Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rest breaks

Options
  • 02-04-2010 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I started work 5 years ago and we used to get a 10 hour rest break between shifts. Over the past few months they have been changing it to 9 hours and now its been changed to 8hours. This is killing me, physically. I brought it up with the manager in november and she completely ignored it. Its the same work, they're just bringing us in earlier. They can give us the 10 hour break and instead of finishing 2 hours earlier, we can just finish 2 hours later. Its the same thing.

I am planning on going to hr next week but what can i do after that? It seems as if they just don't care!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

contact nera but i think you have to have 11 hours between shifts

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Kevtherev

They are required to give you a minimum of 11 hours off between shifts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭bongi69

jomc 1 wrote: »
    contact nera but i think you have to have 11 hours between shifts

+1

Working time act stipulates 11hrs minimum rest between the end of one shift and the start of another.

Now I've had rest breaks that were only 10 hours before, but that was a once off at a busy time of the year, and was compensated by my manager with a few days off later on, but what your company is doing can be considered illegal, and I'd be inclinded to print off the act and bring it in to show to your manager and demand the statutory rest period.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/employment/employment-rights-and-conditions/hours-of-work/rest-periods-and-breaks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Bongi i think that you will find that that link also answers your question in another thread.

Advertisement