Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

M3 sportive May 16th

• 02-04-2010 11:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭

Got an Email containing this today which might be of inerest to you based East of the Shannon

Award winning Aisling Group International Charity is delighted to be chosen to host the only event prior to the opening of the M3 motorway. This major M3 motorway cycling sportif and special event will take place on Sunday May 16th 2010 starting at the Fairyhouse cross area in Co. Meath, cycling up one side of motorway and back to start on opposite side.

‘Aisling’ needs everyone to come along and fill up this new motorway. All levels catered for plus elite. 3 distances to suit everyone; 14km family spin, 55km medium distance and 100km distance which is named the ‘Paul Healion Cycle’ in memory of well known national champion cyclist Paul Healion who tracically passed away last year. Overseas welcome. This major event will be recorded as an occasion of significance. So we need all regions, levels and countries represented.

Aisling Group International caters for children and adults and helps them gain back control of their lives so they can become active, responsible and valued members of society. Aisling Group International training & education programmes are run throughout Ireland. Ireland has one of the highest rates of drug misuse in Europe (ESPAD Report). Whether you use or not it effects the vulnerable such as the unborn, children, families, sports and the community at large. Aisling Group International charity is a not for profit charity and your support will play a vital role in the community.

Registration will be on line and numbers may be allocated pior to event. Check out our website www.aislinggroupinternational.ie and the event website www.m3cycle.ie (which will be going live on Tuesday) for details and to register. Also, please do not hesitate to contact our offices for more details and registration forms. Others may wish to sponsor some of their favourite cyclists by donating on line on the event website.

This major event is of great significance and we would encourage cyclists of all levels and ages to support the event. Some well known faces both on and off the cycling routes will be participating.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭up the town

Excellent news I,ll spread the word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

got another name for it ...

Haaaammmeeerrrrfeeesssttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭rughdh

The web site is now live.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

got another name for it ...

Haaaammmeeerrrrfeeesssttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!

Depends on whether the "lead car" allows it, I guess:
    All three events will have lead cars, follow cars, mechanical support and refreshments

Entry fee for the 100km and 55km = €38:
    The entry fee includes your participation certificate, refreshments during and after the event, toilets at the start/finish, car parking on site (number or registration document must be displayed), and use of various support services during the event

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Am I missing it or have they neglected to include one very important piece of information off the website, the DATE of the event ??? :confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Bikerbhoy wrote: »
    Am I missing it or have they neglected to include one very important piece of information off the website, the DATE of the event ??? :confused::confused:

Def not on the front page anyway

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Esroh wrote: »
    Def not on the front page anyway
    It's on the Aisling Group website, but I can't see it on the m3 cycle site. I've e-mailed them and they have replied to say all the details will go up on the website this week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Esroh wrote: »
    This major M3 motorway cycling sportif and special event will take place on Sunday May 16th 2010
    -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

@ bcmf - we are all aware of the date of this event as the thread title suggests , we are just stating the fact that the date does not actually appear on event website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Any idea of pacing for this? Kinda fancy being towed along for 100km by a big group but don't want to be shunted out the back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Looks like fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭trek climber

BostonB wrote: »
    Looks like fun!

Wouldn't be also nice to cycle a stretch of road with NO potholes !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭King Kelly

I can't really see the attraction of these motorway events myself other than the obvious charitable aspect. Dead straight roads where you can see forever, no climbs but drags that go on miles, no shelter from head or crosswinds and no towns or villages to whizz through or stop in. I know the closed road is a novelty and the pace will be fast but if I want that a race would be faster and more fun(!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

but it would be fun to race the crxp out of it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Considering the opposition to the project i wonder will there be any protests on the day. I was never a fan of the route of this road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Probably going to sign up for this - need some sort of goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Hi, I've a Trek mtb and a hybrid.
    A mate asked me to join him in the M3 55km cycle. He's a top spec racer-carbon fibre the whole shebang 3k worth.

Q?Would the hybrid be suitable to join him on or should I borrow another mates road bike? Dont want to be left behind :)

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Q?Would the hybrid be suitable to join him on or should I borrow another mates road bike? Dont want to be left behind :)

That really is a question you should ask your mate, it depends if he plans to hammer it or just spin along....

Anyone actually signed up for this? Was going to start training for this today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Signed up alright, should be interesting - flat (i'd imagine) but with a pristene surface could make for some high speed pacelines if the wind is decent on the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 106 ✭✭Fredo

signed up for it as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

I might do this, havent broken a ton yet so might be a good way to do it with a nice road no hills and plenty of groups. makes a change to the ususal training routes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

I'm currently doing 50k 3-4 times a week which takes me just under 2hrs each time.
    Logic would tell me to sign up for the 55k spin but I'm wondering if I'd manage to do 100k due to the occasion, being in a group, flat terrain, etc?
    I was aiming to do a 100k spin before the summer ends but I'm not sure if this has come up a bit soon and maybe I need some more k's under my belt first?
    I would hate to do the 55 and feel like I have plenty more left in the tank, but of course I would also hate to hit a brick wall at the 70-80k mark :o
    So..55 or 100? :confused:

CPL 593H

furiousox wrote: »
    I'm currently doing 50k 3-4 times a week which takes me just under 2hrs each time.
    Logic would tell me to sign up for the 55k spin but I'm wondering if I'd manage to do 100k due to the occasion, being in a group, flat terrain, etc?
    I was aiming to do a 100k spin before the summer ends but I'm not sure if this has come up a bit soon and maybe I need some more k's under my belt first?
    I would hate to do the 55 and feel like I have plenty more left in the tank, but of course I would also hate to hit a brick wall at the 70-80k mark :o
    You're already doing getting on for 200k a week. 100k in a session will be no problem - there's no way you'll hit a wall.

55k are ya mad.... 100k and when ya start to feel just hang on the back of the peleton and they will happily drag ya home

100k it is then, I'll be the guy wheezing along at the back getting a tow from Beasty and bcmf! :D

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

I've just signed up for this. Seeing as I live just down the road from the start, it'd be rude not to!

100k it is then, I'll be the guy wheezing along at the back getting a tow from Beasty and bcmf! :D
    Good luck getting a tow from me as I wont be there. Looks like the towing duties is up to Beasty

Just registered for the.........100k :)

CPL 593H

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Just registered for the.........100k :)
    If you are doing 55km 3/4 times a week without difficulty in under two hours you should be targetting a 200km like the Wicklow 200 this year. Honest. See how you get on with this 100km and then aim for one; I am sure you will do fine. There are also a fair few 160km distance rides (Sean Kelly, Tour de Kilkenny) which are highly recommended.

CheGuedara wrote: »
    Signed up alright, should be interesting - flat (i'd imagine) but with a pristene surface could make for some high speed pacelines if the wind is decent on the day

Three of us did a trial cycle on it yesterday- we covered about 25K going northwards from Skyrne. It is fairly flat but very open so if it is windy stay in a group. There was one section here we had to walk for about 500-600 metres asit is only gravel but otherwise it is very smooth.
    It was a bit eerie actually with no traffic in site.

Can anyone point out on google maps where exactly the start is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Any definitive word on what role the lead car will play - i.e. will it try to enforce a speed limit to keep the bunch together or will it allow a hammerfest? Nothing more frustrating than being hemmed in behind a lead car so if that's how it'll be = no dice for me.

Any definitive word on what role the lead car will play - i.e. will it try to enforce a speed limit to keep the bunch together or will it allow a hammerfest? Nothing more frustrating than being hemmed in behind a lead car so if that's how it'll be = no dice for me.

Per website
    Cyclists will be able to go at their own level of speed and fitness whatever is comfortable.

I guess with a motorway, there will be at least 3 lanes including the hard shoulder, so it will probably be difficult for them to keep back the "enthusiasts" with a lead car - it will need to go at the pace of the cyclists rather than the other way round

Beasty wrote: »
    Per website

I guess with a motorway, there will be at least 3 lanes including the hard shoulder, so it will probably be difficult for them to keep back the "enthusiasts" with a lead car - it will need to go at the pace of the cyclists rather than the other way round

Unless they get busy road marking between now and the 16th May there is no road markings on either side, just the ugly concrete bollard in the middle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

The majority of it is marked now as far as I can see, certainly down the south of the county.

I'm delighted they've marked Paul's passing with an event in his memory. A fantastically talented and devoted athlete who's sorely missed.

I can't wait for it, I hope its well run and well attended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Just a small reminder for those that might have entered but not read the finer print finely enough (a mistake I made)
    Where do I get my number? You will need to sign on and collect your number in the following ways:
    • At Aisling Group International Offices, CYWS, Fairgreen, Navan during the week prior to the event or
    • At the 'Vortex' Nightclub, County Club, Dublin side of Dunshaughlin, Co. Meath on Saturday evening 15th May 6p.m. til 8p.m. or
    • 16th May 7a.m. til 9.30a.m. at the 'Vortex' Nightclub. There is limited parking at this venue and people are asked to park at the back on the right side when signing on and collecting their number.

Apparently while an info pack will be sent out numbers still need to be collected from Navan/Meath (not handy for those of us from the depths of Munster to get to) - just something to be aware of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

This place is just 3kms from the start, ideal place to park up for the event, and there is a fair amount of parking spots there, a few hundred.

I recommend it highly for a feed afterwards too!!!

CheGuedara wrote: »
    Just a small reminder for those that might have entered but not read the finer print finely enough (a mistake I made)

Apparently while an info pack will be sent out numbers still need to be collected from Navan/Meath (not handy for those of us from the depths of Munster to get to) - just something to be aware of

Had not seen that myself - thanks..

Info pack arrived today, it's basically a copy of the FAQ's from the website and a sponsorship card for the Aisling Group (optional)
    Can anyone tell me whereabouts the Fair Green is in Navan?

CPL 593H

• Advertisement

Signed up for this today - put myself down for 100km but not sure if I will do that or the 55k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭buffalo

My pack arrived today as well. I'm supposed to be at a stag the night before though... might end up doing the 55km as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Can anyone tell me whereabouts the Fair Green is in Navan?
    Coming from Dublin on N3, as you enter the town take first left (R161 on Map) after passing under the old railway bridge which crosses the Boyne (you won't miss it!). Travel about 200 metres and take sharp right (if you miss the turn continue to roundabout and come back!) to Fair Green and offices are just after the entrance to the Church on left. Lots of parking. Sorry tried to embed Google Maps but not working for me :(
    Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

Got my number picked up for me today. (madness having the collection point at the furthest point from the start/finish and only collectable between 10am- 4pm)

Anyone know what the wind/weather forecast is for Sunday?

Lookin forward to cycling on a surface hat should be like glass, I just hope the winds are no too strong, Last year I completed in a 1/2 Ironman where the cycle section was on a closed motorway my max speed heading north was 60km and my slowest average speed per km heading south was 16kmh. Just wondering if Sunday will be a race/spin of two halfs.

Got my number picked up for me today. (madness having the collection point at the furthest point from the start/finish and only collectable between 10am- 4pm)

Anyone know what the wind/weather forecast is for Sunday?

Lookin forward to cycling on a surface hat should be like glass, I just hope the winds are no too strong, Last year I completed in a 1/2 Ironman where the cycle section was on a closed motorway my max speed heading north was 60km and my slowest average speed per km heading south was 16kmh. Just wondering if Sunday will be a race/spin of two halfs.

Dont know about the wind but the forecast is good - dry with sunny spells

Bah. Picked up an infection and I'm currently on antibiotics. Still hope to make it for Sunday.

There's an update on the website saying over 1,000 people have signed on.

Weather update for Sunday (woeful language from met.ie)
    Sunday: The overnight rain is clearing to showers and some sunny spells are developing during the day. Staying relatively cool with top temperatures between 11 to 14 degrees in a northwesterly wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

anyone cycling down from Dublin for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

barrabus wrote: »

I'm cycling all the way from Ratoath to do it;)

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

barrabus wrote: »

I'll be heading from Fairview

• Advertisement
Advertisement