Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dungarvan Brewing Company

• 03-04-2010 8:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭

Has anyone tried this beer?

Where in the city is it available?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

I don't think it has been launched yet, I think it's being launched at the Food Festival in Dungarvan in 2 weeks time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Sorry, I missed this thread.

We're having our launch party in Downey's bar in Dungarvan tomorrow night, Friday the ninth.

Next week we're involved in the Festival of Food, running an Irish craft beer tasting in Quealy's bar.

After that we will be ready to start distributing, so expect the beers in Waterford city by the end of April/start of May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Best of luck with the venture. I'm looking forward to it.

I have a crazy suggestion for when you are up and running:

I was thinking, Waterford is know for its blaas. Before the blaa we were all eating brown bread, until some Huguenots came along with 'blanc' bread which became blaas.

How about a 'blanche' beer like hoegarden or the Paulander called blaa beer?

Thanks.

And all crazy suggestions are taken on board!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

I sampled their "Copper Coast" ale at the beer festival in the Franciscan Well in Cork last weekend. It was very nice. Look forward to having it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I sampled their "Copper Coast" ale at the beer festival in the Franciscan Well in Cork last weekend. It was very nice. Look forward to having it again.

You do know that licking arse won't get you free beer, right? :D

@noby: Any pubs in the city lined up yet or will all that be happening over the next while?

nkay1985 wrote: »
    You do know that licking arse won't get you free beer, right? :D

It never hurts to try!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 towely

i just had all 3 ales.highly recommend it.if you like belgian ales then you will certainly like this.i purchased them in downeys this evening very nice indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

It's stink,just my opinion,try it, it might suit you, and I hope they do well.

nkay1985 wrote: »

@noby: Any pubs in the city lined up yet or will all that be happening over the next while?

It'll be early May before we reach Waterford City. Our website will be kept updated with stockists.

Cheers towely. Hope you had a good night.

marlin vs: Thanks for at least giving them a go.

• Advertisement

towely wrote: »
    i just had all 3 ales.highly recommend it.if you like belgian ales then you will certainly like this.i purchased them in downeys this evening very nice indeed

Did you try the stout?

I'll have to give the 3 a go too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 towely

my favourite was the red ale, then the stout (although the old man didn't really take to this) and then the white beer.the bottles were slightly expensive at 4.40 which i think to most people would be a tad much but i'll try and support something irish and i wish them luck.
    its amasing for such a natian considered to be big drinkers how we don't have more irish beers. most bars are full of gassy carlsberg,heineken muck etc.. and very little other options

Is it 330ml bottles?

I think its ok for a local craft beer. I'd much rather give my money to the Dungarvan lads than to the Belgians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

dayshah wrote: »

I think its ok for a local craft beer. I'd much rather give my money to the Dungarvan lads than to the Belgians.
    I'll have to agree with that, and there's nothing better than supporting you'r own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 oddwire

Hi,

I'm involved in the brewery with Noby, just wanted to say thanks for the support here!

Regarding the price, we are basically pitching it to pub owners as a premium beer and to charge what they would for something like an Erdigner-type beer. Our bottles are 500ml. Obviously what bar owners charge will vary from pub to pub but it should be on a par with other quality beers.

Anyone interested in the Irish craft beer scene should consider attending the craft beer seminar in Dungarvan this Saturday. A guest speaker from www.irishcraftbrewer.com will be talking about the Irish brewing industry and explaining the different styles of beer. There will be tastings of a wide range of Irish beers (at least 10) from several breweries. Tickets are available from the festival of food website.

Again, thanks for the support and we'll keep ye updated on stockists in Waterford, both on our website and Facebook page!

You probably thought of it already, but you might try sell to Ardkeen Stores and Superquinn. They make a big issue about how they support local suppliers, so it might be an opening.

(I'd know I'd like to buy a few off-licence to give to friends abroad)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭PWR

the red is lovely, the blonde should be served room temp., which is warmer than many would like, but its also very nice. Watch out, its also 4.9 ABV, could sneak up behind you ;)

how about off sales for this? At E4.40 in pubs no-ones going to be taking it home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Thanks lads for a really enjoyable event last Saturday, the beers surprised me with their quality and taste. It's criminal that Bud does so well here, it's tasteless compared to this stuff.

Driving around Europe in the summer, really want to get my hands on some bottles to bring with me to show friends abroad what Ireland has to offer. If and when they're available in off-licences, please post here!

Cheers, PWR. The bottles should be in off-licences in the next month. It'll be on our website, but I can post here when we get to Waterford city.

wellbutty, glad you enjoyed it. So did I!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭JPA

noby wrote: »
    Cheers, PWR. The bottles should be in off-licences in the next month. It'll be on our website, but I can post here when we get to Waterford city.

wellbutty, glad you enjoyed it. So did I!

Hope you get World Wide Wines to stock it. Maybe that's obvious to you but they must have over a hundred beers in stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

They are available in Tommy Power's Off License in Dungarvan, have two testers here for myself this evening - might be taking a few more up to a christening next week up north !

Bumpity bump.

The beers are now available in Ardkeen Stores in Waterford. I'm sipping some "Copper Coast" as I type. I have a bottle of "Helvick Gold" in the fridge for later. Pretty good deal on as well out in Ardkeen, 2 bottles for £5.

It really is nice beer. I'll have no problem supporting this local microbrewery!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Might pick up a few at that price for the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

I'd like to try it out, though I'll never be out Ardkeen way to buy some, hopefully some city centre and Tramore off licenses will sell it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

do they have a web site?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

Does anyone have any pics of d beer ? what percent is it?

Shams wrote: »
    do they have a web site?

Yes, www.dungarvanbrewingcompany.com

Does anyone have any pics of d beer ? what percent is it?

Here are the pictures of the empty bottles. Couldn't wait to finish them!

various001large.jpg
    various002large.jpg

The "Copper Coast" is 4.3% ABV and "Helvick Gold" is 4.9%.

Both lovely beers. Some of the best I've tasted actually. Very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Can anyone give me the low down on the beers, Is there much difference with normal beers? if so what is it?

Im mad to get away from the normal beers after drinking the stuff in the continent, the stuff is lovely!
    No hangover at all where normally id be like the walking dead for 24 hours after a few drinks.

jayboi wrote: »
    Can anyone give me the low down on the beers, Is there much difference with normal beers? if so what is it?

Im mad to get away from the normal beers after drinking the stuff in the continent, the stuff is lovely!
    No hangover at all where normally id be like the walking dead for 24 hours after a few drinks.

Well of the three beers that Dungarvan do, two are ales and one is stout. So if you normally drink lager than they would be very different.

The "Copper Coast" is a red ale. It has a smooth texture and a slightly sweet, caramel taste in my opinion.

The "Helvick Gold" is a blonde ale and seems to have a more bitter taste than the other one, but is still very nice.

I have yet to taste the stout.

I'll have to buy more bottles to get a real feel for the taste of the beer though! (excuse to buy beer!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

World wide wines have all 3 beers in stock.

Advertisement