Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SGU 1x11 "Space" [SPOILERS]

Options
  • 03-04-2010 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭

9bb40e5467dc289669472b5a5430e84.jpg
    When the communication stones malfunction and transport Young's consciousness to an unknown alien vessel, the crew of the Destiny reveal themselves to a powerful race.

What did you think of SGU 1x11 "Space"? 63 votes

Lt. Boobs!
    0%
    Stones in good episode shocker
    68%
    suttyD-GenerateMemnochThe_BullmanScruffMr Estereo_steveCivilServantCatsmokinpotixoyRichard DowerRaphaelmadrabKiithSherifuNukemFGRsiodaalastair_doomOwen 43 votes
    Ba'al
    15%
    VolvagiasomujPeaceDiddy KongDingChavezRon DMCAuversAlso Starring LeVar BurtonTheKellswyrn 10 votes
    Convenient plot devices
    11%
    Sir Digby Chicken CaesarManach[Deleted User]SarncotwoldJames74hare05 7 votes
    McGruber
    4%
    Simidemansmellslikeshoes 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

What a freaken great ep. If peoples gripes was that there wasn't enough action, then this ep makes up for it!!

LOL at the "I can hear you bit

Wasn't sure if I heard right when young said "Fire the main weapon" But who would have though it.... a big honk'en space cannon!

Great ep over all, and the aliens looked pretty cool too. Hope there is more of them and others to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

absoulty fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Really good episode, liked the pacing & continuing feud between young and rush

and also Lt. Boobs!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

Loved the new aliens, wonder what their agenda is. Though Lt. Boobs was dead no?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

Ba'al
    Finally dem peebles being put to good use :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Very good stuff! Lots of action and plenty of arcs moved forward.

What's with the stones then? We've seen them drop people out suddenly (leading to some awkward moments) and now they get caught up with nearby aliens. I'm wondering is this leading somewhere? Given they were openly questioning them this week, I reckon we'll be hearing more about them.

The aliens were interesting, although when Chloe woke up first, I thought they were going for something really original and have them water-based in some form.
    So what do they know about the Destiny? Obviously they extracted some information from Rush but do they know more than this?

Lots of pretty space battles too!

Not sure who is more deceitful - Young or Rush. Rush's revolution could be interesting too - we've seen the scientists resentful before, but this seems to be more of a hardcore element. Maybe building this for the season finale.

ASIDE: Finally, for the first time, my boyfriend and I watched a new episode together. He's been playing catchup for the last two years and has only recently finished the 10 SG1, 3SGA, 2 DVD movies, 1 theatrical movie, and 0.5 of an SGU season that he needed to get to to watch the show with me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

McGruber
    Thought it was a bit "meh" to be honest. I really think they could have done better with Rush being left stuck on a planet, they didn't explore the fact he was there and anything he done while being there.

The aliens just seem like a poorly writen plot device to get Rush back to the crew as quickly as possible so things can go back to the status quo.
    Young randomly getting swapped with one of the aliens while using the stones is bordering on Deus ex machina.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Loved this episode, was a lot more action packed than I expected. Caught me by surprise that the Rush being stranded storyline was ended so abruptly. Lots of interesting things in this episode; The stones being weird, the aliens, mutiny on the horizon, Rush getting back. I think i'm right in saying it was these aliens that detached from Destiny in the first half of the season.
    ixoy wrote: »
    He's been playing catchup for the last two years and has only recently finished the 10 SG1, 3SGA, 2 DVD movies, 1 theatrical movie, and 0.5 of an SGU season that he needed to get to to watch the show with me!
    Impressive.

The aliens just seem like a poorly writen plot device to get Rush back to the crew as quickly as possible so things can go back to the status quo.
    I would have thought the aliens completely upset the status quo - they're a new threat out there to the crew. Now it's not going to be just about their internal squabbling.
    Young randomly getting swapped with one of the aliens while using the stones is bordering on Deus ex machina.
    I'm assuming there's a reason for this, just like with the glitch we saw before when peopel temporarily swapped out.

McGruber
    I would have thought the aliens completely upset the status quo - they're a new threat out there to the crew. Now it's not going to be just about their internal squabbling.

I was just thinking about editing my post to clear up what I meant there when you posted :pac:
    You're right, in the long run they will, but having them appear on this episode and without any scenes of Rush on the planet it just seemed like a easy way to get rush back immediately and conviently without having to go too deep into it.
    I'm assuming there's a reason for this, just like with the glitch we saw before when peopel temporarily swapped out.

Yea I'm sure they will come up with a reason but it really did seem like a contrived plot device.

One thing I will say about the episode is I liked how different the aliens were than humans.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Dame fine Ep. that is all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

Best episode yet :D

You're right, in the long run they will, but having them appear on this episode and without any scenes of Rush on the planet it just seemed like a easy way to get rush back immediately and conviently without having to go too deep into it.
    Part of me's hoping there's more to this too. Perhaps the reason we didn't see Rush's capture is because there's something more to it, something we're not meant to know yet. Perhaps Rush reached some sort of understanding with the aliens?
    I could of course be completely stretching here!One thing I will say about the episode is I liked how different the aliens were than humans.
    Yeah, I wonder what their culture is? Speaking of Culture, I'm reading "Matter" where there are really alien aliens. Wouldn't work on TV though!

McGruber
    Nvm just realised it was quoting mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Part of me's hoping there's more to this too. Perhaps the reason we didn't see Rush's capture is because there's something more to it, something we're not meant to know yet. Perhaps Rush reached some sort of understanding with the aliens?

Yeah, I wonder what their culture is? Speaking of Culture, I'm reading "Matter" where there are really alien aliens. Wouldn't work on TV though!
    Yeah most of banks's aliens are really, non pun intented, alien

:confused::confused: I didn't write that?
    Quote tag accident i'd guess.

McGruber
    Sherifu wrote: »
    Quote tag accident i'd guess.

Yea realised it just after I posted :o

Not sure what direction they could go with these aliens, they just seem too different for them to be a major part of the series. Maybe that is the point though so they can concentrate on the main characters rather than alien space battles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

You could've knocked a good five minutes off the running time of that episode and not missed anything essential.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭somuj

Ba'al
    Fenster wrote: »
    You could've knocked a good five minutes off the running time of that episode and not missed anything essential.

You could knock half of all programs and films off and still not miss anything either :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Great episode. What a way to resume the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,354 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Very good epsiode.

Young's character is getting more and morally obscure by the minute. He was willing (in my mind) to destroy the other ship and Chloe just to keep Rush a secret.

Very good stuff altogether.

Why is LT boobs crying?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

noodler wrote: »
    Why is LT boobs crying?
    I'm guessing because the guy she was talking about at the start, while talking behind eli with the kino on the monitor, said he didn't want to get in there ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,354 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Seems kind of a leap for us to assume that the hot Scarlett Johansson Doctor passed on that info though!

Music from the episode:

I think Lt. Boobs was lonely and/or realising she could have died in the corridor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I'd describe this episode as: BOOBS!!!!!!!!!!

My god they are HUGE....and her nipples?!!, if she's wearing a bra and they stick out that much they must be like a silver dollar!

I have nothing else to add :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,387 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The Season 1.5 Preview showed Rush on a Lab Bed being held down screaming "What are you trying to do to me!"

Its safe to assume it will be explored, later.

I also happen to have my doubts that Rush didn't learn more than he let on while on the ship.

This was an awesome episode to get back into it with. Wonder how they'll keep playing it out, but it seems like they did Right by using the early episodes as a foundation for all the cool **** later on.

"Thats not a translation.."

As for the very very end of the episode, I think Rush doesn't seriously want to invoke an insurrection on the ship. More than likely he just wants to make sure he's in the position to deal with it when it inevitably occurs. Right now he's not diametrically opposed to the Military or the Civilians. And He and Young I think genuinely reached the understanding that they need to cooperate or die.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Very good stuff! Lots of action and plenty of arcs moved forward.

What's with the stones then? We've seen them drop people out suddenly (leading to some awkward moments) and now they get caught up with nearby aliens. I'm wondering is this leading somewhere? Given they were openly questioning them this week, I reckon we'll be hearing more about them.

I'm going with the stones interference was from the aliens mind probe devices and maybe a proximity to Destiny. I had the feeling its was the same alien that Young linked with twice. Maybe one that was probing both Rush and Cloe.

Not sure who is more deceitful - Young or Rush. Rush's revolution could be interesting too - we've seen the scientists resentful before, but this seems to be more of a hardcore element. Maybe building this for the season finale.
    Neather man, its freaken Camille thats the most deceitful. That I did not see coming at all now.
    ASIDE: Finally, for the first time, my boyfriend and I watched a new episode together. He's been playing catchup for the last two years and has only recently finished the 10 SG1, 3SGA, 2 DVD movies, 1 theatrical movie, and 0.5 of an SGU season that he needed to get to to watch the show with me!

1...2...3.... awwww ;) Not picking on your post, just had the best questions in it :)

I woke my misses up at 9 getting up.. dont think she was happy :D

Was the first ep I didn't wait up till 4am to see. Which I regret, it was a fantastic ep. The action was top notch and Young finding Rush alive I think worked nicely. As said before I do think we will be seeing more of Rush's "abduction". I am guessing its was more Rush making an alliance with them.

Something I have not seen anyone comment on is the fact that these are the aliens we seen in the end of Air part 3. Meaning they have been on Destiny since before the Humans. As Rush said, they want to know its secrets. I think they have been taking tech from Destiny for a long time. Their ship seemed to look very closely to it on the inside. Same with the FTL drive when they left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Liked it so far only watched 20 mins of it's been a long time coming for some et style actionI think there making this show with a lot less momentum compared to atlantis which was pretty much go go go from the start....

Sherifu wrote: »
    I think i'm right in saying it was these aliens that detached from Destiny in the first half of the season.
    *cough*
    sutty wrote: »
    Something I have not seen anyone comment on is the fact that these are the aliens we seen in the end of Air part 3. Meaning they have been on Destiny since before the Humans. As Rush said, they want to know its secrets. I think they have been taking tech from Destiny for a long time. Their ship seemed to look very closely to it on the inside. Same with the FTL drive when they left.
    I think you're right in what you say. They are the Somali pirates of this galaxy and they were laying claim to the Destiny before these pesky humans showed up. They seem to want Destiny itself so presumably they couldn't crack whatever command codes the ancients left in place. They'll bring a much needed boost to the second half of the season I hope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,387 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

sutty wrote: »
    I'm going with the stones interference was from the aliens mind probe devices and maybe a proximity to Destiny. I had the feeling its was the same alien that Young linked with twice. Maybe one that was probing both Rush and Cloe.
    It was something specific to that one alien anyway. As Young could not re-establish a connection.

But I think those are inconsistencies: Like why he couldnt link to another of the aliens; Why after failing to pick up on the interference from the aliens, he simply didnt wind up connected through to the pentagon; and where in the hell did Rush find his clothes again? Or was he wearing Desert Fatigues that day
    Yeah theyre undoubtedly the same aliens.

Rush said they were unsuccessful in getting past the Ship's defenses. What that means is anyones guess. I think its more about the command codes and such. Destiny Predates Ancient Gene Tech (according to Rush - Darkness) so Im not exactly sure it was a case of the ship being preferrential to humans or anything - simply the fact that it was made by Ancient Humans probably made it easier for Earth scientists to get their head around the tech than the aliens. Also, theres no telling how much time they've had in contact with destiny: weeks, months, years? Either way they didnt know who had just gotten aboard so they ran for the hills until they could learn more.

I think Destiny may have just recently entered their zone of space. And is getting deeper, evidenced by the first few worlds and systems we've seen; finally ending up on a planet with one of their Wrecks. And it was definitely a science vessel. Those fighters too seem to be very lightly armed and are more likely to be geared toward exploring the surface of a planet in teams. Probably a deep-space expedition; expecting only light resistance from a derelict ship or rogues at best, outside of their sphere of influence. They'll likely run home and get some backup now though. Who knows precisely when they might catch the trail again though.

6a00d8341c630a53ef0133ec69d7d8970b-800wi
    sgu_space_alien.jpg

How utterly stargate though, when rush when hand to hand with one. Just brings you back to the days where we were fighting Jaffa with MP5's :D

Advertisement