Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coup d'Etat

• 03-04-2010 10:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭

Just when the country is in severe need of a coup d'etat by the military the Commander-in-Chief of the Defence Forces Lt. Gen. Dermot Early is retiring for health reasons as per the Indo. A bit of a conincidence if you ask me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

the drug gangs in dublin/limerick and cork are better armed than Irish defence force.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭derry

Last weeks 40 Billion plus raping and pilage of the Irish economy by the Rotchilds means soon the retired will find no funds there for them
    He should have done the Coup before he retired

Derry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

The irish havent a set of balls to stand up for themselves. We,re to busy drinking in pubs talking about it. Me included.

But i did think at one stage the army would do something because whats going on is beyond belief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Why do you think the army is kept so weak?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

1st wrote: »

True

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Things are no where near bad enough yet to motivate the public let alone the army to do anything at all.
    Any General trying a coup d'etat will probably find themsleves in guantanamo or on the Americans terrorist watch list etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Lab_Mouse

Well its a defence force so the need for a standing army like the british,french or the states is unnessary.

Their were documents released after the 25 year time period by the state that in the case of invasion(think it had to do with the crisis up the north in late 60's)a hit and run guerilla warfare would be the best tactic(ironicaly exactly what the PIRA done).

Dont think the reason the army was kept weak was to stop coup detat's.A bit more boring but there you have it:D

Think I have the link to the documents on my laptop so will post a link if anyone wants it.Interesting reading

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭coach23

Lab_Mouse wrote: »
    Well its a defence force so the need for a standing army like the british,french or the states is unnessary.

Their were documents released after the 25 year time period by the state that in the case of invasion(think it had to do with the crisis up the north in late 60's)a hit and run guerilla warfare would be the best tactic(ironicaly exactly what the PIRA done).

Dont think the reason the army was kept weak was to stop coup detat's.A bit more boring but there you have it:D

Think I have the link to the documents on my laptop so will post a link if anyone wants it.Interesting reading

id like to see those id heard about it before always wondered about the source though considering the size of our army the tactics made sense

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Just when the country is in severe need of a coup d'etat by the military the Commander-in-Chief of the Defence Forces Lt. Gen. Dermot Early is retiring for health reasons as per the Indo. A bit of a conincidence if you ask me.

No its because he's genuinely ill, and has been for quite a while. He is a great man, who has served his country proud for the last 45 years, and personally as I know the man well I find it offensive that you suggest he's part of some conspiracy.

As for the defence forces being less equipped than the gangs in Limerick and Dublin. I realise that, that comment was probably tongue in cheek, but its ludicrous. I would say that at an extremely, extremely conservative estimate, criminals would have less than 1% the capacity of the defence forces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭DeBunny

What makes you think the Irish army would ever rise up against the government?
    Where are you getting the idea that this would be even remotely possible?
    What makes you think this would be a good thing even if it were to happen? Military coups are disastrous for the population of the country involved.
    It's not a coincidence at all. Never mind it being a conspiracy. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

The Army take every wed afternoon off! Best time for an invasion I reckon.

DeBunny wrote: »
    Military coups are disastrous for the population of the country involved.
    And just when things were going so well for us...
    studiorat wrote: »
    The Army take every wed afternoon off! Best time for an invasion I reckon.
    Or any day after 4:30pm.

69 wrote: »
    And just when things were going so well for us...

Yeah, I'm sure our international credit rating under a military junta would improve dramatically. :rolleyes:

wednesday off
    some units, not all, have wednesday afternoons as a time for sports recreation. It means rather than military training they can go run/play football/ golf etc.

No one in an operational office gets this off, no one on a duty gets this off. So essentially about 50% of some units in the DF have a wednesday afternoon for sport. Its not a defence force wide policy, its at a unit CO's discretion.
    Or any day after 4:30pm.

Yes because they should have to work 24/7, 365. Although they are on call every hour of their career.

Hands up here who has worked for 96 hours in a row? Who here can spend up to 2yrs away from home in a ****hole desert? Who has consistently been paid the lowest wages in the public sector? Who has been one of the few departments that truly did undergo a transformation as part of their towards 2016 agreements? Who is the only sector of the public sector who has reduced their numbers in the last 10 years, whilst increasing their workload? etc. etc.

As for the OP, a military junta would be a disaster! Why anyone would want one I have no idea. Although I reckon I'd make a better stab at minister for finance than our current one.

yekahs wrote: »
    Although I reckon I'd make a better stab at minister for finance than our current one.
    Go for it.

Go for it.

Can't, have to wait til my military contract expires before I can join a political party! :pac:

Although in a few weeks time I'll have an economics degree, so who know.... watch this space :pac::P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭suey71

Minister for Economics and Minister for Defence.:D.

yekahs wrote: »

Hands up here who has worked for 96 hours in a row?

\o/

fwiw I wasn't having a go. Always thought it was funny, invade on a Wed afternoon and stay away from golf courses!

Take over the Media, TV, Radio and tell the people to start celebrating!
    "Congratulations, people of Ireland! You are free from the oppression of the Global Elites! ".

Who's with me?

I can't make this Wednesday but maybe the week after. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

o/ 96 Hours+ Catchin 10 minutes of sleep here and there.

I would say tho that after about 50 hours straight the work practice slacks a bit.

The first 48 hours of a Coup would be the easy part, incite crowd to rise against the Corrupt and inept government, that'd be fun, I'd be on for that, its the what comes next bit that I'm not so sure about, Doing Something Both Different & Better for the People of Ireland.

So before we Rise up, what do we actually WANT?????????????

• Advertisement

A government owned monetary system(without the interest for printing) and out of the eu for good please :)

Torakx wrote: »
    A government owned monetary system(without the interest for printing) and out of the eu for good please :)

Why quit the EU??????

Why not move on from fixing Ireland to Fixing Europe.

One step at a time :)
    Unless you propose we rise up against the eu aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭red herring

We're pretty into our risings in this country.. I think we're long overdue one.. Take down the goverment and storm the dail.

Ah shur why not, I think a properly run EU would be a great thing.

the problem as I see it is, There is no point in Just risin Against the current Government and Economic systemUtterFeckinMadness UNLESS we can provide a viable alternative that the people accept as being Right and Better and in THEIR best interest.

So apathy wins out for a bit longer:(

THis is a thread that popped up in Politics, I think it ties in with this a bit

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055874282
    moonpurple wrote: »
    it is 2011 and the boards candidate returned by the voters of Dublin south is in a unique position to bring in either a FG+LAB administration or an alternative FF+Greens+SF+others administration:)

perhaps suggest some suggestions for inclusion in his/her 10 demands:

1. Convert senate and its salary budget to provide a children's science museum
    2. 2 points for smoking in cars with a child present
    3. Dynamic Internet record of all donations to political parties
    4. mandatory sentence for illegal gun possession
    5. any state salary pauses any existing other state payment, pension etc.,
    6. striking a child is now to be included in existing assault legislation
    7. pass the law to allow the state health inspectorate HIQE go to any childrens residential facility rather than some, currently
    8. no new car for private use can be sold without technology limiting maximum speed to maximum legal speed limit from 2013
    9. all expenses paid from state funds paid only with receipts, beginning with elected representatives
    10. put the 'children first' state guidelines into the statute book

see its the Ten Points bit that causes the Problems, We all want change, We can all agree about a few things, but mostly its te little things that divide us, the LIZZZZZZZARDS;) know this and so they play it against us.

Before we unite around a common cause We have to know what that cause is, Modern Professional politics is just Smoke and Mirors, we need to get at the root cause of the problems.

Dont we all agree by now its because we are a slave to the monetary system?
    Well i dont believe its the whole cause as somebody had to create it and uphold the status quo.
    But if Ireland created its own currency which doesnt require our country to pay interest to an outside party on every Punt or whatever we create then there wont be a negative deficit on the first note printed.
    This means the government would not have there allegiances so strong to the banks who create the money and demand interest back.
    We would all have enough money and all that tax we pay would actually go to our people and infastructure as appose the pockets of bankers in other countries.
    Our national debt is always going to go up as they bail out the banks and it goes on the Irish peoples tab because that bailout comes from foriegn money printers and we owe interest on each new note added to our economy.
    So if the banks in this new Irish currency needed money the Irish gov would issue it meaning all taxes could actually build up for saving or pay old Irish debts or go back into our infastructure to create more bussinesses and exports.
    At the moment our taxes dont pay off a debt because the bankers are crippling our country so we need to bail out the banks and thus owe even more money to them while the euro inflates.
    When it inflates enough i guess that is when we will have an economic crash and a new currency will arrive to restart the game of monopoly.

Maybe im wrong but i believe it would be better than the slavery we are locked into today.

Ps. Its been a while since i looked at the politics forum but after seeing that thread i remember why i dont bother.Its ridiculous, for me i hear more political savy in the CT forum.That is how i ended up here btw.I participated in the Lisbon treaty discussion got ran off for saying how it was and found a bit more reality here.Sounds insane and looks like im a paranoid schitz but if the truth lies here and the facts are telling me so what am i to do.

Well yeah, but some are in deeper than others
    Well i dont believe its the whole cause as somebody had to create it and uphold the status quo.
    WE Create it, and we maintain it by our Belief in the concept of money, we need it to Grease the Wheels
    But if Ireland created its own currency which doesnt require our country to pay interest to an outside party on every Punt or whatever we create then there wont be a negative deficit on the first note printed.
    One of the little loopholes in the Maastrichts treaty was that all old Punts were Legal tender indeffinitley, so by that rational you couls already try this, but how many other nations will trade wit you in Punts?
    This means the government would not have there allegiances so strong to the banks who create the money and demand interest back.
    We would all have enough money and all that tax we pay would actually go to our people and infastructure as appose the pockets of bankers in other countries.
    Essentially all that is neede to stop this kind of Carry on is to get rid of the current Government and civil services etc and make a clean sweep with much more regulated control on Contributions and conflict of interest.
    Our national debt is always going to go up as they bail out the banks and it goes on the Irish peoples tab because that bailout comes from foriegn money printers and we owe interest on each new note added to our economy.
    The Bailouts and the NAMA thing are utter maddness alright but the ECB is not the FED
    So if the banks in this new Irish currency needed money the Irish gov would issue it meaning all taxes could actually build up for saving or pay old Irish debts or go back into our infastructure to create more bussinesses and exports.
    Ya See thats kinda how its meant to work alright, but Cronyisim and 'PorkBellying' and general CuteHoorisim seem to be ingrained in the Irish Political psyche to such an extent that Yer a Great Man if ya can screw the 'Government' outa a few Mil in GrantAid
    At the moment our taxes dont pay off a debt because the bankers are crippling our country so we need to bail out the banks and thus owe even more money to them while the euro inflates.
    +1
    When it inflates enough i guess that is when we will have an economic crash and a new currency will arrive to restart the game of monopoly.

I think were at a slowpoint in the rollout of a Single global currency, The infrastructure is now in place so they will sit back and wait til We Demand a single currency. we have it in all but name with Creditcards etc
    Maybe im wrong but i believe it would be better than the slavery we are locked into today.
    <hippy> Your only a slave in your mind MaaaaaaaaN </Hippy> :P
    Ps. Its been a while since i looked at the politics forum but after seeing that thread i remember why i dont bother.Its ridiculous, for me i hear more political savy in the CT forum.That is how i ended up here btw.I participated in the Lisbon treaty discussion got ran off for saying how it was and found a bit more reality here.Sounds insane and looks like im a paranoid schitz but if the truth lies here and the facts are telling me so what am i to do.
    tis the Sad and Sorry truth of it Alright ;)

Where is this slavery you speak of? People are more free than they have ever been. I think your concept of slavery is extremely abstract. I don't see any bull whips or shackles. Any slavery found in Europe today is self inflicted. No one was forced to buy 100% mortgages or run up a credit card debt.
    As fun as it would be to have a violent revolution I don't see any one that deserves the guillotine. A good slap maybe, but not beheading or a firing squad. Thanks to the current economic system, with a bit of tenacity you can do basically any thing you want.

The system didn't fail us, our government did and ergo we failed ourselves. A public be-slapping of Bertie and his cronies on the steps of the Dail, now that's a revolution I'd join :D.

Look at the likes of Sweden and Finland. They have pretty much the same system and they have the closest thing to a utopian society we've ever seen. (Apart from the cold and dark, but no violent coup will change that.)

As for the government creating and printing all the money, this is known as communism and has failed every time. It gives the government too much power and leads to genuine slavery.
    Seriously though, we are more free now than we have ever been! Even prison these days is pretty cushty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Pixel8

Where is this slavery you speak of? People are more free than they have ever been. I think your concept of slavery is extremely abstract. I don't see any bull whips or shackles. Any slavery found in Europe today is self inflicted. No one was forced to buy 100% mortgages or run up a credit card debt.
    As fun as it would be to have a violent revolution I don't see any one that deserves the guillotine. A good slap maybe, but not beheading or a firing squad. Thanks to the current economic system, with a bit of tenacity you can do basically any thing you want.

The system didn't fail us, our government did and ergo we failed ourselves. A public be-slapping of Bertie and his cronies on the steps of the Dail, now that's a revolution I'd join :D.

Look at the likes of Sweden and Finland. They have pretty much the same system and they have the closest thing to a utopian society we've ever seen. (Apart from the cold and dark, but no violent coup will change that.)

As for the government creating and printing all the money, this is known as communism and has failed every time. It gives the government too much power and leads to genuine slavery.
    Seriously though, we are more free now than we have ever been! Even prison these days is pretty cushty.

DeBunny, you obviously haven't seen "The Secret Of Oz" yet, i'd highly recommend it!

Pixel8 wrote: »
    DeBunny, you obviously haven't seen "The Secret Of Oz" yet, i'd highly recommend it!

Haven't seen it but, I'm well aware of all the CTs. None of them have convinced me I'm a slave. I've seen a few CT videos that ''expose the elite'' when all they're doing is explaining basic economic principles with a scary voice-over and dramatic music. '' oooh interest rates! duhn duhn DUHN! Be afraid!!!''
    People are free to do as they please and this has never been truer than it is today. Ireland isn't in the **** because of a global conspiracy but, because the Irish people allowed it to happen and continually voted in the same gobdaws.

Seriously, where are the bull whips and shackles? Freedom of movement, knowledge, speech and economy is at an all time high.
    Listening to the doom merchants is just an excuse to stay in bed and not bother.

Hmm some good points.
    Isnt communism where everything is shared?
    Thats not what i was talking about.
    Im talking about changing the allegiance of the government to itself and country as appose to the current system where allegiance is to the banks who create and control the money from what i see.
    As for the debt currently owed i believe according to the law its fraudulant and not applicable once we leave that system.
    But imo realistically it wont work because there are people who have enough power over the media to convince the rest of the world that its a terrorist coup or something like that.
    You would probably see news reports that terrorists are trying to take over our country and we need foriegn aid to maintain stability etc etc.

The system doesn't need such a drastic overhaul. The people under the system just need some cop-on and to stop being so greedy and self serving. Hopefully this recession will be the much needed kick up the arse.

The people under the system just need some cop-on and to stop being so greedy and self serving.
    The people under the system? What about the people responsible for running the system?

The people under the system? What about the people responsible for running the system?

That would be us. They're the same thing. A population gets the government it deserves

• Advertisement

Nobody deserves these crooks.

The people under the system cannot effect a change while keeping the current system....
    How do you stop inflation when every time you put money out into the economy or bail out a bank you owe a % of that back instantly.
    More money equals more debt so really i feel this system is really really flawed and i doubt that was a mistake.
    The word recession is bandied about alot and i feel silly using it when talking about this creature everyone calls The Economy.
    If we could only harness this economy instead of being a slave to its mystical powers.
    Or maybe its not mystical O.o maybe there is a person or two who understands and manipulates it or is that a CT worthy of a few laughs?

How do you stop corruption in politics when the politicians are honoured or so they pretend to be, to pay interest to their money suppliers.
    Id rather the government pays our politicians and the taxes we pay go to Ireland instead of elsewhere.

At the moment we are 500 millin euro or so away from 80,000,000,000 euros of debt thats 80 billion!
    That is what the current system can do for us.
    Anyone ready to try something else yet or shall we wait for 200 billion and all properties owed to the large banks who owe their allegiance to outside lenders?

Anyone thinking this can all be sorted out by hoping politicians will change things is deluding themselves.
    We have been in debt ever since we introduced the Pyramid Monetary System. lol just realised were all suffering from pms :P
    nvm the economy is an uncontrollable beast its just my pms acting up.

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

Military coups are disastrous for the population of the country involved.
    Not in Romania...

Not in Romania...

Yeah cause Romania is such a success story. :rolleyes:

I'm still not convinced we're slaves, or that Ireland needs a coup, or that military coups are a good idea, or that Ireland didn't get what it deserved.

This detachment between the elite and the people is an illusion fostered by those in control and swallowed by a generally gullible populace.
    People are innately free and can create what ever system they want to live under. The Irish population as a whole created this mess by voting in FF and by not creating a valid alternative.

• Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

Yeah cause Romania is such a success story. :rolleyes:

Whats with the :rolleyes:??

Simple question: Romania, more specifically Romanians better off...
    • With Caeucescu?
    • Without Caeucescu?
    • Just the same?

• Advertisement

Ya have ta look at Romania in Context to get a proper understandin, twas the fall of the Soviet Empire, and cos he was one of the worst he got one of the nastiest endings, we're still not at that critical mass of people required for such a Massive global upheaval YET:eek:

Whats with the :rolleyes:??

Simple question: Romania, more specifically Romanians better off...
    • With Caeucescu?
    • Without Caeucescu?
    • Just the same?

Agreed, but if you think things are bad in Ireland now. Romania in 1993 had about 350% inflation Caeucescu went in 1989 btw.

I think things are only getting started in Ireland.When this NAMA thing fails we will be put with a bill and then another recession as we make more cuts to pay more interest to more people.
    I only hope it happens sooner than later because future generations will suffer more the longer and more we drag this debt out.

Advertisement