a comet at 22:28.

Mars was really bright in the sky tonight. Nice orange glow from it. To the further south then and you arrive at the beehive cluster which also looked amazing. Pleiades was beautiful aswell tonight, low in the west and could actually glimpse the Orion nebula between the trees extremely low in west. Would be a great night to view Saturn through a telescope.*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 julikerry

Had to say that I laughed when I read about your problem with the telescope, went through exactly the same myself ...guess we just fall for the pictures on the box...but it is a learning curve. smile.gif
    A decent pair of binoculars is a must though, I have to agree on that. Just uploaded my new astronomy website a few weeks ago at www.the-universe.ie If you think trying to focus on Saturn is a task try putting a site together......
    It took me the best part of a year between going to classes and learning about html and stuff...but I got there in the end.
    Now I'm in the early stages of trying to start up an astronomy group in my area ...sth kerry.... I'm at the thinking about it stage right now
    pacman.gif

Advertisement