Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best American Beer?

• 03-04-2010 2:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,079 ✭✭✭✭

I think that Dogfish Head 90 Minute Imperial IPA just might be the best tasting American beer that I've tasted. It has the assertiveness of an American and the class of a Belgian.
    Quite a contender!
    Wish I could buy it in Cork!!
    All gone:mad:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Available in Dublin ,not sure what you mean about Belgian though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭restaurants

Bud....
    only joking. Can't imagine how anyone can drink it.

Bud....
    only joking. Can't imagine how anyone can drink it.

An not really America since it brewed here;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Speak Now

oblivious wrote: »
    An not really America since it brewed here;)

Yeah i tried it in the states and it's lke a different beer, almost drinkable :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,079 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

oblivious wrote: »
    Available in Dublin ,not sure what you mean about Belgian though

It has the kind of finesse and quality that I often associate with many Belgian beers as opposed to the often more aggressive style of many Americans.

Eg. Hommelbier is extremely hoppy but the flavours and aromas are very well integrated, rather than 'sitting on top' like some Americans.

Does that make sense?

• Advertisement

It has the kind of finesse and quality that I often associate with many Belgian beers as opposed to the often more aggressive style of many Americans.

Eg. Hommelbier is extremely hoppy but the flavours and aromas are very well integrated, rather than 'sitting on top' like some Americans.

Does that make sense?

ah yea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

Not United States American but from the North American continent, MooseHead, lovely stuff.

I got two varieties of Sierra Nevada in the abbots last year, kellerweisse I think one of them was called. Gorgeous it was :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Black Butte.

Srsly.

/thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

love the sierra nevada torpedo all right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Andrew33 wrote: »
    Not United States American but from the North American continent, MooseHead, lovely stuff.

Yep it's some good stuff. Smells awful though :(

I was really into my Blue Moon there for a while, nice beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Schism wrote: »
    Yep it's some good stuff. Smells awful though :(
    Skunky would be the best word to describe Moosehead! Like a stronger version of Heineken. I like it, but its not as nice as Sam Adams Pale Ale, just a really fruity ale with lovely caramel flavours. My sister brought it back from the States recently and i loved it. Also very fond of their regular Boston Lager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Anchor Steam and Blue Moon for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Youngs Double Chocolate Stout.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭David900

I had Sam Adams a few years ago. It was too long ago to describe the taste but I remember I hadn't had a beer like it before and I quite liked it. Anyone tried it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

David900 wrote: »
    I had Sam Adams a few years ago. It was too long ago to describe the taste but I remember I hadn't had a beer like it before and I quite liked it. Anyone tried it?
    Really didnt like Sam Adams, had to try it when George Hook was bangin on about it all the time. It was so bad it reminded me of bud light and had one of the worst hangovers ever the following day after 6 bottles of the stuff:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭David900

I'd have to try it again to be honest. I normally like stronger tasting beers so I'm not sure what I was thinking. The only other American beer I've tasted apart from ****ty Bud is Keystone, probably cheaper than Dutch Gold, from what I remember it wasn't too bad but I wasn't drinking it for the taste :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Gandhi

I think that Dogfish Head 90 Minute Imperial IPA just might be the best tasting American beer that I've tasted. It has the assertiveness of an American and the class of a Belgian.
    Quite a contender!

Definitely one of my favourites, but I'd still consider it a poor relation to Victory Hop Devil.

Also wanted to let people know that today is VP Day (Victory over Prohibition) in the US. 77 years ago today, Prohibition officially ended. Without this event, none of the US beers being discussed here would exist.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

You can get it delivered.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

From me experience the 60 minute rather than the 90 minute from Dogfishhead is pretty super, Titan IPA is another monster of a beer but I've never seen it on these shores, the general american style IPA is easily my favourite beer "genre" and the most available here is Goose Island IPA and the makes me very happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Anchor Steam Beer, Anchor Liberty Ale, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (had my first taste of their Torpedo tonight... Could be a contender!), Goose Island IPA... Loving the hops at the moment :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭ShumanTheHuman

Brooklyn Black Chocolate stout is amazing but one to savour at 10.6% - this is my first Imperial stout so can't really say how it rates besides its delicious. I never pass on the more quaffable Sierra Nevada Harvest Ale -still a hefty 6.7% but goes down like a sessioner

Brooklyn Black Chocolate stout is amazing but one to savour at 10.6% - this is my first Imperial stout so can't really say how it rates besides its delicious. I never pass on the more quaffable Sierra Nevada Harvest Ale -still a hefty 6.7% but goes down like a sessioner

Brooklyn Black Chocolate is nice alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Had a Blue Moon last night. Bottle conditioned and yet it's very smooth and sleek. Worth a second and third tasting IMO

Hamndegger wrote: »
    Bottle conditioned
    You sure about that?

BeerNut wrote: »
    You sure about that?

It had better be as I'd hate to think where the residue in the bottle has come from:)

Hamndegger wrote: »
    It had better be as I'd hate to think where the residue in the bottle has come from:)
    Oh I'm sure there's some way of getting a stable protein haze without bothering with troublesome live yeast. I went and had a look at the label copy: it really takes misleading to a whole new level. You'd nearly think it wasn't brewed in one of the world's biggest industrial breweries.

Oh I'm sure there's some way of getting a stable protein haze without bothering with troublesome live yeast.

Perish the thought, and to think it went down well :o
    I went and had a look at the label copy: it really takes misleading to a whole new level. You'd nearly think it wasn't brewed in one of the world's biggest industrial breweries.

I didn't follow up on this till you mentioned it; sneaky is all we can say:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

studiorat wrote: »
    Youngs Double Chocolate Stout.
    Is Youngs not English?
    FearDark wrote:
    It was so bad it reminded me of bud light
    You did not just compare Sam Adams to Bud Light!!

• Advertisement

Oh I'm sure there's some way of getting a stable protein haze without bothering with troublesome live yeast.

The is a commerical polyphenol extract from acorns that in use;) and protein But colloidal proteins still play a massive part from the wheat malt

Advertisement