Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoked for 40yrs because it was there.

Options
  • 03-04-2010 9:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Appears that way. There's a long story but I'll condense it.
    Basicly, I never tried before. I did all the listening, reading, preparing for a quit day. Well that was on the 8th of Mar past and I didn't have any withdrawal problems, maybe a little sleep. My doc gave me a weeks worth of patches and gum. I wore the patches and tried a couple gum, don't like em. Now I'm wondering what all the fuss is about. That was it, my cravings are non existent now and candy before. I've been taking effexor for a yr and doubled the dose before for a mo but now back down. So I'm choked so many people have such a hard time. So for all of you that are trying everything I also know my quit was also influenced by one other factor, I smoked hand rolled Players tobacco. The addiction is in the filters for the rest of you. Peace.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Good for you. Fair play.

I "went off" them for a few weeks 3 weeks ago. Lasted a fortnight, after which I succumbed and now back on them, albeit now smoking rollies. For me, I found it getting harder as each day passed.

For me, the Nicorette patches were a waste of time - didnt' feel any different with or without them.

I'm going to try again overcome this affliction, but might try Champix pills which I saw mentioned in the Giving Up Smoking forum (maybe that's where this thread belongs?).

I have been told before that the cigs you buy prerolled are full of various chemicals which apparently increase addiction (as opposed to handrolling tobacco), and even chemicals to keep the cig from extinguishing itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Moved to Giving Up Smoking from Smoking.

HB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

Now I'm wondering what all the fuss is about.

Great that you have found it so pain-free. I certainly didn't. I do think deciding to give up is the easy part, it's actually STAYING quit that poses the challenge. The thing is to never become complacent about it. I'm actually really glad I went through physical pain/emotional melt-down/weight-gain/sleeplessness and a number of other side effects. It makes having to do it again a HORRIBLE prospect indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 patrick74

Find it very hard to quit.damn things:o

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭midlouth

Listen to Allen Carr. Thought the biggest thing was not panicking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement