Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Instruments rant & rave!

• 03-04-2010 2:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭

I love my mexican tele very very much...BUT, one thing drives me bananas!!

Ya cant quickly switch from the bridge pickup to the neck pickup because while in the bridge setting, the toggle switch is too close to the volume knob so its hard to hook your finger around it to push it into the neck position!!! :mad:

Drives me crazy!!

Anyone else have any??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

king-stew wrote: »
    I love my mexican tele very very much...BUT, one thing drives me bananas!!

Ya cant quickly switch from the bridge pickup to the neck pickup because while in the bridge setting, the toggle switch is too close to the volume knob so its hard to hook your finger around it to push it into the neck position!!! :mad:

Drives me crazy!!

Anyone else have any??

flip the plate! haha, its a standard thing that a lot of people do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Wait what??

But would that not mean that its gonna be just as hard?? the toggle switch is still gonna be basically right beside the volume knob no??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I think Dord means turn it around so that the switch is furthest from the neck!

Yeah, thats what I mean. Turn the plate around so the switch is away from the pickguard. It's a bit more comfortable and may be easier for you to change pickups. Otherwise you could possible wack on an LP style toggle in its place.

Kinda like this...

I think the chap got a blank plate and drilled it.
    IMG_2782.jpg

I dont see what simply turning the plate around would do, the switches will still be on top of each other but i like the toggle switch idea! cheers!

• Advertisement

The tele pickup switch has never really bothered me... Pinch it instead of hooking your finger around it?

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Vomit

That's why they designed the Strat!

El Pr0n wrote: »
    The tele pickup switch has never really bothered me... Pinch it instead of hooking your finger around it?

Cant with a plec in my fingers! Therein lies the problem!

But i love my tele, i suppose even I have my flaws! :P

Cant with a plec in my fingers! Therein lies the problem!

When I change to using a coin, I hold my pick between the folds of skin where my fingers start and my palm, it's quick and comfy enough... Whatever the problem is, it's you, never the Tele ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

get a blank for GFS and put the switches where you like!

use a stacked vol/tone pot or put a les paul three way switch in

• Advertisement

When I change to using a coin, I hold my pick between the folds of skin where my fingers start and my palm, it's quick and comfy enough... Whatever the problem is, it's you, never the Tele ;)

Ah now its not just me!!!

punchdrunk wrote: »
    get a blank for GFS and put the switches where you like!

use a stacked vol/tone pot or put a les paul three way switch in

Thats fenders job!!

Thats fenders job!!

Yes, one day, Leo Fender said to himself, "Hey, this telecaster is mighty uncomfortable, has awkward switches and knob, and could do with some more versatility" Hey then went about fixing those problems

Maybe if someone mailed that clip to him!! :D

So i take it im the only one with a rant then yeah??:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

Thats fenders job!!

those of us who aren't Monkey pawed Knuckle draggers seem to do ok! :D

punchdrunk wrote: »
    those of us who aren't Monkey pawed Knuckle draggers seem to do ok! :D

You all just dont play fast enough is what it is!!!

Vomit wrote: »
    Yes, one day, Leo Fender said to himself, "Hey, this telecaster is mighty uncomfortable, has awkward switches and knob, and could do with some more versatility" Hey then went about fixing those problems

Then why do so many people prefer the Telecaster to the Stratocaster? Neither guitar is 'better' ;)

Yeah i prefer the sound of a tele better, and i have both, but i just cant believe its designed that badly! all they have to do is shift the volume knob down an inch thats all!

Then why do so many people prefer the Telecaster to the Stratocaster? Neither guitar is 'better' ;)

Because they wanna be cool and look retro! The two guitars play exactly the same in my experience. I mean, you can rewire a strat if really want that neck/bridge sound (or purchase one with that config already built in)

I just happen to think that the strat is the most perfectly designed guitar ever.

Vomit wrote: »
    I just happen to think that the strat is the most perfectly designed guitar ever.

Then Leo designed the Jazzmaster so he could make a guitar with a good vibrato system :p

Then Leo designed the Jazzmaster so he could make a guitar with a good vibrato system :p

But failed... the jazzmaster bridge and trem was his worst, and I think he even admitted that.

• Advertisement

Dord wrote: »
    But failed... the jazzmaster bridge and trem was his worst, and I think he even admitted that.

Bridge, maybe, but I love the vibrato. Feels perfect to me. My bridge works perfectly for me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Then floyd rose came and fixed it all. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 888 ✭✭✭quicklickpaddy

I find that the pickup switch is just in the wrong place on fenders! I have a Les Paul, which admittedly doesn't get all that much playing because I just love my strats too much but the pickup switch is in the right place. You can pretty much hit it while you're strumming. With all the Fender ones you have to reach down for it. Also, mid song playing on a Strat it's damn near impossible to get it to the 2nd or 4th position if you're changing quickly. I always hit it too far so it basically means I always play on the neck or the bridge. But thats ok... I f*cking love any Fender on the neck. Especially the Tele... Oh just thinking about it does things to me...

Advertisement