Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relative Marking

Options
  • 02-04-2010 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

Say everyone in your class was amazing at a subject, and all A1 standard in comparison to the rest of the country, could you all get A1s?

In a subject without a set marking scheme like a language, could A1s be given to the majority of people if they were deserving of them or would the examiner not be allowed to do that, and have to mark a few people down?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

zam wrote: »
    Say everyone in your class was amazing at a subject, and all A1 standard in comparison to the rest of the country, could you all get A1s?

In a subject without a set marking scheme like a language, could A1s be given to the majority of people if they were deserving of them or would the examiner not be allowed to do that, and have to mark a few people down?

All subjects have a set marking scheme

and no, A1s wouldn't be given to the majority, if everyone got an A1 it would suggest that the paper was way easier than previous years and the marking scheme would be adjusted accordingly. Exams are graded on a bell curve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

and no, A1s wouldn't be given to the majority, if everyone got an A1 it would suggest that the paper was way easier than previous years and the marking scheme would be adjusted accordingly. Exams are graded on a bell curve.

Don't think you understood the question.

I've heard of entire classes in subjects such as maths getting A1 so no the examiner isn't gonna mark you down just because your entire class seems to be doing well. However as said in the overall scheme of things the people attaining A1's will remain around the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

What about in grind schools then? If everyone's would have got an A in an average class, will they still get an A in a class where half of the students will get an A? ( I mean for subjective subjects like English and History)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

theowen wrote: »
    What about in grind schools then? If everyone's would have got an A in an average class, will they still get an A in a class where half of the students will get an A? ( I mean for subjective subjects like English and History)

I think art is the only subject where they mark the class it self relatively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭coughlan08

I think art is the only subject where they mark the class it self relatively.

the whole lot of ye are missing the point,

to answer the original question,
    yes the whole class can be awarded a1s,and for this reason,,,
    every1 as you know is given an examination number the corrector doesnt have a clue what group of numbers are in the same class,so even if they did not want to give all A1s to a single class they cant because they wouldnt be able to tell the diff.....get me?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Well, generally a class group will be in the one centre, so it can be clear enough what is a class group. If they are good enough, yes, it's possible for them all to get high marks. A class full of A1s would certainly be unusual, but not impossible.

I have corrected centres where the first 25 candidates all scored very well (B/A) and the other 20 scored not so well. It's unlikely that that would happen in an alphabetical list so I can rightly presume they were two class groups.

Not all grind school candidates get As, not by a long shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Hmmm interesting (and reassuring). Apparently this happens in my school with music (practicals)

Don't think you understood the question.

I've heard of entire classes in subjects such as maths getting A1 so no the examiner isn't gonna mark you down just because your entire class seems to be doing well. However as said in the overall scheme of things the people attaining A1's will remain around the same.

No I just misread it, it was late at night, my comprehension is perfect.

Yes a class can all get As, just as a whole class can fail. But overall around the country is what my post referred to.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

zam wrote: »

If everyone was the same and the standard of everyone's work was worthy of an A1 then everyone would have to be awarded anA!.If the opposite happened and everyone in the entire country decided that they weren't going to write anything on the paper then everyone would get an A1 since this would be the best that anyone did.

If everyone was the same and the standard of everyone's work was worthy of an A1 then everyone would have to be awarded anA!.If the opposite happened and everyone in the entire country decided that they weren't going to write anything on the paper then everyone would get an A1 since this would be the best that anyone did.

Impossible. You can't get marks for a blank paper.

• Advertisement
Advertisement