Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Writing and printing of the exam papers?

Options
  • 03-04-2010 12:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

When do they write and print all the leaving cert exam papers?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Not many people would be able to answear that question but most presume in around october and november.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 huy001

That early.I taught they would print them around now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

http://www.examinations.ie/about/Setting%20Manual_rev3.pdf

page 11.... all freely available on the SEC website

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

http://www.examinations.ie/about/Setting%20Manual_rev3.pdf

page 11.... all freely available on the SEC website
    Would there be any advantage to a student reading that d'ya think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Making It Bad

theowen wrote: »

Please read the 112 pages and let us know :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

For papers such as Economics, and to a lesser extent, business, Page 11 of that PDF answer a lot of questions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,229 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Probably not, to be honest, unless you are particularly interested in assessment protocols. Page 11 as pointed out by rainbowtrout and Bob the builder could be useful, in that it shows when the drafts are made, thus ruling out later events from influencing questions.

It is unlikely once a paper goes to translation that any major changes would be made to questions.

None whatsoever. It shouldn't make a difference to students when a paper is written or printed.
    spurious wrote: »
    Probably not, to be honest, unless you are particularly interested in assessment protocols. Page 11 as pointed out by rainbowtrout and Bob the builder could be useful, in that it shows when the drafts are made, thus ruling out later events from influencing questions.

It is unlikely once a paper goes to translation that any major changes would be made to questions.

I agree, seeing as the papers are set early on in the school year it would be unlikely that a topic that was in the news would be on it. A good example of that would be the Haiti disaster. Having said that if a comprehension came up in English or Irish or any of the language papers this year on natural disasters, the perception would probably be that that's where the idea came from when it was more than likely a fluke.

I can think of only a couple of reasons where papers were changed at the last minute. Around the time of my Leaving Cert (mid 90s) a paper was stolen or leaked and the poets on the English paper were changed I think.

I think the Irish paper was changed a couple of years ago after the Navan bus crash because there was something on it about road traffic accidents.

...and of course I'm sure everyone remembers last year's debacle over the English exam but the whole paper was changed in that case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

^ Nice answer rainbow trout, I won't bother listening to my language teachers about preparing current affairs for the written paper then.

This question sounds very suspicious, are you planning to infiltrate the place where they print the papers? :P

H2student wrote: »
    ^ Nice answer rainbow trout, I won't bother listening to my language teachers about preparing current affairs for the written paper then.

This question sounds very suspicious, are you planning to infiltrate the place where they print the papers? :P

:pac: could make a tidy profit i'm sure!!! discount for boardsies!

but getting back to more serious matters, just because the papers were probably set months ago doesn't mean something can't come up, so don't ignore the advice of your teachers just yet. You'll probably need to know that stuff for your orals and as can be seen from that timeline thing, papers can be changed.

Or to be fair, you'd be pretty screwed if you didn't prepare anything and then a paper was changed at the last minute like in English last year.

• Advertisement
Advertisement