Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pub take-out charge

Options
  • 03-04-2010 1:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭

Jesus H Chripes. Was in a pub on wednesday. I was the designated driver & a buddy asked me to go up to the bar & get some take-out because he thought he would be refused as he'd had a good few.
    I went up & asked. Yup we do bottles. Ok 4 bottles of bud please. Grand.....she comes back with the 4 bottles....16 euro please!!!
    I looked back at the buddy gesturing the amount required expecting him to shake his head & decline the price but no, go ahead?!

I was disgusted personally but paid.

Q: A fair punishment for not having the fore-thought of buying booze from the off-licence or just plain pub greed?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Was fair enough. Its a pub so pub prices. If you bought them at off license prices, who is to say your not just going to sit down in the pub and drink them?that would be handy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Jesus H Chripes. Was in a pub on wednesday. I was the designated driver & a buddy asked me to go up to the bar & get some take-out because he thought he would be refused as he'd had a good few.
    I went up & asked. Yup we do bottles. Ok 4 bottles of bud please. Grand.....she comes back with the 4 bottles....16 euro please!!!
    I looked back at the buddy gesturing the amount required expecting him to shake his head & decline the price but no, go ahead?!

Q: A fair punishment for not having the fore-thought of buying booze from the off-licence or just plain pub greed?
    But were they not charging there normal charge or were they charging more for take out?

If they were charging more then I don't get why.

If they were charging the same then what is the issue? How they can be so sure you are taking the drinks to be consumed away from the pub?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Sounds like they were just charging their normal price for bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

axer wrote: »

If they were charging the same then what is the issue? How they can be so sure you are taking the drinks to be consumed away from the pub?

Because we had put on our coats which usually means patrons are leaving the pub & we left the pub got into my car & went to a flat a few miles away.

Also i clearly said 'do you do take-out?'. ie; do you sell alcohol under the agreement that said goods will be consumed away from this premises.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,990 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

€4 would be cheap for a bottle of Bud in most pubs. What's the fuss?????

• Advertisement

€4 would be cheap for a bottle of Bud in most pubs. What's the fuss?????

Cheap? Really? 4 euros for 330ml of take-out budweiser that costs about a euro per bottle in some major supermarket chains?

Im not expecting great value for take-out beer in a pub but come on? If it was for drinkning in the pub then yes thats the price, you pay for the surroundings & all that but as i said it was a take out request.

Because we had put on our coats which usually means patrons are leaving the pub & we left the pub got into my car & went to a flat a few miles away.

Also i clearly said 'do you do take-out?'. ie; do you sell alcohol under the agreement that said goods will be consumed away from this premises.
    Thats all fine but if I wanted to drink cheaper all night in the pub then I could put on my coat everytime I went to the bar. Get my point?

The pub probably do take out but they dont care where it is consumed as its the same price for them either way.

Imo pubs in Ireland area rip-off anyway but this is no worse than normal.

The pub probably do take out but they dont care where it is consumed as its the same price for them either way.

Well maybe they should care because its these little things that are causing more & more people to not visit their local pub - hence the huge downturn in pub profits.
    Don't get me wrong i have no problem paying 4.50 for a decent pint in a nice pub but having been rewarded with that sort of gesture maybe we'll take our business elsewhere or better still just head to the offie & avoid the pub.

btw just to clarify myself & my 2 buddies are in our late 20's & wouldn't be into carrying out elaborate schemes designed to fool bar staff into thinking we were leaving the pub in order to get drink for a reduced price. FFS! :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 82,520 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If you bought them after 10pm fair enough as this would be after the time of sale for off license and pub should actually not have sold you them and if they did it could only be at pub prices.

If you bought them after 10pm fair enough as this would be after the time of sale for off license and pub should actually not have sold you them and if they did it could only be at pub prices.

A good point. Yes it was after 10pm. But in all fairness its a bit of slap in the face to get charged that amount for 4 bottles of bud when we'd just probably spent the best part of 100 euros between us in the space of 2/3 hours in this particular bar. Never again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,520 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A good point. Yes it was after 10pm. But in all fairness its a bit of slap in the face to get charged that amount for 4 bottles of bud when we'd just probably spent the best part of 100 euros between us in the space of 2/3 hours in this particular bar. Never again.

Yes but to put it properly through the books and though the till it would have to go on as normal pub sale, couldn't have off sale going on the till after 10pm or they would risk losing the license.

Yes but to put it properly through the books and though the till it would have to go on as normal pub sale, couldn't have off sale going on the till after 10pm or they would risk losing the license.

So you think it would still be a fair price if the take-out had been purchased before 10pm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

You dont get money off carry out just because you paid for the drinks you already had though. If they charge a few euros a bottle and people pay it, then why should they drop the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Pubs charge the same whether you're drinking it in the bar or taking it home. I fail to see why you were disgusted. If it was an offie charging that price you'd have a point, but the pub has every right to charge you €4. That is the price of it.

grenache wrote: »
    Pubs charge the same whether you're drinking it in the bar or taking it home. I fail to see why you were disgusted. If it was an offie charging that price you'd have a point, but the pub has every right to charge you €4. That is the price of it.

So you think 4 euro is a great price for a single bottle of bud? because it was take-out I thought the price would be a bit less as we would not be absorbing the thrilling atmosphere contained within the establishment which in all fairness is what you pay for when you get a pint in a pub.

However as someone else explained (a few days ago), because it was well past 10pm the bar staff were possibly legally obliged to sell the beer for pub price.

So you think 4 euro is a great price for a single bottle of bud? because it was take-out I thought the price would be a bit less as we would not be absorbing the thrilling atmosphere contained within the establishment which in all fairness is what you pay for when you get a pint in a pub.

However as someone else explained (a few days ago), because it was well past 10pm the bar staff were possibly legally obliged to sell the beer for pub price.
    Ahh Assumption, the mother of all f'uck-ups.

Look, you could have asked the price before deciding to pay. You didn't. In fact by purchasing the beer at that price you are actually encouraging it to remain at that high price.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

The pubs generally charge its regular prices for take-out? if they charged less then everyone would order take-out and the pub wouldn't make a profit.
    Especially after 10pm, there's no competition with the offies so they can charge what they want

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

But, to be fair, you had the option of staying in said pub and soaking up the 'atmosphere' but you chose not to. They still have every right to charge you €4. The moral of the story is, get to the offie in time the next night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭LeBash

Lucky they didnt charge you more for letting you take it out the door as happens in a few places. Especially after serving hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

This thread is mad, have none of you heard of the concept of takeouts before :confused:
    seanybiker wrote: »
    If you bought them at off license prices, who is to say your not just going to sit down in the pub and drink them?
    ehh, the bouncer/manager/burly barman...
    How they can be so sure you are taking the drinks to be consumed away from the pub?
    I expect you would be barred or thrown out.
    Thats all fine but if I wanted to drink cheaper all night in the pub then I could put on my coat everytime I went to the bar. Get my point?
    If you wanted cheap drink you could smuggle it in, and risk being barred or thrown out in the exact same way.
    grenache wrote: »
    Pubs charge the same whether you're drinking it in the bar or taking it home.
    Not in my experience. I never buy it in pubs as a strict rule as it is always higher, but I have mates who often buy it and they were NEVER charged the same. In my local we get "loans" of bottles of spirits the odd time and just replace them the next day, but we know them well.
    bazkennedy wrote: »
    The pubs generally charge its regular prices for take-out? if they charged less then everyone would order take-out and the pub wouldn't make a profit.
    :confused: if you buy takeout you are not allowed drink it on the premises, thats the whole idea, they would turf you out, have you really not heard of this situation before?

If I went into a chipper with a sit down section which charged more and ordered a fish & chips at the takeaway counter and then went and sat down I would be turfed out in the exact same way. How have you people never heard of this business practise before??

So you think it would still be a fair price if the take-out had been purchased before 10pm?
    I expect this is the reason, but €4 still sounds cheap and possibly was the takeout price. I wonder if they are allowed knowingly do off-sales at all though, i.e. you did specifically tell them they were takeouts, is this not illegal even if it was the same pub price? If they can legally sell them then after 10 they have you buy the balls, so can charge what they want. If it is a city centre pub they probably do not care about return custom.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

rubadub wrote: »
    I wonder if they are allowed knowingly do off-sales at all though
    While a pub licence does entitle the holder to do off-sales, it is also bound by the 10pm rule.

rubadub wrote: »
    I expect you would be barred or thrown out.

If you wanted cheap drink you could smuggle it in, and risk being barred or thrown out in the exact same way.
    Any pub I have been in has any sort of take out services seperate to the main bar. Whether it be a seperate entrance/off-licence or even just a seperate counter.

The op goes to the bar and orders take out after 10pm and then complains that he/she was not given a cheaper price. I don't see the issue here.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Any pub I have been in has any sort of take out services seperate to the main bar. Whether it be a seperate entrance/off-licence or even just a seperate counter.
    I have been in plenty of pubs without separate offies or special counters and have seen drink bought cheaper intended for takeout. I am really astonished that so many of you do not seem to know this goes on.

The op goes to the bar and orders take out after 10pm and then complains that he/she was not given a cheaper price. I don't see the issue here.
    The new issue is that they apparently might have broken the law, by knowingly doing off sales, whether the same price or not. I had no real issue with the price, he knew the price and paid it, the "ripoff ireland" forum is full of crap like that.

I was just pointing out that IME it usually is cheaper and you would not be allowed consume them on the premises, just like in a chipper.

"Ahh Assumption, the mother of all f'uck-ups."
    Give over mr/mrs perfect. :rolleyes:

I paid for the beers because it was for a friend & later he gave me the money for them. Do you get it know?
    If it had been my idea to get the extra booze i would not have bought them once i'd been told the price.

Its not that big a deal, i personally thought it was quite expensive as A i haven't purchased take-out in a pub for a long time & B a bottle of bud in tescos/dunnes isn't far off a quarter of that price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Its not that big a deal, i personally thought it was quite expensive as A i haven't purchased take-out in a pub for a long time & B a bottle of bud in tescos/dunnes isn't far off a quarter of that price.

Why do you keep making this comparison? You weren't in a supermarket you were in a pub. A can of guinness in a supermarket is less than half the price of a pub, but you don't seem to be complaining about the price of all the other drinks you and your friend had the other night. Worse those bottles you're complaining about where probably cheaper up north, but again I don't see you complaining about that. Do you really not see that your comparison is invalid?

I don't really give a toss any more to be honest.

My question was answered. Most people think, yes its a fair price to pay for a bottle of take-out bud.

Fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭Degag

I work in a bar and i may knock a few euro off the overall price of the takeout or throw in a few free mixers or something like that but i would never sell it for off licence prices, or even close to it for that matter. The ammount of expenses that a pub incurs that an offie does not is phenomenal and the fact that you are not consuming them on the premises isn't really our problem. In fact, the pub probably loses profit from the transaction if they were returnable bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Degag wrote: »
    In fact, the pub probably loses profit from the transaction if they were returnable bottles.

True. The only pub I worked in that actually did takeaway (and even then it was only the very odd time) had a rule that you could only give out bottles of non-returnable beer (Corona etc.). There was no discount. Was normal enough practice to give out a bottle of spirits on a "bring us one tomorrow" agreement but only with locals.

Overall it sounds as though the OP got a bit of a discount and was lucky enough (after 10 and all).

Advertisement