Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

San Diego attitudes towards Irish?

Options
  • 03-04-2010 1:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Well lads,

I'm travelling to San Diego on a J1 this summer but i've been put off by feedback i've got regarding the local's attitudes towards the Irish and Irish male students in particular. Was just wondering what experience have previous students (or irish in genral) in San Diego or Southern California regarding the reaction to the Irish. My understanding is that it's a lot different than the likes of Boston and NY and can even be hostile!

Also i've heard that the ladies aren't swooned by our Irish brogues on the west of the US! :(:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

they are very tired of the Irish over there mate. even back in 2008 i was feeling it. dont blame them really. coming back from a night out would see the damage caused by the irish j1ers along pacific and imperial...plus people going to work in the morning dont appreciate the groups coming back flaming from a night in tj. then there is the landlord horror stories. A minority but a vocal one. Basically we used up a hell of a lot of the'omg your irish?' points...

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Shoota

Yep, wasnt made feel the most welcome way back in 05, I believe a cop may have referred to myself and my housemates as a bunch of "Irish Assholes" in fairness, we were making a lot of noise! ;)

San Diego is a great great place though, as is the west coast. If you can do more than one J1 Id definitely go there at least once.

Advertisement