Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thanks button for TCN

Options
  • 03-04-2010 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭

I think The Cuckoo's Nest deserves a thanks button....

There's lots of support for it in this thread!

Gordon said to put a request here:

So can we have it?

Ok, admins and developers, here is my official request for thanks count to be turned off in order for thanks to be allowed in The Cuckoo's Nest! Can we have it??? can we have it??? can we have it??? can we have it????

Edit: Robbing Solitaire's post.....

IMHO its the best of both worlds; show clever posts your appreciation but prevent any thankswhoring aside from the odd n00b who thinks it still counts (oh, how I giggle when I see n00b trolls trying to raise their postcount in tCN and especially the Count thread in order to get access to Soccer...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Fago! wrote: »
    Gordon said to put a request here:
    Actually I didn't say that.
    Gordon wrote: »
    Unless you can ask the developers nicely if they can find a way to switch thanks count off for tCN, it's not going to happen, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...... Very unfair the way we can't have it, but the majority of the other fora on boards.ie can.
    Actually I didn't say that.

Yes you did:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=64854271&postcount=97
    Try dropping a feature request here but I can't promise anything!

Why can't we have it.... ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Hi,

Here would be the main reasons why I feel having the 'thanks feature' in tCN would be a great and really add to the forum overall.

Obviously a the ability to 'thank' posts WITHOUT it affecting our 'thanks stats' is what we would all support.

So, a few positives first:
    • You know your post has been read / seen / agreed with / liked.
    • It helps threads flow.
    • It adds to the atmosphere of a thread.
    Threads get really slow and there's no feedback to suggest that what you are contributing is appreciated, this could put off some users as they might feel if someone hasn't replied to their post, it isn't liked or appreciated.

You could make a joke to someone and as there is no reply, you feel uneasy about continuing, when in fact this could be the complete opposite of what the reality of the situation might be.

It's an odd feeling to post and get no feedback.

For instance, some of the posts on: 'Post a pic to show how you feel.." -- I would like to thank for originality or just simply because they made me laugh.

In the end you either just have to ignore the post or reply +1.

I lurk there quite a bit and so would definitely use the 'thanks' feature if it was there.

I rarely ever post on Music or Films for instance but yet almost live there reading posts and use their 'thanks feature' loads.

I don't want to be posting just for the sake of it which is why I, along with others, are suggesting the 'thanks' feature would be an welcome addition to a good forum.

'Thanks' would add atmosphere also as I have said, this would also lead to more substantial replies.

It's about time the Cuckoo's Nest became the forum that it could be due to the many quality contributors that frequent it.

Why must it regularly be the dumping ground for AH threads?

Surely it is much more than that.

Thanks for your time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Personally I think that some of the posts in TCN are extremely intelligent and witty.
    If they were posted in After Hours or Cool Vids & Pics & Links, people would certainly be showing their appreciation for them.
    I have also noticed from my time in TCN (which is quite a lot) that the posters there are very smart and thoughtful people,
    who certainly wouldn't abuse a feature like a thanks button.

Thanks. (button ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Yes you did:
    Apologies, I quoteposted incorrectly. You insinuated that I said to post here to request thanks be switched on in tCN. That's not what I said. I said that you should request the developers find a way to switch thanks count off for this forum.
    Why can't we have it.... ?
    The same reason that post count is disabled on tCN.

• Advertisement

Why is that?

Why be so tyrannical about the matter? "We say no, end of" We the regulars want it so why ignore our request? It's our forum too, why can't we have a say in it? We've asked nicely.

It would be a welcome addition to TCN as many posters agree.

Ok, admins and developers, here is my official request for thanks count to be turned off in order for thanks to be allowed in The Cuckoo's Nest! Can we have it??? can we have it??? can we have it??? can we have it????

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Fago, you're the OP, can't you edit it and copypaste that statement into the OP? It is the key point of the discussion after all... I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who would only support Thanks For tCN if they didn't count, just like the postcount there.

IMHO its the best of both worlds; show clever posts your appreciation but prevent any thankswhoring aside from the odd n00b who thinks it still counts (oh, how I giggle when I see n00b trolls trying to raise their postcount in tCN and especially the Count thread in order to get access to Soccer... :D)

So developers. What say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

I've contacted the mods. When they come to a decision, I'll implement what they ask for.

Until then, thread locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement